BMW R1200R Forum banner

How can I make my R/LC sound like a Nine T?

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  BoxerJim 
#1 ·
Buddy of mine has the standard Nine T with Akra can (not full system). Sounds phenomenal, way better than my R12R LC with a GPR can. I think even with an Akra end can my R won't sound so good. The engines are much the same, right? So is it the water cooling on the LC that changing the tone? Any thoughts on the matter? Don't tell me I need to trade in my R12R to get that sound...that new Nine T racer is looking good, too, and it sounds brilliant as well...dammit.

#3 ·
Does your friend's bike have a cat and exhaust flapper? If not, either if these would make a significant change to the sound. You'll never get tgem to sound identical, but with similar exhaust features and length, shouldn't sound too far off, given they have the same firing sequence.

#4 ·
If you go to the NineT you will lose HP and Torque.... Big loss for a bit of nice noise.

#6 ·
I came from a 9T to the R1200RLC and the 9T does feel much slower when accelerating. It is a beautiful looking and sounding machine. I also have a GPR can fitted and while it does sound nice it is nowhere near as nice as the sound of the 9T. Sadly I found the 9T too cramped and that was the reason I moved to the R1200R LC

#8 ·
I have just finished listening to a few Youtube videos of both the GPR and Akra exhausts on the LC. I now consider myself an expert on the subject. :D :nerd:

I know video and in-person doesn't sound the same, and the videos weren't side-by-side comprisons, but the Akra sounded much deeper in the ones I watched. I think the GPR is a good value, but I don't think it is fair to try and compare a $350 GPR with a $900-$1,300 (OEM) Akra.

I think if you are trying to achieve a sound similar to a R Nine T with an Akra can, a logical first step would be to get the same can. If it still isn't the sound you are looking for, try going with a full exhaust system. I would imagine that would get you where you want to be or better.

You said it yourself. The engines are basically the same. The only other large variables are the cooling system and the exhaust. Remove the more realistic of the two variables. Match the exhaust.

:whatdoyouthink:

#10 ·
You said it yourself. The engines are basically the same. The only other large variables are the cooling system and the exhaust. Remove the more realistic of the two variables. Match the exhaust.

:whatdoyouthink:
Ahhh... No. I guess in that they are both horizontally opposed twins, then yes. That's about it tho.

#11 ·
My 2014 r1200r having the same engine as the R9T you would think a better start point than the water cooled engine.

However IMO even with the same exhaust system, I doubt they would sound the same.

The r9t over all has a shorter exhaust system (headers, connector pipe, exhaust) this will make a difference to sound, plus the r9t's engine could be tuned different for fueling, again this can make a difference to the sound.

#16 ·
I had an RnineT and loved the stock exhaust (minus the flapper and stock baffles). That's almost exclusively why I upgraded the can on my Dark White. The note is nearly identical, give or take a few decibels.

But agree with other posters that getting an LC to sound the same would be very difficult.

#13 · (Edited)
I removed the cat / flapper and even with the stock muffler the sound was more 'hearty'. After trying a gpr and sending it back I got an arrow can that sounds pretty good with the decibel reducer in and slightly too loud and rackety with it out. IMO the R LC doesn't have a great sound whatever exhaust is on it, it's not high on the list of great sounding bikes like a Ducati or V4 Aprilia, it's an oddball soundwise but it has other qualities to make up for it:drool:

#14 ·
Thank you McMonkey McBean and my apologies to sound wave. I humbly stand corrected for being myopic about the LC engine. Mea Culpa.

#15 ·
Does a Porsche 911 with a liquid cooled engine sound the same as an air cooled one?
Nope, different sound, yet very similar.

The engines of the R9T and the R12LC are similar, yet very different.
They only really share the same bore/stroke and the engine layout.

Air cooled engines always sound different to liquid cooled engines.
Your LC would still sound different, whatever you are trying to do.

To answer your question:
You can't!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.