2017 R1200 RS with anti judder damper, etc - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

2017 R1200 RS with anti judder damper, etc

Just curious if anyone has tested ridden the latest RS with the anti judder damper and found any improvement to the jacking effect of the shaft drive esp low speed on and off throttle.
Any other differences to the previous RS would be interesting too.

I was tempted to consider the latest RS as a touring machine whilst my 2014 a/c R12R is used intra city.

2014 R1200R Dark White bought new
A returning rider after 12 year layoff
Owned a dozen Japanese street and sport bikes over a 25 yr period of riding before laying off.
Currently ride both the R1200R & a Ducati Hypermotard 821 for scratching tight windies on Sundays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Garage
Never noticed any jacking effect on my R-LC. I can't imagine how a judder damper (which is simply a resilient coupling) would have any effect on it anyway.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #3 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermann View Post
Never noticed any jacking effect on my R-LC. I can't imagine how a judder damper (which is simply a resilient coupling) would have any effect on it anyway.
While admiring your economy of words, PZ, BMW describes it differently as "Judder damper on the transmission output shaft along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shaft, and transmission shaft bearings".

Whatever, it works brilliantly!

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Racing Red fully-optioned 2017 R1200 R LC Roadster, delivered January 28th 2017

post #4 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 AM

I tested a 2017 GS recently whilst my 2016 R was in for a service. The only noticeable difference in engine\transmission was that the '17 gearbox is a definite improvement; smoother and easier shifting and less clunky.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 06:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
While admiring your economy of words, PZ, BMW describes it differently as "Judder damper on the transmission output shaft along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shaft, and transmission shaft bearings".

Whatever, it works brilliantly!
To be nore expansive, LoS, the revised selector drum actuators would contribute to smoother shifting, and the revised shaft with judder damper may also contribute somewhat (as well as reducing shock on the transmission). The transmission shaft bearings would presumably contribute to longer life. None of these, though, would affect any perceived jacking effect.

I must admit that my '15 LC requires a particular shifting technique to avoid a clunk, so the transmission revisions are the only thing from the latest R that I wouldn't mind having. ABS Pro would be a 'nice to have', but I've never stretched the current ABS to the extent that I feel I need the Pro version. Dynamische Bremslicht Amateur is worthwhile, however.
roadscum likes this.

01 June 2015 Thunder Grey Exclusive LC with touring pack, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Techspec tank grips, F800 Sports panniers, Givi V47NT topcase, Evotech radiator guard, Barkbuster Carbon handguards, Possum-Spotter LED running lights, dual USB charging outlets, Zumo 550 GPS, Stop Alert brake light flasher and (for winter) Puig 7651W Sport screen. Die Straße gehört mir!
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM

Hmmmmm, I didn't realize my '15 R1200R(with SAP) had the "judders", it shift fairly well for a BMW. On the other hand the '15 GSA shifts as though it suffering from some serious infliction, perhaps the 'judders'.

Paul
post #7 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
To be nore expansive, LoS, the revised selector drum actuators would contribute to smoother shifting, and the revised shaft with judder damper may also contribute somewhat (as well as reducing shock on the transmission). The transmission shaft bearings would presumably contribute to longer life. None of these, though, would affect any perceived jacking effect.

I must admit that my '15 LC requires a particular shifting technique to avoid a clunk, so the transmission revisions are the only thing from the latest R that I wouldn't mind having. ABS Pro would be a 'nice to have', but I've never stretched the current ABS to the extent that I feel I need the Pro version. Dynamische Bremslicht Amateur is worthwhile, however.
I just wish that the next phase of development might remove totally that sensation and noise of a Mack truck ploughing into the back of the bike when - most times - engaging first gear from stand-still, as at traffic lights.

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
I just wish that the next phase of development might remove totally that sensation and noise of a Mack truck ploughing into the back of the bike when - most times - engaging first gear from stand-still, as at traffic lights.
I try to avoid it by keeping the bike in gear at lights - mechanical clunks like that just don't sound right (something must be wearing).

When starting the engine, I leave it in first gear and rock the bike backwards or forwards to free the clutch before engaging the starter (still in gear) - starts first touch. From a cold start, I wheel the bike out if the garage with the clutch in and in first gear; slip into neutral for startup, then the first gear selection is silent.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I try to avoid it by keeping the bike in gear at lights - mechanical clunks like that just don't sound right (something must be wearing).When starting the engine, I leave it in first gear and rock the bike backwards or forwards to free the clutch before engaging the starter (still in gear) - starts first touch. From a cold start, I wheel the bike out if the garage with the clutch in and in first gear; slip into neutral for startup, then the first gear selection is silent.
First - we don't have cold starts up here, PZ - lukewarm would be the very worst. More seriously, I had always been 'taught' that one should not allow a bike to stand idling with bike in gear and clutch in (disengaged) for any length of time over a very few seconds - as typically at traffic-lights - as it was deemed to be 'unhealthy' for the clutch. Or is that another old wives tale now out the window?
Panzermann likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 PM

The cars I used to work on had something we called a "throw out bearing" that would press against the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. I actually had one fail on a VW bus I used to abuse.

On my bike, if I'm stopped where there is any possibility of being rear ended I'll leave it in 1st with the clutch pulled so I can maybe get out of the way in time if I see it coming in the mirror.

2015 R1200R - Thunder Grey, Touring/Comfort Package, Shift Assist Pro; Added: BMW engine bars, high seat, comfort pillion seat, Clearwater Darla and Billie Brake Lights, Wunderlich front axle and swing arm sliders, MudSlinger, Shad cases
The Following User Says Thank You to justcharlie For This Useful Post:
Lawrence of Suburbia (04-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page