usb port in radio control location (or other USB locations) - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

usb port in radio control location (or other USB locations)

I have a new to me 2013RT and was wondering if anyone has installed a USB outlet in the cover that goes over the radio control cutouts on the left of the fairing.
Obviously it would need to be waterproof and align with one of the eight holes where the switches would go (if one had a radio).
I discovered these holes when inspecting the bike and snapping the cover off. Sadly, I didn't get it snapped back into place properly and lost it somewhere in the freeway. A new cover set me back 30 bucks
I did get a USB connector that goes into the BMW socket on the left of the fairing but its a bit obtrusive and too far away from my phone mount. I think a better solution would be a dedicated USB port where the radio switches were.
Possibly there's even a better solution for a dedicated usb port (for an android phone or camera). That said, even two USB ports would be a nice addition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La., aka New Orleans
So, you're looking for a USB socket that fits into a pre-existing hole on your RT's dash? Sounds like a good idea. I have a usb plug mounted on my GS in an out of the way/non-obtrusuve/accessible place, but it is rectangular. It has a rain cover, but the plug is always occupied by my Rube Goldberg bluetooth setup, also unobtrusive. The sleek covered style of the RT would preclude that though. It would work for a roadster, but likely not an RT, unless there are nooks or crannies to hide one.
Or you could drill a hole in your dash and mount this or something like it

That could probably be done easily and look pretty neat, I think, and address your concerns.

Fo my riding, and YMMV of course, I charge everything up overnight, so I do not have to charge on the road. I am able to do so, if need be, via my above USB port, or through the accessory socket, but in usual riding, even long distance/long day things stay charged so adverse esthetics you describe do not arise.

another option is to run the port to the topcase for charging on the go, but realtime while-riding access would be problematic. Still you could charge stuff back there, out of sight while underway.

If you figure out a way please post.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page