BMW R1200R Forum banner

MadStad Windshield

16K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Sluggo2 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this MadStad Windshield . I've had MadStad Windshield on 2 of my previous bikes and found them to be very adjustable, cutting out the buffeting and they didn't look too bad either.

#2 ·
I have also had good results with the Madstad screens. In fact I retrofitted an 18" version for the 2011-2013 models to provide an interim solution on my 2016 LC for touring.
A Madstad for the 2015+ models was not available at the time so went with the large Vstream Ztechnic ($$$$) option which still needed help from a Puig clip on Visor to get a suitable result as that offered by the Madstad.

I've found the Madstad to be a function over form device, though this does look better than the 2011-2013 model.

Attachments

#4 ·
The mount seems smallish for the screen size. How is it at higher speeds, does it wobble? I have had Madstads on two prior bikes but since it wasn't available when I got my bike, I also went with the Ztechnic. I am very happy with the Ztechnic, but ultimately might switch now that a Madstad is available.

#7 ·
The screen itself doesn't look bad to me. But the black cowling it mounts to does not appeal. I had to go look at the mount for the screen on my stock 2015 R. It is much smaller and less obtrusive. I don't like the expanded version necessary for the screen mounted by the OP.

#8 ·
I can't understand why nobody is producing a neat, stylish (to match the BM) sporty screen for these bikes.
It CAN be done.
Those barn door sized things are ok for keeping flys off your visor I suppose, or maybe deflecting a bit of rain, but once you get north of 80mph, they are an absolute liability.

#9 ·
I can't understand why nobody is producing a neat, stylish (to match the BM) sporty screen for these bikes...
Well, BMW makes one, but if you want something else, you're generally looking for something at least a little bigger. The Puig Sport screen is no barn door but provides a modicum of additional protection (I'm 6 ft and have the high seat - the wind blast hits my shoulders).

Attachments

#10 ·
These r1200r screens.....they're not exactly a good look are they?
I test rode an MT10 a month or so ago, amazing bike for the money, tiny discrete screen, worked perfectly up to about 95mph.
Surely if Yamaha can do it, then a company with the resources of BMW should be able to?
I have an Aprilia Tuono, again, tiny screen, stylish, and fairly effective up to about 95. Having said that, the Aprilia has a fair bit more pace than the BM, and on those long hauls in excess of 95, it could do with something a little higher.

#11 ·
Amazing.
Not even a half decent screen that looks the part then?
In my mid 60's, ride 400 mile days max, all weathers, so no point going all 'snowflake' and buying one of those barn door things just yet. Don't feel old enough to buy one.
Had a quick look, but was eating at the time, man, they're bad, very nearly threw up over the keyboard.
Probably wait until I'm mid 90's....will possibly appear a little fitting then.

#13 ·
I went with the BMW touring screen for because I like the integrated styling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann
#18 ·
Its odd how the screen on a late model GS works so well with less surface area. I Guess BM invested more wind tunnel testing with that

#19 ·
You would hope BMW didn’t spend too much time wind tunnel testing their OEM 12R screens because they are (sport & touring) functionally less than impressive. However, they look the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#20 ·
I'm on a 2016, and I've tried 4 modes so far. I'm 5'8" and run the Corbin seat. I always wear earplugs, and listen to music from a Sena. My commute is roughly 100 miles RT daily, almost 100% highway at 80-ish MPH. I run HeliBars risers and stock pegs.

BMW Sport Screen (8" sucker w/ R logo): Doesn't do much for taking wind off my chest at all. Does make the wind noise on my helmet WAY louder than naked.
BMW Touring Screen (14"-ish sucker w/ R logo): Doesn't do much for taking wind off me, but makes it sound like I'm riding in a Cat4 hurricane and should expect to see Toto shortly. Deafening.
Wunderlich Headlight Fairing: Doesn't do a thing for wind, but makes zero noise and looks sexy AF.
Naked: Full wind, but nearly silent with a Shoei GT Air. only noise is from my Sena on the side.

I'm hoping for something that makes winter a little more pleasant, keeps the rain off my chest a bit (GoreTex is great, but you still get a lil' down the neck) and keeps the ride quite.

#22 ·
I'm on a 2016, and I've tried 4 modes so far. I'm 5'8" and run the Corbin seat. I always wear earplugs, and listen to music from a Sena. My commute is roughly 100 miles RT daily, almost 100% highway at 80-ish MPH. I run HeliBars risers and stock pegs.

BMW Sport Screen (8" sucker w/ R logo): Doesn't do much for taking wind off my chest at all. Does make the wind noise on my helmet WAY louder than naked.
BMW Touring Screen (14"-ish sucker w/ R logo): Doesn't do much for taking wind off me, but makes it sound like I'm riding in a Cat4 hurricane and should expect to see Toto shortly. Deafening.
Wunderlich Headlight Fairing: Doesn't do a thing for wind, but makes zero noise and looks sexy AF.
Naked: Full wind, but nearly silent with a Shoei GT Air. only noise is from my Sena on the side.

I'm hoping for something that makes winter a little more pleasant, keeps the rain off my chest a bit (GoreTex is great, but you still get a lil' down the neck) and keeps the ride quite.

#25 ·
5'7" here. 2018 R12LC

OEM Sport Windshield, more turbulence than naked.

BMW Medium touring screen, even worse!

MRA Vario touring. (Adjustable spoiler) Works better than the others, by far, not perfect, but OK at up to 75, and doable over 90.
I miss the FJR with the Cee Bailey Wall of plastic protection, but love the R1200R for an all-around bike...

#23 ·
I use a Madstad on my 2015 along with an MRA X-creen on top. Does a good job of keeping bugs and wind off my chest. The X-creen does a good job of accelerating air up to the top of my helmet giving me a nice quiet ride. Able to listen to music in my Schberth M1 helmet at any speed.

#27 · (Edited)
I have a 2018, came with a tall Ztechnik. I am 5'6" standard seat and Heli bar risers. Shoei r1200 helmet. It was a miserable thunderous experience unless I ducked behind the screen. Too tall anyway. I bought a rotary tool and cut off 2". More miserable thunder. Cut off 3" more. Same thunder. Added a clip on MRA sport spoiler. No less horrible in all positions. Bought a used BMW R1200R tall touring screen. Horrible. Same routine. Cut off 2". No improvement. Another 2". Tried the MRA and Wunderlich wind deflectors. No dice. Madstad has a bracket and various size screens for the R12LC. I have little reason to believe it will work but they have a return policy.
I have a few more inches to take off the Ztechnik before it goes in the trash bin, too.
Riding without any screen was no less loud. Not a bike for a short torso I gather. Turbulence from the mirrors, handguards, instrument cluster and not tall enough to clear them all for clean air?

Is there a helmet that a majority of users agrees is the best at noise reduction?

#30 ·
Is there a helmet that a majority of users agrees is the best at noise reduction?

I use a Shark Spartan helmet and it is quieter than my previous helmet, a Shoei RF1200, which I think is considered a fairly quiet helmet.

Reactions: basstodave
#31 ·
Got the Madstad for my 2016 LC a week ago and love it. My previous bike, a Yamaha FJR1300, came with an electric windscreen. While it worked very well, on hot days I'd really rather it disappear.

I suspect most negative comments on the Madstad looks relate to the earlier mounts. My very small mount looks better than the BMW fly screen mount.

As for the Windscreen aesthetics, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Reading many messages on this topic and looking at my own bike, almost every r1200r looks better without any windscreen. Mine seems to "float" nicely over the front end.

Far more important, in my eyes, is function. I doubt anybody buys a windscreen to improve the looks of this very attractive naked bike. So, when the temps drop and the skies open up who cares what darn thing looks like?

In short, and most importantly, my new Madstad does a really great job of providing adjustable protection with no uncomfortable buffeting. As a bonus, the quick release makes the windscreen unbelievably fast and easy to take on or off.

#32 · (Edited)
I am considering the Madstad. Will you tell us your height, long or short torso?, standard or tall seat and the size Madstad windshield you use? No thunderous buffeting? My R12LC would be a thing of beauty if it had a windshield that was easy to live with. I am asking the same questions of any Madstad users to determine which size screen works for them and hopefully a majority that find the Mad the best solution.

#41 ·
I bought the Puig dark smoked screen and unlike the clear in the above photo's looked rather hideous to me. Unfortunately, I (dumb ass) threw the return box out and it went into recycle that morning. So, I made a half circle template, taped off the Puig and cut it with an oscillating saw. Now it's a pretty nice looking bikini screen. The wind hits me about mid visor which really doesn't bother me too much. After all I wanted a naked bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.