BMW R1200R Forum banner

Headlight Cover Protection

11K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  Svaha!Dean 
#1 · (Edited)
Looks like I took a hit recently as noted in the picture. The headlight cover is $200(!) as an FYI. Anyone have any good recommendations for a way to protect the headlight? You can see the plastic chunks on the bottom and left side. Sorry for the picture rotation....

Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the heavier grade 3m clear film is supposed to give some protection but I guess a big enough stone would still break it . Maybe I have been unusually lucky but I have only had one broken headlight in 38 years and 45 different bikes, it probably won't happen to you again (touch wood!) Maybe just epoxy up the holes and put a new light on when you go to sell the bike?

#3 ·
the area of impact is very small if I am reading it correctly. I am not sure if any protective cover can protect from such sharp yet small impact without sacrificing the light output on road.
its just hard luck !

may be you can try invisible shield custom cut yourself. which wont cut down light but will give close to bullet proofing the headlight

#7 ·
Looks like I took a hit recently as noted in the picture. The headlight cover is $200(!) as an FYI. Anyone have any good recommendations for a way to protect the headlight?
When my wife had a K1200RS she got a bb size hole in her headlight. I covered the light with a thick film sold by Aerostich to cover the hole and keep moisture out.
This worked good for a year, then I got the idea to ask my insurance company if comprehensive would buy a new headlight assembly. They replaced it for a $50 deductible and I covered the new light with the same film.
14 Mil Headlight Shield :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Reactions: laciga
#9 ·
Interesting idea calling insurance.... I'll have it replaced or do it on my own as the integrity of the cover is lessened - its only two bolts and an interesting mechanism on top. For the folks quoting the part cost that seem extremely high (even in non USD...) you might be looking at the entire assembly, as opposed to just the front panel. Part number 63128549268 is the front over only. This was also my first hit there ever on any bike owned as well. Could be a coincidence but I think a huge possibility is a friend on a S1000RR. I've been hit by so many rocks only following him - it's like his rear tire is a catapult for rocks and debris for some reason.

Mark

#12 ·
I've fitted on of these 3mm acrylic headlight protectors.R 1200 R/Exclusive/Thundergrey (2015+) | AMHP

Impossible to tell from the pic on the AMHP website if the part is simply a flat plate (albeit shaped to sit into the headlight recess), or if it is moulded in some way to follow the headlight contours.

Can you advise please, Eccles? AMHP are not far from me and if your reply suggests it I can easily ride over there to check further.

Thanks..

Reactions: not guilty
#14 ·
I've seen examples of AHMP headlight protectors and like the concept but don't like he look of the Velcro-like attachment tabs. I'd use one for highway trips, but would then be left with the tabs when I remove it. I know - vanity ...

LoS - looking at the website, they're moulded to the headlight shape.

Attachments

#16 ·
I would get rid of the velcro, and place some 3M VHB clear tape, you only need a smidgen in each corner, the screen would not sit so far out as it does with the velcro, so insects might not get down between.

#23 ·
update on the AMHP product

Receiving an assurance from the pleasant and helpful lady at AMHP that the product is closely moulded to the contours of the headlight - she said within 5mm - I have ordered one, with a guarantee of 100% refund if it's not as stated. $55.

Strangely, when telling that the reason for my enquiry was that the pic on the AMHP website (page 2 of the BMW section) didn't show how it looks in real life, I was told that the protector wasn't fitted for photographing! I promised to send her pix if - as I both believe and hope - the item suits me and I keep it.

Pix coming here in due course...

#26 ·
$2.99!!!??? Dreamin'...:| But the DIY approach could make a wonderful crab-pot for the Bay here - lots of muddies about!!

Reactions: Panzermann
#25 ·
Headlight Protector Shield

Looks like I took a hit recently ....
If that were my headlight, I'd fill it in with superglue and not worry about it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

July 2016, Arctic Circle, Dempster Hwy, Canada

When I tour long distance, I cover my headlight with a transparent screen protector shield made for tablets. I'm probably going to make a more permanent solution when the right materials come around. Good luck.

#27 ·
ouch!

My friendly dealer has just told me that the cost of new headlight assembly incl GST (sales tax/ VAT) and fitting is AUD$1502.:surprise:

Glad I've ordered that acrylic AMHP protector at $55......

#30 ·
BTW, Aeroflow has a headlight guard in the works for the R1200RLC, and I'm waiting to hear from Cee Bailey whether they'll also offer one (they do have one for the RS). Once I've seen those two, I'll pick one to replace the Lamin-X film I've been using as an interim measure.

#32 ·
ah, I think you are correct, I just took a closer look. Remember when Lucille Ball did the eeeeewwwww face. I just did that. *palm slap*

Mark

#33 ·
AMHP headlight protector

I recently waxed pretty enthusiastically about this item, but some here complained about the not-very-pretty fastening method - three ~1" diameter Velcro dots. Let it be know that I endorse those views, even tho' the white/ semi-translucent dots more or less disappear in strong sunlight or when the bike's headlights are on. Even so, I took it upon myself to make the point to the manufacturer.

They replied that they're aware of the matter and have come up with a possible solution, namely, black dots, which will shortly be available. I'm finding it hard to envisage how they will be less visually intrusive, but will wait and see. Just FYI...

Reactions: not guilty
#34 · (Edited)
have come up with a possible solution, namely, black dots, which will shortly be available. I'm finding it hard to envisage how they will be less visually intrusive, but will wait and see. Just FYI...
Oooh, invisible black dots, I'm excited :001_wub:

The supplied dots did not stick so well for me, so picked up a pack of clear Scotch Extreme faster strips from Bunnings (same mushroom type) and cut them to size, these did stick.

#38 ·
I emailed AMHP and include the above images and they agreed that I was just a lucky one.
It should not look like that and it has slipped by our eagle eyes.
AMHP have apologised and will replace the item and repay the postage paid. I am very happy with the dealings with AMHP and the way that they back up their products and would recommend them to anyone. The acrylic cover will go a long way to protecting that very expensive headlight. (What am I saying, it's a BMW, of course it's expensive.)

#36 ·
Mine is wobble free Kram. But not much luck with the velcro dots. I washed the bike yesterday so decided to take the cover off the headlight to clean the light properly and the bloody dots came clean off both the protector AND the light, in fact they came away so easily I was amazed the protector hadn't come flying off whilst riding (and yes I cleaned both surface first with windex then with Isopropyl ). So off to Bunnings to buy more dots....didn't have, but they did have 3M stuff that was the same but in strips which I cut down to size, repeated the process and behold, they seem to have stuck much better this time, but I'll be checking just to be sure.

Perhaps the dots supplied have not been stored correctly or they are old and the adhesive has gone off a bit, who knows, but they failed miserably.

#37 ·
Hi Kram. Mine arrived today from AMHP and I have not yet installed. Just read your note and went and checked mine. There is the faintest bit of a wave in the top edge but I probably would not have noticed if I had not gone looking for it. May be worth a call back to the good folk at AMHP. I will probably by a Velcro strip from the local hardware as well and get the good grip from the outset. But otherwise I am thoroughly impressed with LoS' find and glad for the head's up. In fact - I think I am gunna march back a page or 2 and award my first "Thanx".

#40 ·
I had such a thing on some bike about 20 years ago, the same velcro type fasteners, it looked pretty bad, had obviously been on there for ages. I pulled it off and the velcro was all baked on to the light so i biffed the whole arrangement into the rubbish bin, could see better at night after that.

#42 ·
Having a reputation here as something of a master at creating useful add-ons from the most unlikely things, I dips me lid to this, Dean! And it has a bonus in that it has significantly lower aerodynamic drag than other solutions. Deeply impressed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.