New Lid - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Btweenknees
  • 1 Post By mcmonkey mcbean

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

New Lid

842EC372-483B-42EA-808B-9A83679D2AD6-6845-0000076C090D22ED.jpeg

I bit the bullet and laid down the cash for a Aria Defiant Pro helmet. It cuts through the wind like a knife. I was using an old Mod Zeus that was comfortable but loud and was not the best when turning your head when speeding along. Also had a used Mod Nolan with Bluetooth but after an hour pressure point on the forehead was hurting. Luckily the wife dropped it when handing it to me, hence a new lid for me. Now will just need to get the integrated drop down Pro smoked shield or maybe was thinking on getting the blue mirror shield too, but don't know how well they hold up, we get a lot of bugs in NC.

The helmet was on sale cause it was last years model so got boots too. Put my hiking boots in the closet.

Having purpose built high quality gear really makes a difference.

Is their a piece of equipment or farkle you put on that made a world of difference or even something that was the worst experience you ever had?

I just pickup my 2014 blue R1200R a month ago and the one thing I will probably do will be the suspension cause I top the scale at 280lbs and can tell it will need to be done, but will wait till winter.
Panzermann, grahamspc and mikeS like this.

New to me 2014 R1200R "Electric Blue".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know how the lid performs, and if as quiet as the manufacturer says so.

Know the Shoei GT air was a little more noisey than expected.
Before I bought the helmet, questioned whether that top vent the shape it was and how high it sat on top of the lid, whether it really was going to be that quiet.
Wish I would go more with my gut instinct, than what manufactures hype lead me to believe.
mikeS likes this.

Currently a 2014 BMW r1200r Darkwhite odo 20,000km's

Cheers...Erin

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer/Arrow exhausts / 2007 BMW r1200r Black odo 75,000km's (Traded)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btweenknees View Post
Attachment 72097 ........
Is their a piece of equipment or farkle you put on that made a world of difference or even something that was the worst experience you ever had? ........
Congratulations on the new helmet, good bit of kit those. I've spoken with quite a few Arai helmet owners and most are very happy.

The one piece of gear that made all the difference to me was a Widder electric vest. Living in Maine, the spring and fall riding seasons are beautiful but temperatures can often be in the 30's and 40's for most of the day. I had always resigned myself to the torturous experience that riding in those temperatures was for me, until I got that heated vest ....... damm it was like being outside on a sunny day, warm.

'11 - R1200R
'73 - XLCH
BMWMOA #193702

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 AM

Garage
A new helmet always makes a big difference to me...new smell and brand new unscathed shield...my dealer has a new Shoie GT Air coming in for me this week(doesn't stock the color I wanted)... Can't wait.

2016 R1200R
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I could of used a heated vest this morning, but still wasn't that bad at 55 degrees. Ride home will be in the mid-80's. the dealer I got the Aria from had Shoei but just qwuest, Mod Neo-Tec, and RF something? Now need to just upgrade the suspension this winter and new/used seat. The seat I have looks good on top but the pan is cracked from the original owner taking the rubber grommets off the front to lower it causing it to ruin the pan mounts. I can't even try a Sargent out cause you need a good pan to start with. since the OEM seat is almost 500 dollars new I may just roll the dice, try a Corbin seat.

If anyone has a ripped or messed up seat with a good pan let me know i can order the Sargent.

I have bought one thing for every bike I have owned.. Grip Puppies.. LOL. my go to purchase to help stop the numb hands, doesn't get rid of it completely but does help.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

You can find some good buys of second hand seats on Ebay....to fit your bike....thats if you can be bothered searching...just saying.

Currently a 2014 BMW r1200r Darkwhite odo 20,000km's

Cheers...Erin

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer/Arrow exhausts / 2007 BMW r1200r Black odo 75,000km's (Traded)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I been on eBay every couple days to see if something new shows up, but not much to see. One guy that is the first to pop up the last week or more wants $124.00 for a ripped seat and the pan is not 100% either, if the pan was solid I would probly get it. I will keep looking though.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Garage
Shoei GT Air

Just picked up my new lid from my dealer....Shoei GT Air...this is my second one of these..my red/white/blue GT is 4 or 5 years old...liked it so much picked another up in a different colorway ....matte black/hi viz yellow...the main reason I like this lid is the internal drop down sun visor and if Arai had this feature I probably would have tried that this time around...over the years I have had several Arai's and a couple of Shoei's...just checked and with this latest purchase Shoei and Arai are dead even at 4 each in the stable....the matte black is interesting as it has a kind of tactile feel to it and there is some interesting texture across the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5078.jpg (200.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5067.jpg (272.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5073.jpg (151.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5074.jpg (171.3 KB, 29 views)

2016 R1200R
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM

I have a Defiant that I really enjoy, although it's not the quietest lid around. It is, however, really great with airflow, which is super useful on really hot days.

The only other piece of gear that I've found eye-opening is my Vanson jacket -- I just feel safer wearing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page