> Search
 > FAQ
»
» Other BMW Motorcycle Sites

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Default Considering new R1200R

Hi,
I'm considering a new R1200R after being away from motorcycling for 10 years. I had a few /2's and a r75/5 years ago. I like the boxer engine and the looks of the classic but wondered how it handles around town where most of my riding will take place. I'd like to do some 500 mile trips from time to time but mostly the 3 miles to work during the week and trips to the grocery store, beach. Let me know your thoughts on the versatility and functionality of this bike. I'm. 6' 185 lbs. Thanks
jdb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #2

I have had mine a week and I love it. I commute 15 miles one way to work and around town, have put 325 miles on it this past week and it works for me. I was looking for a boxer engine on a standard bike with modern technology and I think I found it.
andy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

So its not too heavy for a lot of stop and go traffic or parking lots?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You really should take a test ride to feel the Classic for yourself jbd.
Everyone on this website LOVES the bike, or they wouldn't be here.
If the last Boxer you threw a leg over was an R75/5, LOL, you are in for one really BIG surprise. I won't spoil it for you. Just, don't forget to take your checkbook.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

I commute from a suburb 25 miles into Chicago, and do errands. In typical top and go traffic, my '12 Classic steers easily and I can ride, if you can call it riding, in 8 mph traffic. Very stable at any real speed, good gas mileage. Buy a louder horn, and you're set
drDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
las

I bought my 2012 r12r ClSsic in April. I commute on open roads to NYC where traffic is stop and go. My bike handles well in both environs. I just did my 9,000 mile oil change. I couldn't be happier with the bike. Before this one, I had an f800 r. The extra weight is cancelled out by the boxer's low center go gravity. The storage options allow for much versatility; easy to put on and take off for long trips- a top case for committing. If you want to test ride a bunch of bikes before you make up your mind, dont bring your checkbook when you demo the r12r. Everyone that does, doesn't seem to make it out of the showroom without leaving a deposit.
las is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #7

Take a test ride! It's definitely worth your time. You can google reviews of the bike to get an idea. It is a very multi-talented bike. Don't forget the heated grips!

2011 BMW R1200R | Rider Magazine Motorcycle Reviews
Classic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

The other bike I was considering is the f700gs but I really like the boxer engine and the looks of the classic r1200r. Plus all the ads about it being a good bike for women is kind of a turn off for me. It seems like the R may suit my needs for an around town ride and long distance touring bike. Any thoughts on new vs used? It seems like they don't hold their value that well. A lot of bikes out there that are a few years old and considerably less $. I did find a new 2011 classic at a dealer nearby. I'm going to get in there this week and give it a ride. I assume it's the same as the 2012?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb500 View Post
I did find a new 2011 classic at a dealer nearby. I'm going to get in there this week and give it a ride. I assume it's the same as the 2012?
Hey jbd, I agree with everybody, you need to go out and try it yourself, I like the F too, I have some friends that go all over the place with theirs and love it, I went to the dealer to test an F800 because I love the way it looked and thought about riding on the city with that bike was a great idea because of the height. Don't need to tell you what happened right?

I love my R1200R, ride in NYC which is as stop and go as you can get, don't have a car so I use it to go grocery shopping, do yourself a favor and buy the saddle bags right away.

There are no changes from 2011 to 2012, the only thing is that the Classic is not as good overall as the Matte gray

Another great option for stop and go is the new Honda NC700X, it has the gas tank under the seat so you can storage a full face helmet where the gas tank supposed to go that's cool, you can get a new one for 7k but they also have a package for 9k that includes ABS combined brakes, just like the R and a DUAL CLUTCH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION that you can make manual at any time, stop and go traffic makes your left hand extremely tired.

This bike looks pretty similar to the F but you can get it for less $ and they have a great saddlebag and top case available.
If I was on your shoes, I'll buy the R1200R and my second option would be this Honda thing.

Last edited by Hoshiko; 08-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Hoshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshiko View Post

There are no changes from 2011 to 2012, the only thing is that the Classic is not as good overall as the Matte gray

Another great option for stop and go is the new Honda NC700X, it has the gas tank under the seat so you can storage a full face helmet where the gas tank supposed to go that's cool, you can get a new one for 7k but they also have a package for 9k that includes ABS combined brakes, just like the R and a DUAL CLUTCH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION that you can make manual at any time, stop and go traffic makes your left hand extremely tired.

This bike looks pretty similar to the F but you can get it for less $ and they have a great saddlebag and top case available.
If I was on your shoes, I'll buy the R1200R and my second option would be this Honda thing.

Honda thing lol - It's lacking a shaft drive!

One detriment to the Classic is the spoke wheels but I'm assuming the gs you were considering is also spoke. Only other issue with the Classic is the envious looks of the guys riding boring old matte grey bikes

I also agree you should consider luggage before riding away
Classic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement