BMW R1200R Forum banner

2017 R1200 RS with anti judder damper, etc

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Panzermann 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has tested ridden the latest RS with the anti judder damper and found any improvement to the jacking effect of the shaft drive esp low speed on and off throttle.
Any other differences to the previous RS would be interesting too.

I was tempted to consider the latest RS as a touring machine whilst my 2014 a/c R12R is used intra city.

#3 ·
While admiring your economy of words, PZ, BMW describes it differently as "Judder damper on the transmission output shaft along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shaft, and transmission shaft bearings".

Whatever, it works brilliantly!:nerd:

#10 ·
The cars I used to work on had something we called a "throw out bearing" that would press against the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. I actually had one fail on a VW bus I used to abuse.

On my bike, if I'm stopped where there is any possibility of being rear ended I'll leave it in 1st with the clutch pulled so I can maybe get out of the way in time if I see it coming in the mirror.

#12 ·
Having been a victim many years ago of a rear-ending while stopped at a light, not once but TWICE, I never sit stopped while in neutral. Always in 1st, clutch pulled in, foot on rear brake, scanning behind me, with a clear path of escape ahead. And on more than one occasion I've had to use that escape path to get away from some dimwit behind me.

The first rear-ender was by a woman in a very large black Suburban, who was reading a road map while stopped behind me. She apparently glanced up over the map to see the light change to green and proceeded to floor it, unable to see me in front of her waiting for a pedestrian to cross before turning. I've never worn out a motorcycle clutch, in more than 50 years of riding.

I'm not sure what it is about me, but I was also rear-ended in my 4x4 truck a coupe of years ago while stopped at a light. A young woman managed to drive her Honda Civic underneath the back end of the truck all the way to the axle. One written-off Civic and one slightly bent bumper on the truck.

#14 ·
I was taught by ex police instructors neutral, hand covering clutch. Left foot hovering over gear leaver. Logic being clutches used to overheat & get grabby in traffic. I agree with that when I had an XL500 Honda years ago & my XJ900 the same but never an issue on later bikes. I just think the complainers here are unaccepting that BMW boxer gearboxes are agricultural in their operation when compared to Japanese bikes. Get over it & accept as a quirk of boxers. BTW I understand the box fitted to the new 1250’s are sublimely smooth by boxer standards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.