2009 R12R ABS normal function question - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

2009 R12R ABS normal function question

looking to get back in the R12R game (regretfully sold my 2013 last year)- seriously considering making a move on a 2009, ~6300K miles, mint condition based on pics and seller description. owner seems like straight shooter, but doesn't know the bike nor BMW's very well. initially he said it did not have ABS, but as i noticed the circular ring on the inside diameter of the left brake disk and the ABS sensor, in the pics- he realizes that yes it does have it. his initial sentiment was that there was no ABS light lighting up on the dash, so it must not have it.

question is.....though i know the bike "has" ABS, is it working properly? is there supposed to be a light on the dash that comes on with turning the key on and/or starting the bike up???

many thanks for any clarification on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 AM

Garage
Yes, the brake fail light comes on with the ignition but clears once you move away. Would you buy the bike on photos only or are you planning on taking a test ride?

Dave

2009 R1200R Roadster
2005 R1200ST
Don't forget, motorcyclists have more fun in a group
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

ok, thanks for the info.
definitely not buying until riding and seeing in person. it's about a 2 hour drive from me, so wanted to make sure i had the details straight on the ABS issue.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM

If there is no light during the initial system test (Key on) the question becomes have the bulb(s) been removed to cover a failed or removed ABS module? The test sequence for the ABS is once the key is on the ABS system performs a self-test and the lights flash until you ride off and they receive a signal from the wheel sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page