BMW R1200R Forum banner

New 1200R LC What accessories?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Pluto 
#1 ·
Hi!

Thinking about trading in my F800R for a new 2017 R1200R LC.

What's your thought about getting ESA and a quickshifter? I only ride one up and usually won't be adding any luggage. I don't miss ESA on my F800R, will I miss it on the 1200R?

I will try the quickshifter out properly, but the when it comes to the ESA it will probably be harder to make a decision after a demo ride...

Thx

#2 ·
I went for the R1200R Sport but only ticked the heated grips options box. Like you, I ride one-up with light luggage. The demo bike I rode didn't have ESA and I'm not missing it. For me (71kg+riding gear), the suspension is firm but comfortable even on the crappy roads in the NW of England. Probably best to try an ESA equipped bike if possible to decide if you need it.
I love the quickshifter and use it a lot. Again, try it if you can. If you have long legs go for the high seat option, I find it really comfy but BMW riders seem to be pretty fussy in that area 😉
Also not missing keyless ignition (less complex and I know where the key is) or sat-nav mount (I've got a £12 Ram ball on a handlebar clamp bolt).
No luggage mounts as I use Kriega seat mounted bags or centre stand as there's no chain to oil\adjust.
You might want to add a cheapo but excellent Puig screen and maybe a Puig hugger and front fender extender to reduce the dirt splatter. I also added an Evotech radiator guard.
I've you browse around the forum there's no shortage of opinions and advice!
The R1200R is a fantastic bike so I don't think you'll be disappointed and deciding on accessories is part of the fun.

Good luck choosing.

#6 ·
Same here in Oz. The only off-the-shelf option seems to be 'take it or leave it'. I won't comment on your ESA, quick-shifter, etc. question as so much reaction to those sorts of things is largely subjective and highly personal... but overall, a great machine.

Reactions: roadscum
#5 ·
ESA is pretty good, no more fiddling round looking for the perfect compression or rebound setting etc, if you are lazy this is for you
Quick shift takes a bit of getting used to but is a handy tool, you don't have to use it but when you need every bit of speed possible it definitely comes in handy

#7 ·
D-ESA is great. I have it and love it. It is not about being lazy. It's about being able to adjust preload and dampening on the fly for load or conditions. The last thing I want to do when I get to the fun stuff is to pull over and tighten things up. I want to do the fun stuff! Ditto for when you carry weight, add preload and when the bags come off bring it back down.

I don't have a quick shifter, chrome exhaust, belly fairing, keyless start and don't miss them.

My dealer carried models, in the warehouse but not on the showroom floor, that had all of "the good stuff" but without the full load of extras. That's the optioning I chose. Cruise and heated grips are part of the "good stuff" and always glad I have them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#8 ·
No need for the quick shift unless you're to lazy to use the clutch. Although I have SAP on my R1200R I rarely use it, **** I've spent 55+ years perfecting my shifting technique. Also my other bikes do not have SAP and I don't want to get into the habit of using SAP because that habit/muscle memory that could lead to trouble when riding the other bikes.

ESA is nice, improves the quality of the ride in varied conditions, and is important if you sometimes ride with a pillion, luggage, as I do.

My thoughts but your may vary.... just get the bike and ride, you'll have fun with or without any of the above. Perhaps fuel is the most important 'accessory'....

Paul

#9 ·
I got "the works", minus the keyless ignition, which looked like a disaster waiting to happen. I've never been a big suspension tinkerer, so the ESA is nice for me. From a few test rides, my initial impression was also that the ESA suspension was better quality than the non-ESA. That's purely subjective. I find the shifter addictive. So much so that I have to consciously remind myself to use the clutch when I'm riding one of the other bikes, even after a long lifetime of doing so.

#10 ·
I love my keyless ignition. No fumbling with gloves on etc., just drop the key into your pocket or bag and you're set to go. And you can eliminate the risk of driving off without your fob by hiding your spare key (the little plastic gadget that goes behind the rider seat) on the bike in case of emergency. Very practical set up. Highly recommend it.

#11 ·
.. you can eliminate the risk of driving off without your fob by hiding your spare key (the little plastic gadget that goes behind the rider seat) on the bike in case of emergency.

Just do not hide it too close to the ignition push-button at the front of the bike or it will interfere with the electronickery of the system. The Rider's Manual warns of this somewhere amid all the Gremlish...

#12 ·
I'm also one that bought my 16R with all the toys (the only way my dealer orders them) and have since added the ABS-Pro even though I'll probably never use it or if I did I'd probably never know it. But the Shift Assist Pro is absolutely the nuts and I think its way more than worth the price. That and cruise control I couldn't live with out

#13 · (Edited)
The basic bike is fantastic, you cannot lose. The ESA is a nice to have, and boy is it plush, but by no means essential. I've not ridden a non ESA R1200 so can't comment properly, but I think the standard shocks are great too, it'll have the same guts, just no electronic control whizz bangs. Once you get the clickers set up how you like them you'll be fine. We've lived without ESA for decades, so the world won't fall apart if you don't bother with it ;)

IMHO Quickshifters are for race bikes, I DO like mine, but I think it's a bit of a gimmick. I can't think of a reason why you should 'really' need one on the road? I still use my clutch half of the time as I just 'Enjoy' operating it, plus its less jerky in some gears.

I have a normal key, I've had other bikes with keyless, I like it, but is having a key a hassle? Not at all. I just have a soft key fob so it doesn't rattle around and dent the surrounding metal trim.

#14 ·
Thanks for the information!

Picking up a new 2017 R1200 R this week. Tried a new 2017 with all the options for a whole day.Liked the quickshifter. Resisted ticking all the boxes and ordered a new 2017, only extras, the ABS Pro with riding modes and a high seat.
Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.