GS compared to R - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-25-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

GS compared to R

Just noticed this subforum, and for the time being I have a '14 GS and a '16 R although I consigned the GS to the dealer two days ago to sell.

For me it's not very practical to try to keep and ride both bikes so I've decided to sell the GS. My GS is well out of warranty with 52K miles but has served me well with nearly zero off road miles. I'm long-legged and fit the GS nicely, and its weather protection is fine for my dry-ish and warm riding area. But, I found a used R at a decent price so I bought it with 8K miles on the odo.

I like the R's shift assist but don't really notice the improvements in ESA and ABS. Clearly it's lighter and peppier and is a little better in the twisties. I've added BMW's tall windscreen and tall (not sport) seat attempting, successfully, to improve its "touring" comfort. For all those reasons the R is the keeper.

As soon as I owned the R I started to raise its seat height. I tried BMW's Sport (highest, 840mm) seat and the "high" 820mm seat. So now I have three seats including the Standard seat. My choice now is to keep the 820mm seat due to its shaping and sufficient height. Although I have a 34" inseam I've never really had a problem with knee-bend on non-GS BMW's. So the R is fine for me, although earlier I didn't imagine it would be as good as it's turned out to be.
JellyRoll and Kenneth Lawson like this.

'16 R1200R.
Gone: '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM

Interesting; I love my 2015 R however I've never ridden a GS so I'm going to test one when my bike goes in for it's next service in a few weeks. Like you, I've got long legs and I'm fine with the higher seat (specified from new). I'm only testing the GS because I want to know why so many riders buy them over the R!

Ade
post #3 of 23 Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeR View Post
I'm only testing the GS because I want to know why so many riders buy them over the R! Ade

Greetings from sunny Oz, Ade! I've owned several Rs and several GSs, at one stage swapping back and forth over quite a short period as each satisfied a particular perceived need at that time.

I have also been guilty more than once of perhaps rather flippantly comparing the two by saying that the R is a shorter-legged GS, and the GS a longer-legged R. In fact, the differences run quite a bit deeper than that, despite the two models sharing a great deal in the engine and transmission departments, so I for one will be very interested in your appraisal of the GS from your upcoming test ride.

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Gone but not forgotten - 4 x GSs, 5 x cam-head Rs, 1 x F800 GT, 1 x LC R.

post #4 of 23 Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 AM

my buddy and I went down to the dealership cause he needed to do his 6k service on his 16k GT, so while we was there, I test rode a GS and he rode a GSA (which he bought that day)....I thought the bike has some similarities, but it WAS NOT my bike. I think for what it is, it is a fantastic bike. However, I think if the f800gs had a shaft drive, and I was going to tour some place that went offroad occasionally, then thats what I would use. To be able to go almost anywhere you want and not have to worry about your chain and sprocket would be heaven.

A few of us are doing the TAT later this year, my friend (with his GSA) and me....well, I did some research and decided to get a DRZ. It will do well I think, But if I had the money, I would love to have a GS in some form.

Jb
laciga likes this.

2016 R1200R with a tail tidy.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Well, the R has been in for it's 6k service and a pair of Roadtec 01's (a bit more 'sporty' feeling than the PR4's). Tested a 2017 GS with standard height seat for a couple of hours whilst the service was done.

Firstly, the engine is Euro 4 and the changes to the gearbox. The gearchange is definitely quieter and smoother than my '16 but the GSAP is about the same. Couldn't really feel any other differences.

I think I get the GS popularity; with dynamic suspension and the GS riding position plus the wind protection, it's unbelievably comfortable and as easy to ride as an R (I have the high seat and the distance to the ground felt the same as the GS).

It did feel slightly bulkier due to the bodywork and screen but the main difference was the front end feel with the Telelever front end and 19" front wheel. Not as precise as an R and slightly 'floatier', not a problem just different.

Would I change my R for a GS? Whilst I've still got my Harley for longer trips with my Harley riding friends, no. The R suits me better for the back roads and day rides. If I only had one bike then maybe, but then I would be the same as all those other GS riders...
post #6 of 23 Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=AdeR;456913].

Firstly, the engine is Euro 4 and the changes to the gearbox. The gearchange is definitely quieter and smoother than my '16 but the GSAP is about the same. [QUOTE]

The gearbox on my '17 Roadster - as with my sadly short-lived '17 GS - is a delight: butter-smooth changes are sublime and it's hard to put a foot wrong. IMHO, it makes the clutchless feature entirely redundant. Surely one of the joys of riding a motorcycle - as opposed to just sitting on it - is the ability to effect such gear changes effortlessly, silently and without any perceptible jerking, while moving at some speed.

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Gone but not forgotten - 4 x GSs, 5 x cam-head Rs, 1 x F800 GT, 1 x LC R.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Well, the R has been in for it's 6k service and a pair of Roadtec 01's (a bit more 'sporty' feeling than the PR4's). Tested a 2017 GS with standard height seat for a couple of hours whilst the service was done.

Firstly, the engine is Euro 4 and the changes to the gearbox. The gearchange is definitely quieter and smoother than my '16 but the GSAP is about the same. Couldn't really feel any other differences.

I think I get the GS popularity; with dynamic suspension and the GS riding position plus the wind protection, it's unbelievably comfortable and as easy to ride as an R (I have the high seat and the distance to the ground felt the same as the GS).

It did feel slightly bulkier due to the bodywork and screen but the main difference was the front end feel with the Telelever front end and 19" front wheel. Not as precise as an R and slightly 'floatier', not a problem just different.

Would I change my R for a GS? Whilst I've still got my Harley for longer trips with my Harley riding friends, no. The R suits me better for the back roads and day rides. If I only had one bike then maybe, but then I would be the same as all those other GS riders...
The attached youtube link provides a well thought out and informed RR LC product review and general observation of the differences between the LC RR & GS ... Aussie Style

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...A0WWCbDFqQlX1A
wasserboxer likes this.

mikeS - Sydney
2013 - R1200R
2007 - R1200R
2002 - R1150R
post #8 of 23 Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeS View Post
The attached youtube link provides a well thought out and informed RR LC product review and general observation of the differences between the LC RR & GS ... Aussie Style

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...A0WWCbDFqQlX1A
Yes, seen that, very amusing. He does make various good points. As I bought the Sport version, the small flyscreen (and Puig sportscreen I fitted) remove the headlight reflection problem. Having long legs and the high seat improve the leg-bend issue, though the GS is even better in that respect. Both bikes are essentially the same so both are excellent, so no losers here!
mikeS likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-17-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, seen that, very amusing. He does make various good points. As I bought the Sport version, the small flyscreen (and Puig sportscreen I fitted) remove the headlight reflection problem. Having long legs and the high seat improve the leg-bend issue, though the GS is even better in that respect. Both bikes are essentially the same so both are excellent, so no losers here!
Hi AdeR, Do you think the BMW factory touring screen will have the same issue as the sportscreen?

mikeS - Sydney
2013 - R1200R
2007 - R1200R
2002 - R1150R
post #10 of 23 Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeS View Post
Hi AdeR, Do you think the BMW factory touring screen will have the same issue as the sportscreen?
If it's attached in the same way with the same lower screen angles, yes. I would probably go for the Puig touring screen in tinted or dark smoke. I haven't noticed any reflection problem with the sport version. The Puig screen comes with brackets (or mounts straight to the BMW flyscreen bracket), is good value and quality. The only issue is potential buffeting with the higher touring screen, which is dependent on rider height, type of helmet etc. The sport screen just keeps some windblast off the chest (and looks good), fine for day rides but not exactly touring type protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page