BMW R1200R Forum banner

Screen height

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  moto-rama 
#1 · (Edited)
Does the height, width and protection of the RS screen suit you?

Is manual adjustment good for you? Would electric be preferred?

And how about the color schemes?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
From the couple of times riding on the RS found I could not pull the screen up on the fly, this might be just becoming more accustom to the mechanism which raises and lowered the screen.

At 5'7" an inside leg measurement of 32" I found the screen very good set low, I rode in very windy conditions, it must be a boon riding in the rain to set the screen higher, electric would be helpful but not necessary for me.

This year a white version is out, I do like this, this would be my choice of colour.

Then later I would have the brake callipers powder coated red, and some red clutch and brake levers

#7 ·
From the couple of times riding on the RS found I could not pull the screen up on the fly, this might be just becoming more accustom to the mechanism which raises and lowered the screen.

At 5'7" an inside leg measurement of 32" I found the screen very good set low, I rode in very windy conditions, it must be a boon riding in the rain to set the screen higher, electric would be helpful but not necessary for me.

This year a white version is out, I do like this, this would be my choice of colour.

Then later I would have the brake callipers powder coated red, and some red clutch and brake levers

I'm liking that colour scheme also. I'm thinking if I trade my white/red R on one my other half won't realise it's a new bike, she'll just think I bought another fairing LOL

#3 · (Edited)
Sports model

I was strictly warned before taking the loaner out NOT to try and adjust the screen when moving.
A strong but balanced two-handed pull raises it easily, but a single hand attempt is more apt to get it binding up.
Electric screens is not necessary for me either, but a manual turn knob like the GS would be easy and safe while moving.
It felt more like I was sitting in the bike than up on the machine. The R1100R and _LC Roadster felt similar.
I love the gunmetal color, but the Celebration tri-color scheme my dealer has is very attractive, too.

These new Brembo brakes. +1 Me likey! She'll slow down from a buck twenty to the speed limit in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
It felt more like I was sitting in the bike than up on the machine. The R1100R and _LC Roadster felt similar.
I love the gunmetal color, but the Celebration tri-color scheme my dealer has is very attractive, too.
I'm 6' with 34" inseam, my wife is 5'10" with 34" inseam and both of us are happy with the stock screen in the low position. Both of us have the standard height seat.
The seat in your video looks like a low seat which should be the same as the R1200R standard seat in the US.
The Tri-color is not available in the US and have not seen it mentioned by members from other countries on the R1200RS forum.

Reactions: joebloggz
#4 ·
And for anyone with the R1200R lc you can keep all your aftermarket bits like mudslingers, exhaust etc and transfer them onto your new RS
In this vid the rider is able to shove the screen down on the move but yeah pulling it up with one hand might not be so easy, i see he gets another 20kph out of the RS with the screen down

#9 ·
I also find the screen too low as it generates so much turbulence - much less when the screen is in the upper position. After looking around, it seems the best option is to go for an aftermarket replacement from Wunderlich - so I've ordered one and await delivery to check out the changes...

#10 ·
I haven't been able to ride my rs a lot in the last month, I just got it a month ago and Wisconsin weather sucks... But I like the windshield height so far, up when it's really cold. I've had a lot of different GSs and used to play with aftermarket windshields but gave up getting anything bigger than stock, I don't like the backdraft from Big windshields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.