BMW R1200R Forum banner

Hex ezCAN ASC Error

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Delnari 
#1 ·
At least I strongly suspect this ASC error is related to the ezCAN, as both Bishop and I have experienced it and we both recently installed ezCANs. The error shows on the panel after killing the engine using the kill switch but before turning off the ignition. If you have the Nav 5 installed it will show the error on its screen and you can tap on it to display the details. You can see all of this in the picture below.

To get some more data on this, it would be great if anyone else who has installed the ezCAN could check using the following simple procedure:
1. Start and ride your bike long enough to have the ABS & ASC lights go out.
2. Kill the engine with the kill switch.
3. See if the ASC orange/yellow triangle is lit up on your panel.
4. (Optional) If you have the BMW Nav 5, see if it shows on the Nav screen (to get the detail shown in the picture, you have to tap the error)

If someone who doesn't have the ezCAN could also check this, that would be helpful--just to make sure that the alert isn't always there, and this is not related to the ezCAN.

BTW, neither of us has seen an ASC error while riding. Bishop first discovered this because he shuts down this way and has the Nav 5. I shut down using the ignition button, so I never had a chance to see the error until Bishop popped my ignorance is bliss bubble (thanks Bishop!) and told me to check it by killing the engine before killing the ignition to see the error.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Before and after would be great, Roglo!
One other bit of info: Bishop took his bike to two different dealers pursuing this before I found the error as well and we began to suspect ezCAN. One dealer said they could see the errors stored and reset his CAN bus. Several days later, the other dealer saw no errors stored when they plugged in, even though the error showed on the screen.

#5 ·
I can assure you that this does not happen on my ezCAN't model. I use the kill switch often enough that I'd notice yellow triangles on the display. Like every time I pull up to my garage door. My driveway is enough of a hill that if I leave the bike running, parked on the side stand, while I go inside to open the door, it tends to 'walk' back down the driveway between the cars. My wife would be, umm, upset if it fell over onto her car!

#6 ·
Two questions for those who haven't seen the error:
1. Does your bike have the tire pressure monitoring feature (RDC)?
2. What lights-e.g. brake and or aux, what brand- have you got hooked up to the ezCAN?

I ask #1 because the ezCAN has two ways of plugging into the CAN bus depending on whether you have RDC.

#8 ·
Turns out I was completely wrong :frown2:

My 2016 model, with no ezCAN, does behave exactly like this. I came in from a ride just now, shut it off with the kill switch, and the ASC warning lit up, plus I got the warning on my GPS. If you flip the kill switch off, without re-starting, the warning goes away. If you flip the kill switch back on, again without re-starting, it re-appears.

I'd say it's a feature, not a bug. Kind of like how the ABS and ASC warnings both come on when you first start the bike. Sorry for my earlier misleading statement. In my defense, I've relocated my GPS up and to the right, and it kind of hides the yellow warning triangle when I sit upright, as when I'm stopped. That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it :wink2:

#9 ·
Hey, thanks for checking, sturgeon! I guess my next test will be to unplug the unit from the CAN bus and see if the error still appears--which it sounds like it probably will. Funny if this just turns out to always be there under those conditions! I'll be back.

#10 ·
OK, this is too funny! I see the "error" on my bike even without the ezCAN. So it is apparently always there if you use the kill switch and really look at the panel before you turn off the ignition. ezCAN or ezCAN'T

So, this is all a non-issue, it looks like. But here's the funniest part: Bishop took his bike to two different dealers in our area and neither knew that it was normal. One said they saw errors stored (hmmm!) and "reset the CAN bus" (or something like that), and the other just said that no errors showed in the system, which is correct, I guess, but couldn't explain it.

#11 ·
It is hard to believe that this has always been there. I am pretty sure that it just started recently, but I guess I may have been dreaming.

Well stranger things have happened.
I like the idea that we should look at it as a feature not a problem;-)

It is also interesting that neither of the two dealers had the explanation that is was a feature.

#12 ·
My theory is that we become somewhat used to ignoring all the different coloured lights on the instrument panel when the bike is turned on with the engine not running. So we don't really notice them. I know the low fuel light catches my attention when it comes on while I'm underway. I've also experimented with turning off the ABS and the traction control, and my eye is continually drawn to the lights when I'm riding. Yet when I just turn on the key I don't really see them, even though they're on and flashing. (Same in the car)

#14 ·
Well said Stergeon.
I believe I have become numb to the warning light while the engine is not running.

#17 ·
To keep them from jumping to conclusions, Bishop didn't tell the dealers about the ezCAN. A guy at one of the dealers said he would get back to Bishop on this problem. My money says the guy never calls, but then I'm a little cynical about dealers.

#18 ·
I'll be at my dealer in a month or so for service; it's on my list of things to ask him about. I'll get him to check if the 'errors' are logged in the bike. My guess is that he'll use the "feature, not bug" line on me. But he might also investigate a bit, particularly if the errors are logged.

Bike is unlikely to get used in the next while; looks like the early thaw is just about over and snow is in the forecast once again. Sigh.

#20 ·
Finally got the chance to use my driving lights with the Hex EZcan installed. Had to plug in the laptop to turn the flash-to-pass and horn strobe feature on. Really works well. Made the mistake of wiring both light to a single Hex EZCan connector instead of using 2 separate connections. The turn signal on - driving light deactivation, only works on one side in my current configuration. Looking forward to get my LED additional brake light mounted and wired in for the flashing affect when braking (engine braking too).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.