> FAQ
»
» Other BMW Motorcycle Sites

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default This is a MUST

Hello everyone,
as you remember, exactly one month ago, forum member and cool dude Websterize shared with us a problem that our bikes have with rust on the fuel filler, all because for some reason Beemer decided to cut that corner.

The best $3 you can spend on your R12R -- Abdeckring tank cover

After following his thread, I decided I didn't want to spend $9.00 shipping on a $3.00 item so I ordered one with my dealership.

One week after that it arrived and because I have being extremely busy growing grey hair with help of my architect, contractor and DOB, it took me this long to install it.

At first, I thought it would take 3 minutes, pretty straight forward procedure, remove 4 screws, install gasket, replace 4 screws.

Good thing I followed Clem's curiosity and removed the red filler just to make sure everything was ok. Oh what a nasty surprise.

Please consider that I keep my bike indoors at all times, I rarely ride on the rain and NEVER wash it.

I really don't know why Beemer didn't just put that gasket, or at least some kind of rust proof coat, or at least just paint it, it's just the naked pure steel down there, it makes me think they just want to secretly make some money after few years when we need to replace the whole tank and the warranty has expired.

They know that the gasket is the same for few bikes and the R1200Rs before 2010 has it, so why did they just decided on cutting this corner?

I know the well known fuel strip problem is annoying but as long as you keep track of your mileage, you'll be fine, many bikes years ago didn't have fuel level readers at all, but non of them where predisposed to rust. I'm sad, mad and disappointed.

In this first picture there is no sign of any damage whatsoever, last time bike saw water was before winter.

This is how much it really cost for us, the costumers, how much did BMW saved by cutting this corner.

Here is the thing

The only tool you need (plus whatever you attached that too)

Remove the 4 screws on both sides.

Remove the top fuel filler cap.
At this point you can just place the gasket, replace the filler and screws and you are set.
If you wish to see the condition of your tank, then go ahead.

Remove the remaining 3 screws.

Remove the red filler

Surprise surprise

Remove this gasket

Somehow it was wet.

Hoshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I didn't want to remove the whole tank to fix it, and didn't want to sand the rust because the dust would end up inside the tank, so after drying it, I used metal polish and old good elbow grease.

Once all the rust was gone, I taped the interior of the cap, which is painted just like the rest of the tank, and just how the bottom supposed to be.
And used some foil to protect the tank.

Made a cardboard cover for the gas hole.

Left a little extra space to be able to remove with a bread bag wire attached to it.

Painted with some exhaust paint I had left over from my FZ6, I used it for the headers and it lasted trough high temperatures and water, so I figured out it will work here.
Same can I used to paint my EzPass to blend with rest of the bike.

After letting dry for 10 minutes and apply another thin layer, remove the cardboard and let dry.

Nice

Clean and replace gasket

Clean and replace red filler with 3 screws

Put the new gasket in place

Replace the top cap with the 4 screws

Final

Hope this was helpful and you are calling your dealership to place an order of such gasket NOW.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Thank you, Hoshiko!! Like you, my R12 is garaged, seldom wet, and seldom washed with copious water. I assumed that in my case the gasket would not be necessary...now I'll buy one when I take my bike in for a fuel sensor strip. I agree, its just cutting corners to allow raw steel in this application...which, btw, is the reason I sold my 2800CS BMW auto in 1978 and never went back for another. The 2800CS had major rust through within 5 years, and never saw salt, winter roads, meticulously maintained and always garaged. I'm still mad. Its not just BMW though...pretty much universal to save pennies in the short run, but lose customers over the longer haul.

btw, did you check my HR1 pics out on the exhaust thread? What an improvement to delete the water heater. Thanks for all your good guidance.
Birkenfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkenfelder View Post
btw, did you check my HR1 pics out on the exhaust thread? What an improvement to delete the water heater. Thanks for all your good guidance.
Even if you bike is not rusted, I think you should just get the **** thing.

I just look at the pics, nice looking bike, and supercool key chain too.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Hoshiko;23986]Even if you bike is not rusted, I think you should just get the **** thing.[QUOTE]

Thanks for this detailed process, Hoshiko - another gem from you - and I shall be ordering one on-line immediately. Just one minor ? - in your 'final' pic the ring appears to be sitting a little 'proud' of its recess for a good part of the circumference of the opening. Is this it, or had you just not fully pushed the ring in? Whatever, it won't stop me from proceeding.

I can just see my ad when I come to sell the bike - 'genuine Abdeckring installed' under the list of extras!

L of S
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

F-word. I put in the gasket. . .I am NOT re-dissassembling part of the bike to sand and repaint them. Will ask the dealer at some far distant tuneup.
drDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #7

BMW, sssooooooo disappointing. My gasket has been ordered.
Regards John
johnvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

Hoshiko, in your last picture, it doesn't appear the gasket covers the seam from about 10 o'clock to 4'oclock. It should cover the seam all the way around. I posted a photo of mine in the link you kindly referenced above. I have an '09, but I doubt the dimensions of the fuel filler changed after the 2011 facelift.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

Sorry, 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock, clockwise.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by websterize View Post
Hoshiko, in your last picture, it doesn't appear the gasket covers the seam from about 10 o'clock to 4'oclock. It should cover the seam all the way around. I posted a photo of mine in the link you kindly referenced above. I have an '09, but I doubt the dimensions of the fuel filler changed after the 2011 facelift.
I just didn't centered it.
it fit's perfectly now that I have put it right at the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement