BMW R1200R Forum banner

Hand guards for 2015/2016 R

35K views 78 replies 28 participants last post by  jrsbike 
#1 ·
Hand guards

Thinking of adding handguards sometime down the track (need to buy the bike first!)

I've seen Barkbusters Carbon guards fitted to an S1000R and they looked pretty sharp - reckon they'd suit the R12RLC.

Carbon Guards Only - Barkbusters

Mocked up a picture as per the attachment.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello Friends, I've been thinking of getting some handguards to go on my 2012 R1200R. My only complaint about most of those available is that they all show their make very prominently, and short of respraying them, I think the names detract from the bike. I have fitted SW Motor engine guards, but again, having to find a way to remove their "label" without making a mess of them. Call me finicky if you wish, but I'm not sure I want to advertise for them, after all, I'm paying for the parts. RobA.

#7 ·
Hello Friends, I've been thinking of getting some handguards to go on my 2012 R1200R. My only complaint about most of those available is that they all show their make very prominently ...
Agree wholeheartedly. Barkbusters have reduced the size of their name on the Carbon model, but I'd still prefer it not to be there. OK on dirt bikes (those riders love all their brands displayed) but not on a roadie. Theoretically, you could probably sand back the logo on the Carbons and then re-coat, but it's a lot of trouble.

BTW, I'm not looking for any impact protection (other than large bugs) - that's only for dirt bike/off-road models from my experience.

BTBTW - dropped a deposit on an R1200RLC Exclusive with touring pack this morning. :001_tt1: About a three month order time for bikes not on the showroom floor, and I didn't want keyless and shift assist, which BMW Oz is speccing for their standard orders (presumably hoping buyers won't want to wait and will spend the extra).

#6 ·
I have read on another forum where people have bought hand guards designed for a 1200GS and installed them on a 2007-2014 R1200R with success.

I am tempted to try it myself. The GS handguards do not have manufacturer labels applied to them either.

Search on eBay for R1200GS handguards and you will see a bunch for sale.

#11 ·
Hi guys,

I've got fitted 1200GS LC handguards on my 2011 Classic. Done and dusted in less than an hour. Local hardware store had all necessary bits and bobs.
I like the look and performance?

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Barkbusters has responded to customer feedback - they advised me today that they have now released a version with very demure branding, and sent a pic of them fitted to a Ducati Scrambler; with two point fastening, but bar-end only is also available. They'll be on my Christmas list, I think.

Your GS solution would suit the bike, too - which model GS are they from, Snapping Twig?

Attachments

#15 ·
I've fiitted a pair of Barkbuster Storm guards to my 2015 R1200R. These where originally fitted to my Ducati Monster, but I modified the mount to fit the threaded bars on the R1200R, simply had to drill out the end to fit the larger bolt and add a spacer so everything cleared the levers. I really only use the hand guards in the cooler months and they'll come off in summer.

Reactions: Panzermann
#16 ·
Handguards 2015 R1200R

I have been working on getting my R1200R ready for winter riding. I have a good lead on two windshields, either of which could provide enough protection to all ow me to ride in sub-freezing temperatures. Now what I need are some recommendations for handguards.

Even with heated gloves, riding when it is really cold is a lot more comfortable if your hands are protected from the wind. As we all know, without wind protection, heated grips are a lot less effective too.

Can anyone recommend a good set of winter-style handguards for this bike? I'd prefer something that does not require that I removed the handlebar end weights. Since this is a street bike, I won't need handguards for busting brush off road.

Pete

#26 ·
After some near-futile searching for handguards for my 2015 R1200R, I ended up ordering Bark-Buster Storm handguards from Twisted Throttle.

The Givi handguards looked good, but I could not find a dealer in the USA who had them. Revzilla lists them in the their online catalog, but they were out of stock.

Unfortunately, finding some components for BMW bikes in the USA can be much more difficult than for those of you in the UK or Europe.

I have been working on getting my R1200R ready for winter riding. I have a good lead on two windshields, either of which could provide enough protection to all ow me to ride in sub-freezing temperatures. Now what I need are some recommendations for handguards.

Even with heated gloves, riding when it is really cold is a lot more comfortable if your hands are protected from the wind. As we all know, without wind protection, heated grips are a lot less effective too.

Can anyone recommend a good set of winter-style handguards for this bike? I'd prefer something that does not require that I removed the handlebar end weights. Since this is a street bike, I won't need handguards for busting brush off road.

Pete

#18 ·
#24 ·
I believe that an Aussie company, BARK-BUSTERS, in which unfortunately I have no shares, makes various models, at least one of which is suited to a Roadster without having to remove the 'bar end-weights.

L of S

#25 ·
Further to my note above, I looked at the BarkBusters website as a matter of interest, and see that for some of their models of 'guards they now also make LEDs, either for front-facing 'spots', or as turn signals, in different colours. Could be a useful safety add-on...

L of S

Reactions: Clem
#27 ·
Hi,
2014 R1200R
I have used Barkbuster VPS guards with Barkbuster storm mounts. VPS mounts wont give clearance around the cables and hoses.
Also photo of SW Motech, barbacks you need a longer brake hose

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.