BMW R1200R Forum banner

Is there really a need for an accessories sub forum?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ggrandia 
#1 ·
Catalogues and websites are crammed with the most basic and generic stuff...but that's it.
Mostly overpriced, average in performance, and sold on brand name.
Great if you want:
Screens
Crash Protection
Screens
Lights & Luggage
Screens
More crash protection
More screens
Oh...and did I mention screens?

So guys (BMW in particular)....please, please please...
Can someone direct me to the performance accessories section please? After AC Schnitzer...well...that's it isn't it?
So where do we get the serious stuff?
The serious PERFORMANCE parts?
ECU mods?
Brake lines, calipers, double H pads ?
Suspension upgrades, ride height adjusters, fork and shock springs, shocks, valving?
Link pipes that eliminate that exhaust valve?
Lightweight lithium batteries.
Exhaust cans that don't resemble buckets? (Acrapovic hang your head in shame)
Rearsets?
Single seat conversions?
Fender eliminators (only aware of one $200 version. $200? seriously?)
Forged wheels?

Kinda disappointed to be honest.

See less See more
#2 ·
The content here isn't supplied by god. If you want a thread on some performance accessory, start it with a question or statement on what you have done.

#6 ·
Cheers Dave.
I've done Google to death mate...as I've said, it's all screens and luggage, no serious stuff. All a bit weird really...
I'd be utterly amazed if you did not receive some sound advice here, - BUT - how about you make it a bit easier by stating the model and year-of-make of your bike. :frown2:

Reactions: Clem
#8 ·
There is a Booster Plug available for the LC.

As far as exhausts go, I am not familiar with any that purport to provide performance improvements. Typically it's an aesthetics, weight or sound change.

Here are some rearsets.

Shorai offers lightweight battery options.

I think suspension and rims are well-worn territory, just find a suspension shop nearby and work with them or check out the rim size and see what other options are available.

The R1200R offers pretty good performance out-of-the-box. Most buyers who are intent on extensive performance mods are probably more interested in one of the S bikes or an RnineT. That plus the relative newness and minimal spread of the R1200R-LC means there is a limited number of after-market parts, for now at least.

Are you just looking for a catalog of options to choose from or do you have specific areas you would like to improve?

#9 ·
Being a fairly big, heavy bike from the outset, I doubt you'll find many manufacturers offering parts that will turn your LC into a track-day hero bike.

But if you want a little more performance, go for cat-less header pipes, exhaust flapper removal link pipe, exhaust can and Power Commander (or equivalent) with dyno tune. Then look to reducing weight (rear rack, centre stand, pillion pegs and hangers, lightweight battery, Jenny Craig program). Can't think of much else you could strip/reduce weight. Carbon fibre looks good and weighs a tad less, but you're only replacing lightweight plastic anyway, so do it only for the glam, in my opinion.

#10 ·
Like you I am surprised at the lack of aftermarket stuff for this bike, I guess it's just not commonly perceived as a performance machine. Hilltop Motors in the UK do an ECU reflash, I believe it's around 380 british quid and it can be done through the post. To me it seems like a good option. I think the general attitude of a lot of boxer owners is that if you want a heap more power and sharper handling then get a faster bike. Personally I think another 15 hp or so would be useful sometimes!

#11 ·
You probably bought the wrong bike, if you want to modify it like a Ducati.
I guess the Monster would be better suited for this!

The BMW bikes are not the modifiers best friend and most riders are a little older and don't have the need for forged wheels or an ECU re flash.

On the other hand I could say that my bike is nearly perfect from factory and I don't need to change a lot ;)

Stucki 2Rad in Switzerland modifies the R12R LC heavily
There is a new cylinder head available (up to 146 Horses), which was introduced at the last Intermot in Cologne
Many performance parts get introduced for the GS first, as it has a much larger target audience.
But there are ECU mods, other exhaust systems and so on.

#12 ·
BMW R 1200 R Motorcycle Parts - Aftermarket & Performance | MotoSport

R&G Racing | All Products for BMW - R1200R

BMW R1200R MAGNUM EVO-Tech Motorcycle Performance Chip

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/

Ted Porter's beemershop

and you must have looked at Revzilla

but your assessment is mostly true, and that is because of the usage that most bmw riders desire. Many treat the bike as a teutonic lawn jockey. Not here of course! :grin2: Most riders accept the engine and drivetrain as a given, as is, and only consider mods as "creature comforts." Typically, if a rider desires very high performance and racing and BMW they are looking at the non-boxer line, the S line, the K line the HP4. That is not to say that boxers are not performance engines, but when they are modified for performance they fall under the category of "Isn't that interesting," for most riders of the marque, rather than, "I gotta do that too!"

Sometimes you can find performance tips on other forums, like the advrider forum--look at G-Spot, and remember that performance tips for the RS and the GS(a) also apply to the roadster. But the short answer is most BMW riders are very satisfied with the performance as is and see no need for re-mapping, special chips, etc.

One tip, and I don't know if he's still around, is a guy that has the handle "Lost rider" who has a blog and loves his r1200r. He has experimented with performance mods. he is in California and you might be able to contact him for guidance or opinion.

Good luck, and I assure you the people here will be interested in the mods you make. Another maybe germane thing is over on the r1200gs.info forum, there is a member, Houdini, who took his 1200 boxer engine apart looking for a "noise" (a noise that 'they all do"). there is a pictorial. he might be a contact for you also.
Again, remember that under the skin (mostly) the GS, the r1200r, the r1200rs, they are the same bike--certain differences for sure, but the family resemblance is strong.

John

#13 ·
I've scanned ebay etc for accessories and as others have said, it's mostly screens, exhausts and carbon fibre. To get significant improvements in R engine performance and match that with suspension upgrades seems to indicate that a trade to an S1000R would give much better VFM and 165hp standard! Even riding pretty quickly I rarely use full throttle or more than 7,000rpm so for me extra hp would be pointless.

16yrs ago I spent £££ on my Harley Road-King upgrading the engine, exhaust etc. Unfortunately the wobbly handling over 90mph means that it was a complete waste of money...although I've still got the old hippo.

#14 ·
Thank you everyone for your input, especially to those who took time to post links.
Thank you, very much appreciated, and loads of food for thought there.

Marcimark....no, I don't think I've got the wrong bike.
I don't want to modify it like a Ducati....already own an Aprilia....so kinda already done that?
This is all about making a good bike better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.