»
 > Search
 > FAQ
»
» Other BMW Motorcycle Sites

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Default Super Sharkskin Grip Covers

As many on the forum have had complaints about the grips on our bikes being too narrow and skinny. Personally, after an hour or so my two middle fingers on my throttle hand get tingly and 90 minutes into my ride they become sore.

I read great reviews about this product and for $24.95 I thought I'd give it a shot. It took me only about 10 mins to install and then I took my bike out for a three hour ride.

The Good:
-I had no pains/aches in my fingers on the three hour ride so that solved that problem.
-The Super Sharkskins totally blend onto the bike and look like they came stock.
-Easy to remove if they are no longer wanted or needed
-They work with our heated grips

Not So Good:
-They felt way too big and bulky at first. Even several rides later, they still feel weird to me.

It is certainly a cheap alternative to the stock grips and one I'd say is worth a try if comfort is an issue for you with the stock grips.

Here is a review from a bike magazine with some pics.

Original Grip Buddies Super Sharkskin Motorcycle Grips Review | Rider Magazine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Grip covers made all the difference on my bike. I went with cheapies from ebay, but they make the grips so comfortable that before I was certain that I'd be adding risers, but now I no longer feel the need to spend the extra money. It just feels better overall.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Agreed. I got a set of cheapies from A&S and they are holding up fine. It's weird, the G650gs I had before my 1200 had proper, comfortable grips, and the 1200 has these weenie pencil grips. Wonder why?
2012 CLASSIC: Clearwater "Darla" LED's, Lunasee Active Side Lights, ZTechnik windscreen and crashbar, Wonderlich wind deflector, chrome cylinder head covers, USB port, Rowe PDM 60 power distribution module, Stebel 139db Nautilus horn; Freedom-air cushion, abdeckring, Givi top case, City Lids pannier covers, Storm chrome handguards
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

I have beeemer buddies. Much better than the stock grips.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

I bought a set of these after someone mentioned them on this board. I think they're OK. Easy enough to install, they look OK (but not great)... I'm just happy to have my grips be less skinny.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Thanks for the advice Fleuger99.

I can't get tired of recomending the $10.00 Crampbuster Crampbuster - CB2

I have 2, one for each side.

With shark skin or similar, you still have to grip around to accelerate, this crampbusters let you do that with your hand open, and keep them open as long as you want.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

+1 on the Beemerbuddies and Crampbuster. The Crampbuster wouldn't grab on the stock grips and required constant re-adjusting. The new grip covers solve both problems of skinny grips and slipping Crampbuster.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Hi all
Had the same problem with the original grips being too skinny and slippery, the grip buddies however were too bulky for my taste.
The solution- a set of tennis racket grip tape, they add just enough diameter to the grip and more importantly, they stick well to the glove, thus no force is needed to operate the trottle. And the cost is almost nothing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement