BMW R1200R Forum banner

Oil question

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  arfingdog 
#1 ·
Is 10W 40 full synthetic motorcycle oil (Mobil 1) ok for the R12R LC?

#2 ·
May I suggest another new Auto Response item - Oil Questions Are Not Allowed Here.

(Only kidding, Prof).:wink2:

Reactions: TundraGreen
#5 ·
Well, it's not really OK. What's OK is what is spec'ed in the manual, which is 5W-40 SL/JASO MA2 The JASO MA2 spec is about the oil's compatibility with the bike's wet clutch.

Reactions: Panzermann
#10 ·
Oh, Shell Rotella T6 and don't look back. It's very good stuff. The one gallon jug can be poured in at one time, ie without measuring, and it goes right to the spot you want, on a GS right to the G Spot. And you'll save a few bucks. 10 W is fine unless you are in some very cold area and really need something for very cold starts. 30s and rare 20sF don't count. Change it every 6k miles.
This is not just my opinion, but absolute dogma and for the Earth to continue to rotate on its axis properly, it should be followed unquestionably. God told me that. (S)he rides a GS, btw.

#11 ·
Yikes, should've known I was opening a can of oily worms with this thread. Apologies, but I guess I have my answer. 10W40 has gone in. T4 racing Mobil 1, as well, since my Walmart had no other motorcycle oil. Don't know that the "racing" makes any difference. Guess I will have to ride faster. I did overfill a bit; the oil level is above the top of the red circle when I have the bike on the centerstand. When I put it on the sidestand, it comes down under. Is that a problem? I did try to siphon out some of the oil, but with no luck...too viscuous for my spraybottle applicator. Plus, there's not much oil that sits down in the cylinder when the bike is on the centerstand. Interestingly, typical German over-engineering dictates that you cannot back out the oil drain plug and expect just a little oil to come out. You have to actually remove the drain plug and then it all gushes out; so not a good way to remove just a little oil.

#12 ·
A slight overfill is OK but can hamper shift smoothness. I've removed a little oil from the dealer's overfill via the drain plug; just back it off very slowly (with a cold engine) until it just releases, then hold the plug in place as the required amount of oil flows past. Then screw it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.