ABS Pro update avail? - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 Old 06-29-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

ABS Pro update avail?

Has anyone heard anything about an ABS Pro update for the 15-16MY 1200R LCs? My dealer thought he saw something about the RS being able to be upgraded, but not the R...?

Would love this update... the first year GS LCs were able to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 PM

Garage
Nothing heard yet. I have a friend who's waiting for it before committing to an RS. He reckons he needs all the help he can get!
pyrocpu likes this.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #3 of 94 Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Garage
My dealer reckoned they priced the upgrade at over $1500 for an RR and reckoned I'd be better off trading up. Yeah, right ...

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!

post #4 of 94 Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 PM

Are you saying that the upgrade is available for 1500?
post #5 of 94 Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Garage
That's what they said - for the S1000RR. They didn't have an immediate answer regarding the R and I didn't press them to investigate as I'm not interested in purchasing it (or a new model).

post #6 of 94 Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the 17MY R1200R/R1200RS will have ABS Pro!
https://youtu.be/R4rEakjCVSM?t=51s

Hoping it's just a matter of time before we can get our bikes reflashed... I seem to recall my local dealer saying it something like USD $750 (figure $810 after Los Angeles County sales tax) or so for reflashing a S1000R/RR for ABS Pro...?
post #7 of 94 Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocpu View Post
Looks like the 17MY R1200R/R1200RS will have ABS Pro!
https://youtu.be/R4rEakjCVSM?t=51s

Hoping it's just a matter of time before we can get our bikes reflashed... I seem to recall my local dealer saying it something like USD $750 (figure $810 after Los Angeles County sales tax) or so for reflashing a S1000R/RR for ABS Pro...?
I retrofitted my S1000RR (2015) already and it was around $500. It didn't need any new hardware though. ABS Pro is important enough for me that I'd trade my 2016 R1200R for a 2017 or pick up a different bike if they don't offer a retrofit. I was hoping that someone might have heard something? It has the hardware needed (the Bosch IMU), so I imagine they will... but you never know with BMW.

If anyone has any insight that would be awesome.
Panzermann likes this.
post #8 of 94 Old 07-07-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I do also really want ABS Pro as a retrofit; however, I just cannot justify unloading my 15MY LC for a 17MY LC... I'd be lucky to get $13K for my fully loaded R, then only to buy another one, plus CA charges sales tax on the full price of the new bike, without any credit for trade in on the new one... I couldn't do it!

Before I bought my LC, I did recall reading/watching a couple of reviews where it was stated when in the Dynamic Ride Mode, then the bike has lean-sensitive traction control, just as the R1200GS/GSA have had since launch. That to me seemed to imply that there's an IMU buried somewhere in there. Then with the GS/GSA, and also the S1000R reflash you'd experienced, hope's high on having a reflash available.

Regarding pricing then, perhaps it would be best if I shopped different dealers to find a better price then. Well, if all this happens, anyway.
lumy likes this.
post #9 of 94 Old 10-20-2016, 05:41 PM

Just checking in on anybody hearing anything about an ABS PRO upgrade date or price?
post #10 of 94 Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 AM

Like the ABS that come on many motorcycles, ABS Pro is a safety feature, not a performance enhancement. I think that everyone should be aware that while ABS Pro makes braking in a corner safer, it does not guarantee that you can grab a handful of brakes and not crash. Whatever degree of safety that it might provide for normal street riding, it is not recommended for use on the track.

ABS Pro is no substitute for proper cornering technique. It will not protect you much from pushing your bike too hard into a corner or from the consequences of riding recklessly on roads where you are likely to encounter road obstructions, wildlife, stopped tourists, etc. The worst case would be for a rider to develop a false sense of security and wreck making a turn that he would have never tried without ABS Pro.

Would I object to having ABS Pro on my 2015 R1200R? No. I like safety technologies. Would I sell my 2015 without ABS Pro and buy a 2017 R1200R with it? No! If a retrofit were offered at a reasonable price, I would not object to adding it to my motorcycle. However, I would not pay $1,500 for the upgrade; it just would not be worth it to me.

I think that you have to evaluate your riding style and the issues that you have had in the past with braking in corners. I came to BWM in 2015 from the Harley Davidson community where we were all used to riding heavier, less responsive motorcycles that did not have ABS. The advantage of that is that you have to learn how to set up a for a turn, how to ride with a safety margin in turns, and how to brake in a turn safely if the need were to arise.

One of the best braking techniques is to ride a line that will let you get the bike upright and brake really hard, as opposed to braking mildly while remaining leaned over. A late apex turn, where you brake effectively going into the turn, with the intent of accelerating out the turn, gives you a straighter line through the turn. But you can't use that technique on every turn, unfortunately.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermann View Post
Nothing heard yet. I have a friend who's waiting for it before committing to an RS. He reckons he needs all the help he can get!
roadscum likes this.

Pete

2015 R1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page