Selling or not? - Page 2 - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 PM

I got the quietest helmet on the market at the time, Schuberth C3 Pro - which were on sale at Revzilla last week, maybe they still are. I also got Sena 20S communication system. It works fine while wearing ear plugs, although I rarely wear them unless I'm doing a longer ride at freeway speed because the helmet is pretty quiet. The reason I got the Sena 20S is that in addition to the helmet speakers they have an ear bud jack and I wanted the option of using active sound cancelling ear buds to neutralize the wind noise. Haven't felt the need for the ear buds yet.

I have an R12R with no wind screen, so the air is non-turbulent at the helmet. I test rode an RT and found there was less wind noise on my R12R up to about 50mph and the RT wasn't much better beyond that, although it was better - just not as much as I expected. Test a bike with fairing before you decide. The other thing was that the RT weighs more, about 100 lbs, but it doesn't really fell that much different than the R12R, even at slow speeds, and the extra weight goes away above 15 or 20 mph. Maybe the RT would feel heavier all the time to some, but I don't scrape the pegs anyway.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Grey, Touring/Comfort Package, Shift Assist Pro; Added: BMW engine bars, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Clearwater Darla and Billie Brake Lights, Wunderlich front axle and swing arm sliders, MudSlinger, Shad cases
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 Old 12-20-2016, 04:17 PM

This is quite common - see my post on here!

I have also tried 3 variations - Givi/none/Sport screen and Sport the best option for me anyway.

Screen choice

2012 R12R Classic - pretty much fully loaded I think, Sport screen and unknown cylinder guards
post #13 of 47 Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Wind noise and buffeting can be a nuisance.
Even my different jackets can cause more or less noise, I try to make sure the collar strap is done up, keep everything smooth.
Can leather jackets be more potentially quiet than textile versions?
Noise can also be created at the bottom of your helmet, a neck guard can sometimes quieten any buffeting around this area.

Currently a 2014 BMW r1200r Darkwhite odo 20,000km's

Cheers...Erin

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer/Arrow exhausts / 2007 BMW r1200r Black odo 75,000km's (Traded)

post #14 of 47 Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGeese View Post
BTW give earplugs a try. I really like these and they work great to still listen to music, intercom, gps, etc. Essentially, they seem to cut more of the decibals related to droning wind noise and less of what's actually in your helmet.
What earplugs do you guys wear? The industrial foam kind anyone has at work? Or do you use custom fitted ones?

If custom, where do you purchase, how does it work and what is the cost?

I have a Sena unit in my helmet and never thought about earplugs as I am worried about not being able to hear the headphones properly. Guess I should try it? What are your thoughts?

2010 R1200R
Biarritz Blue Metallic, BMW OEM Sport Screen, BMW Cylinder Head Protectors, BMW Komfortsitz, BMW Side Panniers and Top Case, CLEARWATER Lights, Grip Puppies, GIVI 3D603 Tank Bag.
Current Mileage: 11,824

2013 R1200GS Adventure (sold)
2005 R1200RT (sold)
2002 R1150RT (sold)
1972 Moto Guzzi 250TS (left in Germany when moving to CA)
post #15 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 12:10 AM

Garage
I wear custom moulded silicon plugs (Earmold brand in Australia). They remain flexible and are Class 5, blocking out sound in accordance with that spec.

They're comfortable to wear all day, although I still notice the effect of noise on my ears after a 12 hour day in the saddle.

I've used foam plugs for decades but they have a tendency to move/loosen after some time (or when donning your helmet) and the pressure they maintain against your skin can become uncomfortable after some hours.

I'd be interested to see how ISOLATE plugs work for motorcycle applications, noting their attenuation characteristics are different to many other ear plugs, simply quietening all frequencies, whereas Earmold and the like tend to dampen higher frequencies (like wind whistle) more.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #16 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 AM

Garage
Not sure how much you need a windscreen. I gave up on windscreens and I am using a carbon fiber version of the "Pure" Screen, which offers virtually no protection and is mostly only for looks. It is much quieter than the other windscreens I tried.

I use earplugs and I can hear my GPS, phone and music fine. I can hear people talking to me much better than my standard earplugs. These are the ones I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With a screen, the wind hit me in the face shield and these earplugs amplified the wind noise turbulence to the point where it was painful. Without a windscreen, the helmet is in clean air and these are great. Still can hear what is going on around you and the wind noise is kept at a tolerable level.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Grey Metallic D-ESA

SSR Carbon Fiber Windscreen / Hepco & Becker Engine Guard, Alurack, and Junior 55 Top Case / Wunderlich Bar Risers and Radiator Guard / Grip Puppies / Knight Design Lowered Front Foot Pegs / Booster Plug / BMW Navigator V / Other Tiny Bling Stuff
post #17 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 05:01 AM

Garage
I started wearing earplugs several years ago. I have moulded silicon items made by Ultimate in South London. I can still hear my satnav through my Sena bluetooth unit at all speeds. I too did away with a large screen and much prefer the very small sport screen on my 2009.

Dave

2009 R1200R Roadster
2005 R1200ST
Don't forget, motorcyclists have more fun in a group
post #18 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 AM

Garage
I like Howard Leight Low Pressure. I can hear COM/Music/GPS better WITH them. They're cheap, always carry extra on the bike in case I drop one in a parking lot, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...t+low+pressure

It's night and day truly. You're less tired at the end of a ride to boot.
post #19 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am well aware of ear plugs, as I have worn them for years. The aim was not to wear them, as I talk on the phone at times, as I use the bike for business trips as well.
Therefore I tried different helmets (Shoei head) and different screens.

Today I test rode a Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the wind buffeting is only marginally reduced with the screen in low setting (no wind pressure on chest, but same buffeting around head), but it is beautiful with the screen in high setting.
I have never been a fan of Ducati's and find their prices obscene ($32,500 RRP incl. Touring pack), but this bike is just so much fun. It is really fast, handles just perfect and is comfortable. Unfortunately my legs are a little short for this bike and the price is just the turn off. It is also not available with a quick shifter, something I really like on the R12R. The TFT screen is fantastic and I wish BMW would do something similar.

I have booked a test ride on a R1200GS with low seat for Friday and just found out that my dealer has a R1200GS Adventure Triple Black with low suspension. I hope I can take that for a spin.

I might wear ear plugs again and take the screen off, but I'm still surprised how noise the R1200R is compared to any other naked bike I have owned before I got the BMW.

2015 R1200R Thundergrey with most factory options.
Evotech Radiator Guard - different screens - SW-Motech tank bag and Blaze panniers - X-Head Protectors - BarkBuster hand protectors - GPR Exhaust- MaMo light bars with LED lights, HexEzCan - Magnum Horn - Farkled up to the max
post #20 of 47 Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGeese View Post

There is a ~$8 USD part that is available to cover the triangle behind the instrument gauges on the r12r LC. It takes 10 minutes to swap it out with the sport screen.
Thanks for mentioning this, any more information on this part?
Happy to give it a crack.

2015 R1200R Thundergrey with most factory options.
Evotech Radiator Guard - different screens - SW-Motech tank bag and Blaze panniers - X-Head Protectors - BarkBuster hand protectors - GPR Exhaust- MaMo light bars with LED lights, HexEzCan - Magnum Horn - Farkled up to the max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page