BMW R1200R Forum banner

Helmet Mounted Brake Light

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Panzermann 
#1 ·
#3 ·
At least if the following driver is confused, you have his or her attention, which is the objective, I think.

The biggest concern I have is the bulk/weight, which could be a problem with safety accreditation/legality. It would need to be designed to snap free with minimal force to avoid rotational forces on the neck when it catches on the pavement. There's already been enough aggravation in Australia over the legality of attaching a GoPro etc to you helmet.

Bulk could have been reduced by not incorporating a tail light and hence being able to use a smaller battery. It's the brake light that is critical - how many rear-enders are there in non-braking situations? The third (central) brake light on cars doesnt have an incorporated tail light.

A flashing function (at least as an option where legal) could readily have been incorporated to catch the following driver's attention. BMW has this with the Dynamic Brake Light, and there are aftermarket options such as the g-Force flasher that i just installed on my stock brake light. The principal is that flashing catches the attention and signals danger more than just another red light.

I'd prefer a flat LED panel with the smarts and battery pocketable or on a neck-strap - a little less convenient, having to plug it in, but also a more compact attachment to the helmet.

#5 ·
The principal is that flashing catches the attention and signals danger more than just another red light.
That's the principle behind my current installation of flashing rear bright red LEDS, brake-light operated. Just another red light just wouldn't cut it, IMHO...:nerd:

#6 · (Edited)
Its good to see someone is still working on this concept ...a rear brake light in your helmet...thanks for posting.

I've tried two older versions.

One the LEDZ were bright but added so much weight to the helmet it was ridiculous.

The other whilst more compact the LEDZ were small and weak, in-effective.

Have got over the idea of having a rear light on my helmet now.
Keep a eye in my mirrors when stopped
leave myself plenty of room with the car in front, and a escape route.

Reactions: Panzermann
#8 ·
Inventor's Response

Since I know the inventor of this product, I sent him a screenshot of the thread when it was just the first two posts and offered to post his response. It is as follows:

Hey Dean,

So glad to hear from you! Thanks for sharing that comment with me.

I don't think that Steve is wrong, sometimes it won't sync up exactly. It will most of the time. Sometimes when engine braking your brake light will not light up but Brake Free will detect it. Other times when you're sitting at a light and pressing the brake the brake light on the bike will be lit up and Brake Free won't be, since you're just standing still.

I think the bigger point is that drivers will at least notice you a lot better and will pay more attention to what you're doing then they would otherwise.

How are things with you? What new adventures are you planning?

Cheers,
Alex

Text Font Line Jaw Company

Since this Thread may continue to grow with interest, I'll forward the link to him so he can check it at his own discretion as I know he's very interested in constructive feedback. And, if he needs a voice to reply, I'll offer my representation on this Forum.

#10 ·
Since I know the inventor of this product, I sent him a screenshot of the thread when it was just the first two posts and offered to post his response. It is as follows:

Hey Dean,

So glad to hear from you! Thanks for sharing that comment with me.

I don't think that Steve is wrong, sometimes it won't sync up exactly. It will most of the time. Sometimes when engine braking your brake light will not light up but Brake Free will detect it. Other times when you're sitting at a light and pressing the brake the brake light on the bike will be lit up and Brake Free won't be, since you're just standing still.

I think the bigger point is that drivers will at least notice you a lot better and will pay more attention to what you're doing then they would otherwise.

How are things with you? What new adventures are you planning?

Cheers,
Alex

View attachment 69457

Since this Thread may continue to grow with interest, I'll forward the link to him so he can check it at his own discretion as I know he's very interested in constructive feedback. And, if he needs a voice to reply, I'll offer my representation on this Forum.
That's fair. I wouldn't mind driving behind a rider with one of these to get a feel for how a driver might perceive these differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.