R1200R, 2016 vs 2017 - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

R1200R, 2016 vs 2017

Hi,

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a R1200R and trying to decide between a 2016 or 2017. I've ridden both and the changes to the transmission really does make a significant difference, but not sure if it's worth the extra $1500, thoughts???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 PM

It's interesting that you've noticed a significant difference in shifting. Other "reviewers" do seem to generally notice some difference but don't describe it as significant. If I were to notice that kind of difference I don't think I'd be happy with the 2016 for very long.

Fortunately for me, I've never ridden a 2017 model and think the 2016 is fine.
Panzermann likes this.

'16 R1200R.
Gone: '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-03-2017, 08:52 PM

Garage
The ABS Pro may be the icing on the cake that could tempt you to 2017.

Otherwise it's a matter of colour choice, although the best colour is available in both models.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!

post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 AM

Garage
The transmission on my 2015 seems fine. I have few complaints about it. Just that you can't really use the shift assist upshifting from first to second gear and at low speeds. That isn't a big deal though since it is easy to use the clutch. Not sure that is fixed on the 17.

Also sometimes it lurches forward and clunks when shifting from neutral to first at a stop light, but my other bikes did that too.

Seems like they made improvements to smoothen out the transmission? I guess since I never rode a 17, I don't know what I am missing. I am not sure how it can be "significantly" better though since there isn't really anything wrong with mine. You know better than I do.

ABS pro is a neat feature, but it can be added on to a 15-16.

If the transmission and the color changes are that important to you, then get the 17. Otherwise, I am sure you can get a really good deal on a new 16 or a great deal on a gently used 15-16.

Could you please elaborate on what the significant differences are with the transmissions? I am curious. Thanks.
Panzermann likes this.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Grey Metallic D-ESA

SSR Carbon Fiber Windscreen / Hepco & Becker Engine Guard, Alurack, and Junior 55 Top Case / Wunderlich Bar Risers and Radiator Guard / Grip Puppies / Knight Design Lowered Front Foot Pegs / Booster Plug / BMW Navigator V / Other Tiny Bling Stuff
post #5 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Good question, without knowing the tech behind it all I can say is the transmission on the 16 had more of a 'clunk' where the 17 was much smoother (like buttah, lol!). To be fair I didn't miss a shift on either bike but it was pretty noticeable after riding the 16 first.

Still trying to decide if the additional features, slightly preferred color (Grey 17 vs White 16) and possible higher resale value is worth the extra 2K...
post #6 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
I am more than happy with my '15 even with a clunky shift from neutral to 1st. The rest of the changes are fine. Never get a false neutral and all are smooth using the quick shifter (correctly). Using the clutch is a tad clunky but not enough to make me want to sell a remarkable bike. I would take the '16 and spend the savings on exhaust/hugger/GPS/luggage/etc.....

SC Projects Exhaust Can + Wunderlich Hugger + BMW Head Protectors + Evotech Rad Guard + Puig Touring Screen (only for those rainy long trips) + Lamin-X Headlight Protector Film + Totalstickers3D Tank Pads
post #7 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 06:58 PM

Garage
I suppose the other aspect to consider is the inclusion of a judder damper in the transmission - could potentially contribute to longer life due to less shock transmitted to components.
Ivabign likes this.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Garage
I found my transmission on the 16 bedded in quite nicely after a few thousand miles. Ymmv.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM

If you're going to buy a new BMW you might as well buy the latest and best technology. I think that's why we buy BMW's anyway. As far as my 2016 R, my transmission is as good or better than any motorcycle transmission I've owned. As far as I know, the only transmission difference for 2017 is the addition of a shudder damper. Honestly. I'm not sure what it does.

Last edited by 702Boxer; 05-05-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Garage
This is what I read is different about the transmission:
Quote:
For 2017, all R1200 models receive judder dampers on the transmission output shaft (formerly standard equipment for just the R1200GS Adventure), along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.
Panzermann likes this.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Grey Metallic D-ESA

SSR Carbon Fiber Windscreen / Hepco & Becker Engine Guard, Alurack, and Junior 55 Top Case / Wunderlich Bar Risers and Radiator Guard / Grip Puppies / Knight Design Lowered Front Foot Pegs / Booster Plug / BMW Navigator V / Other Tiny Bling Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page