BMW R1200R Forum banner

Shad SH58X or 50?

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TundraGreen 
#1 ·
So i'm about to purchase a top case for my R LC. I'm torn between the SH50 and SH58X from Shad. I've got the Shad side cases already that work great, but for short trips riding 2 up, would the 50 be enough? Or spend the extra $100 for the 58? What've you guys experienced?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Sorry to be one of those guys who doesn't answer the question being asked.

My goal is always to bring as little as possible. Combine that with the tendency to use the space that is available and I generally try to go with the smaller option.

How luxurious are your trips? Are you good at packing light?

I went camping once with my wife, she wanted to bring a hair dryer.

#3 · (Edited)
I have the Shad SH50 top case. The 58X seems pretty cool, with the expandable option that gives +8ltr capacity. However, I can't say if it would be worth the extra $100. When riding, I doubt you could even tell if the case was in the max, min or middle position. Does it add much weight over the SH50? You'd probably never notice a few extra pounds. Unless it is loaded enough to feel the weight of the contents, I don't notice the weight of the SH50 case. I also don't notice any increased wind noise. I have to look around to see if the SH50 case is even still there, can't feel it or hear it.

I don't remember if the 58X was even an option when I bought the SH50, but I'd probably have gone with the SH50 even if it was. Keep it simple, I don't need the expandable option or the extra 8 ltrs.

Either way, I think you will be very pleased with the Shad quality; but you have Shad side cases so you already know that. Watch for sales and promotions. I've seen up to 15% off MSRP or free liner bag, which are very nice to have.

#9 ·
After reading the discussion of various top box options, I decided I would post my solution. It is a little pricey. I had the milk crate and the 1x2s for mounting, but I had to buy the three bolts for about 50 cents US. I supplement it with a Helen 2 Wheels Large Roll Top Sack when packing for most trips. The duffel goes in front of it on the passenger seat. I almost never ride two-up.

(The bike is parked in its usual spot in a spare bedroom.)

Attachments

#10 ·
Spend-thrift! :wink2:

Reactions: TundraGreen
#11 ·
Well I did use a blue milk crate so it would match, sort of. >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.