final drive questions - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Newportcycle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

final drive questions

looking to purchase low mileage 2008 or 2009 R12R, have several i'm looking at, all at or under 10K miles.
all listed as having no mechanical issues and in mint condition. regular service having been done.

have read some about final drive issues, but can't seem to get a clear sense of what exactly are the issues- sounds like some metal cracks develop on a flange? and oil seals going bad?

not sure what years were affected?

do i need to worry about this on a 2008 or 2009?
does BMW cover repair/replacement indefinitely if these parts fail?

many thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 PM

I think this is some info about the flange: ?03-?11 BMW K- and R-Series Motorcycles Recalled ? BMW Motorcycle Magazine

However there is something else to consider when buying a very low mileage bike. My 2012 had 2,000 mls on it when I bought her in early 2015, so it has sat quite a bit. And after riding for 2 months, the engine shaft seal started leaking (seal between engine and transmission). Luckily I was still under warranty, it was a $600 job to fix that seal, 99% of it labor...Boxers don't like to sit.

Olaf
Austin, TX

2012 R1200R Classic, Ohlins shocks, Wunderlich Trophy fairing with wind deflector (occasionally), Arrow exhaust, Russell Day Long seat, Booster plug, Wunderlich risers, Knight Design foot peg lowering kit, Wunderlich bar end mirrors, German LED taillight, Mudsling, Grip Puppies, deflapped, decanisterized.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 AM

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La., aka New Orleans
flange was a recall

some reports of final drive failures...enough to notice, no warranty, mine failed twice...12ish K and 53k

fuel strip failure...OFTEN though recent replacements may be better? warranted.

all of the above applies to 2008, 2009 and more

IMO, on balance nothing is worrisome enough to prohibit purchase, but you need to be aware.

That's not a lot of miles for a bike that old, that's a good and a bad thing. when you get it be sure to change all fluids, filters, essentially get a 24k service, I think.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 AM

As far as the rear wheel flange's cracking, if your purchasing from the original owner, they should have gotten a recall notice if their bike was an effected model. As for seals, they go bad from time to time.....period. When they go bad is anyone's guess, some go for 400k miles with no issue, some 30k. Final drive seal leaks are a 30 minute fix in your garage. The shaft seal repair that Olaf experienced is not common, but can happen, he had his done at the dealer, I did mine in my garage in 12 hours and for about $300 dollars. FYI, there are vast number of owners who have never had these seals leak. IF IT IS GOING TO BOTHER YOU DONT BUY IT. If on the other hand you understand that things happen go for it, the ergonomics, power, handling and overall feel of these bikes are not akin to anything else on the market IMOP and mine is the most perfect fitting motorcycle I've had in 40 years of riding. Good luck in your decision.
anotherBMW likes this.

'11 - R1200R
'73 - XLCH
BMWMOA #193702
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

all of that is helpful info. thank you.
additional question then is---- regarding the flange crack issue and recall-- if that's NOT been done on the bike, am I am able to take that into a dealership to have it performed? is there a time limit on when this must be done? and is it all serial numbers for the years affected or just certain ones?
thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Garage
Hrm, I have over 10k miles on my 2015 R, I'm always sad for the bikes that don't get ridden.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Gray
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La., aka New Orleans
I forgot about the rear wheel flange...sometimes a visible crack could be seen. IIRC the cause was over torquing the rear wheel (55-60 nM, right?)

The flange I was referring to was under the gas tank.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillzt View Post
all of that is helpful info. thank you.
additional question then is---- regarding the flange crack issue and recall-- if that's NOT been done on the bike, am I am able to take that into a dealership to have it performed? is there a time limit on when this must be done? and is it all serial numbers for the years affected or just certain ones?
thanks again.
If the rear wheel drive flange recall for replacement has not been completed, you can approach any BMW dealer/agent to get it done (incl. the fuel pump flange). It was a essentially a world-wide recall affecting many models. No time limit! You'll find posts/threads related to it on this forum and many others with a search.
Btw, if you provide BMW the VIN they can tell you what has been done.

2010 R1200R (Blue) - Michelin PR3s, Remus Hexacone muffler, MudSling rear fender, ZTechnik-VStream windscreen & licence plate helmet holder, WunderLich crash bars & oil cooler grill & throttle-lock & mirror extenders, Sheepskin seat cover, BMW panniers & topbox.

2006 R1200S
2004 R1200C Montauk

Last edited by Peter B; 05-18-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page