BMW R1200R Forum banner

Seats and screens.

13K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Bud 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Just back from my first shake-down tour on the 16 -1200R stock other than a Givi 52 ( ugly but practical) top box, and some head covers. Did about 1200ks from Sydney to a place called Coonabarabran the long way. Some questions and observations;
1. I am 6'1 and didn't really find a good 3 hour plus posture for my back. I am not geriatric and still ride sports bikes but just couldn't get it right. Have fitted some Wunderlich 35mm risers and this improved things. Does anyone have any recent experience with the Wunderlich high seat option or any other suggestions?
2. Didn't use a screen which in 45 Celsius and gear was with the benefit of hindsight a good idea. Want one now and as I know screens are a personal thing, is the the BMW factory mid- touring screen or the Wunderlich screen I should go for.
3. Engine Bars. I am hard on bikes. I like to filter where safe and this one is a bit wider than what I am used to. Has anyone had bars fitted who lane filters?
Thanks all, thrilled with the bike; nice forum.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I installed the BMW Sport Seat (added 2" over stock) and Helibars this weekend. Road to work this morning a truly nice difference. Knees were much lower against the tank and legs felt good. The handlebar rise and set back are just spot on now. Feels as comfortable as my '15 GSA now.

#4 ·
I quite like the Puig touring screen for Long trips. Can be had in Oz for $199. Easy installed. From memory the stockist in Oz is
onlineracingspares.com

Can't post a pic from ipad and am Travelling now. There is at least one other thread in the forum that has pics.

Reactions: bradkap
#10 ·
I quite like the Puig touring screen for Long trips. Can be had in Oz for $199. Easy installed. From memory the stockist in Oz is onlineracingspares.com.au.

G'day from very wet Brisbane, n g! I cannot find that screen on the ORS site. When you (eventually) get back home can you pls give me a call as I'd like to look at yours. I've had PUIG screens in the past and found them to be very good, and well-priced.

Cheers - enjoy the riding!

Reactions: not guilty
#5 · (Edited)
I'm 6'1 and had a MRA adjustable screen but found the standard sports screen better.
I fitted the bmw sports seat which made a world of difference from standard seat and better than the high seat, much more legroom and comfortable.
I fitted the wunderlich (krugger) sports engine bars, finished pretty tight to the engine so don't affect ground clearance or width for filtering. They also fit with the lower engine spoiler which apparently most others don't.

Attachments

#6 ·
Good to know the Wunderlich Sports Engine Protectors fit with the Style 1 spoilers (I have the '17 model); have the MachineArtMoto Engine Guards installed. I went with the Puig screen due mostly for cheap price and high touring position. It is rock steady at any highway speed with no movement at all.

#20 ·
Screens are so subjective, I don't think my experience with the Puig or any screen can ever be an accurate reflection of what another will experience.. Just too many variables.

But, fwiw, the Puig touring screen was horrible for me. It had an odd resonance at 100 - 110km, which is the majority of our highway speeds here in Oz. Plus it, at times had an effect on the handling, felt through the bars which I didn't like. I had tried cutting it down, with no benefit. In the end I gave up on it, as the other problem with this screen type still existed. That is, that there is too much reflection on the screen at night, especially with high beam on. This was a particular concern for me as I do a bit of riding in the night hours.

In the end I went with the Ztechnik medium screen. And, just to prove how finicky screens can be..... When riding with my Shoei NXR this screen works brilliantly, but if I use my Schuberth C3Pro, it is noisy as buggery.... Sans screen, the opposite is true...

For me, I ride with out a screen fitted the majority of the time. I prefer the look of our beloved R1200R's this way anyway. I fit the Ztechnik for longer rides and usually in winter too.

I bought both through MotoToys - HOME They were great to deal with in both instances and would buy again from them.

#21 ·
Screens are so subjective, I don't think my experience with the Puig or any screen can ever be an accurate reflection of what another will experience.. Just too many variables.

Amen to that Bob! The screens on my two Tracers always looked odd, as if installed upside-down!

From posts on that Forum many if not most Tracer owners hated them - I found them perfectly OK and wouldn't have changed a thing about them. (Not so the Tracer's seat - by common agreement a torture device so devilish it was abandoned by ISIL as too extreme!). :(

#22 ·
The only screen that ever worked for, was the one on the GS :)
I have now fitted a little spoiler screen, which I purchased of ebay, but haven't tested it yet.

I always found Motea Shop: Motorradteile, Ersatzteile & Motorradzubehör a good supplier.
Purchased my saddlebags and the screen from them.

#24 ·
Update! But the jury is out.
The bike is starting to look like a Wunderlich advertisement.
Went for the ergo seat and touring screen with 35mm risers. Very different bike now.
The seat is high. I am 6'1 and can just set my feet flat when on raid setting with luggage.
Also seem now to be back to a more leant forward position due to the seat height even with the risers.
More after a thousand or so kids kilometres. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Update! But the jury is out.
The bike is starting to look like a Wunderlich advertisement.
Went for the ergo seat and touring screen with 35mm risers. Very different bike now.
The seat is high. I am 6'1 and can just set my feet flat when on raid setting with luggage.
Also seem now to be back to a more leant forward position due to the seat height even with the risers.
More after a thousand or so kids kilometres. View attachment 68737

How do you like the seat so far? I was holding out for the Sargent seat, but I was looking at wunderlich. Timing may force me to just go with the wunderlich. I have some longer rides coming up and stock seat is painful for me and passenger.

#26 ·
Hi there. The seat has completely changed my appreciation of this bike. It may be also that the combination of risers but I think that even without those the seat would have been a big winner. It only took about 50 kilometres to get used to the new height, far better riding position for me at least. It's firm by comparison to the OEM seat but for me actually has saved this bike from a might keep it to will keep it.

#29 ·
bmw sports seat

The best I can tell it is the highest seat BMW makes???

The bike im picking up tomorrow has a Corbin. No idea how high it is but I know I could use a higher one.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.