CenTX to Appalachian Mountains 4/15-4/23 - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

CenTX to Appalachian Mountains 4/15-4/23

I am all ready to hit the road this Saturday, will leave Austin early in the morning, hoping to make it across the Mississippi River that day.

Sunday on to Birmingham or a bit further. Monday Tail of the Dragon, then I will stay at a forum members B&B near the Dragon for two nights.

I am planning to ride as many of the nice routes in the mountains as I can over the next 5 days and go up BlueRidge Parkway possibly up to the Virginia border. On my way back I'll stop the Barber museum.

I'll post a pic a day, to get started, here is my machine ready to roll!

Olaf
Austin, TX

2012 R1200R Classic, Ohlins shocks, Wunderlich Trophy fairing with wind deflector (occasionally), Arrow exhaust, Russell Day Long seat, Booster plug, Wunderlich risers, Knight Design foot peg lowering kit, Wunderlich bar end mirrors, German LED taillight, Mudsling, Grip Puppies, deflapped, decanisterized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherBMW View Post
I am all ready to hit the road this Saturday, will leave Austin early in the morning, hoping to make it across the Mississippi River that day.

Sunday on to Birmingham or a bit further. Monday Tail of the Dragon, then I will stay at a forum members B&B near the Dragon for two nights.

I am planning to ride as many of the nice routes in the mountains as I can over the next 5 days and go up BlueRidge Parkway possibly up to the Virginia border. On my way back I'll stop the Barber museum.

I'll post a pic a day, to get started, here is my machine ready to roll!
Sounds amazing! I'm heading to Asheville NC in September for Overland Expo East, so I'd be happy to hear your write-up if you're so inclined.
anotherBMW likes this.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Gray
post #3 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 PM

All-black bike + matching gear looks great! I look forward to reading your tales of the trip in due course. Safe riding.

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Racing Red fully-optioned 2017 R1200 R LC Roadster, delivered January 28th 2017

post #4 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM

While in Birmingham AL do make time for a visit to the museum at Barber Motorsport Park.
Get to Maggie Valley NC and visit the Wheels Through Time Museum.
Not far from the Dragon find the Cherohala Skyway, a beautify national scenic highway between Robbinsville NC and Tellico Plains TN., do not miss this ride! Have lunch at the TelliCafe in Tellico Plains--- yummy!!! index

Be extremely cautious on the Dragon, many riders/drivers with little or no skills to handle this technical road go there as a destination ride. They're in over there head and a hazard not only to them selves but to oncoming traffic. I've seen numerous accidents caused by those riders/divers when they fail to negotiate a cuvre and meet oncoming traffic head-on with disastrous consequences for both parties.

Have fun, be safe!

Paul
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Got more for ya...
If ya can find the time head down to N. Georgia just below the NC border. Some of the best roads in the SE in are in that area, and my favorite riding area on the east coast. Head toward Suches GA and ride RT 60, 180, Russell Scenic Hwy, 129, etc.... take a look here: Two Wheels of Suches | Motorcycle Campground & Lodge in Suches, Georgia

Paul
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul, most of that is already on my list, I have 5 days in the area and will bring the Butler map

Olaf
Austin, TX

2012 R1200R Classic, Ohlins shocks, Wunderlich Trophy fairing with wind deflector (occasionally), Arrow exhaust, Russell Day Long seat, Booster plug, Wunderlich risers, Knight Design foot peg lowering kit, Wunderlich bar end mirrors, German LED taillight, Mudsling, Grip Puppies, deflapped, decanisterized.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-11-2017, 07:27 PM

looks like an awesome trip. looking forward to the pics.

2011 R1200R classic
post #8 of 42 Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Garage
Fantastic! Looking forward to trip reports when you get a chance.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 AM

Good luck, you've picked out a nice area to see, riding's great.

'11 - R1200R
'73 - XLCH
BMWMOA #193702
post #10 of 42 Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Fantastic! Looking forward to trip reports when you get a chance.

I'll do my best, hopefully I can post a pic or two a day, practicing now in my living room with Tapatalk

Olaf
Austin, TX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page