Magnum Horn Wolo for BMW R 1200 R, LC (2015-) - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-14-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Magnum Horn Wolo for BMW R 1200 R, LC (2015-)

Anybody installed this on their R12R LC? I would like to hear reports about installation, fit, sound, and durability.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.c...ebel-Horn.html

Twisted Throttle advised me that their Denali SoundBlaster will not fit on a '15-16 R12R LC. None of the BMW mounting brackets they sell will work on the naked RLC.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 PM

Yes, I ordered from Hornig in Germany and installed. Easy installation, except for access to connector at old OEM horn behind headlight. That took a while. Youtube Hornig video not much help in that respect. Horn is amply loud and much better than the chicken scratch OEM. But I seem to have a connection fault; the horn does its thing when I use it once, but then goes into remission and doesn't work correctly. Maybe an ampage issue I'm not sure...I contacted Hornig but they said they've sold many of these without reports of problems. So could just be me. But I would recommend it if you want to be heard and not just seen.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 AM

Have you looked at the denali Split soundbomb, as the name suggests it's split, as in the compressor & horn are seperated, making it easier to fit on bikes with limit room.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-03-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Actually I did email to TwistedThrottle a while back asking about the regular (not split) Denali SoundBomb, and they advised me that none of their BMW mounts would work on an R12R. What interested me about the Hornig is that they claim is really does fit the new R12RLC.

2015 BMW R1200R
post #5 of 27 Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to andybcole
Hi Motoprof

You are right in that this is probably an amperage problem - used to get the same issue on my GSA and it needed a separate relay to the horn as it was shutting down the CANBUS system on the horn when used (got it once, then had to power cycle the bike for it to work again which resets the can bus system).

Regards

Andy

Long term adventure bike rider now rated 'R'
R1200R LC Exclusive 2015
post #6 of 27 Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Still have issue with magnum Wolo horn...see above. Works, but only intermittently, like it's running out of juice. Had to use it on a van today...and it's plenty loud, just not for more than a micro-second, before it goes into sporadic mode. What kind of relay should I try to sort this issue? Anyone?
post #7 of 27 Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Garage
Motoprof, if your setup doesn't have a relay, it is highly likely to be the horn is drawing too much current and the CANBUS is shutting the circuit down. I actually jagged onto this to my advantage after fitting a second BMW horn (graciously donated by Lawrence of Suburbia) which I simply wired in parallel to the existing horn. Seemed OK when I tested it, but now it beeps on/off at about once every second per cycle, which sounds quite alarming to those who hear it!

A 12V micro relay would do the job, using the horn lead to trigger the relay and taking the main supply from the battery (with a fuse near the battery).

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #8 of 27 Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Horn

Thanks, Panzermann, I will give the relay a try.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Tried the relay; no go. But here's a diagnostic: the horn works perfectly when the ignition is on, but the motor is off. When I turn the motor on, the horn goes intermittent...instead of a nice constant loud braap. Turn the motor off, and the horn works perfectly again. WTF? Anybody? Horn is not much use in ignition mode only!
post #10 of 27 Old 03-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Garage
You sure the earth wire is secured properly? (Vibration when the engine is running could be causing the intemittent sound)

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page