BMW R1200R Forum banner

Semi-Naked RS

9K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  joebloggz 
#1 ·
I wouldn't swap my R for an RS, but one thing that deterred me from considering the RS is the bulk of the fairing lowers. Without wanting to be disparaging, (in white in particular) they look like the open mouth of a whale. This is more obvious when BMW insists on putting the bike in its Sports category, alongside the slender S1000RR.

While looking at assembly line pictures of the RS, I couldn't help thinking the RS without its fairing lowers looked much more sleek than the fully assembled machine. An enterprising accessory maker (Wunderlich, Touratech, Givi ...) could make a killing I reckon marketing suitable 'bikini lowers' for the fairing - as a summer option for RS owners if not all year round. Include some mounts for the stalk indicators, add R radiator shrouds just for tidiness, and you'd end up with a much sleeker looking machine.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
While looking at assembly line pictures of the RS, I couldn't help thinking the RS without its fairing lowers looked much more sleek than the fully assembled machine. An enterprising accessory maker (Wunderlich, Touratech, Givi ...) could make a killing I reckon marketing suitable 'bikini lowers' for the fairing - as a summer option for RS owners if not all year round. Include some mounts for the stalk indicators, add R radiator shrouds just for tidiness, and you'd end up with a much sleeker looking machine.
Could someone much more skilful than I kindly create a pic of what Panzermann describes and post it here, ideally with a side-by-side pic of the 'standard' RS. I shall pop in to IKEA and ALDI tomorrow to see what they may have that could be adaptable... maybe a table-lamp or a set of saucepans. I saw an RS in a servo a few days ago - in a sort-of light grey (gray) colour - and thought it looked pretty nice.

#5 · (Edited)
NO.no.no.no. you guys have been looking at your bikes for far to long.

The RS looks great with the front fairings.

I'll speak for the RS owners here.....don't you think your r1200r looks better now with the RS fairing rotated and fitted? :wink2:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#13 ·
Reactions: Panzermann
#15 ·
Harken back to that Avinton Picture.......Is that a Turbo Charger AND a Supercharger.....?
Industrial - I don't think so. More like "beam me up Scotty".

Which does beg the question - has anyone fitted a turbo or Super charger to a LC Boxer yet????

#18 ·
Not wishing to flog a dead horse, but in seeking to tidy up some files on my computer this evening I chanced upon an image addressing this same issue, doctored up almost exactly two years ago (15 April 2015). This composite has the gold forks.

Attachments

#23 ·
I really like it, with a different colour scheme it could look quite good. The stock fairing lowers have the appearance of being thrown on and splattering like an egg, another quirky BMW design fail like the uneven eyeball effect on the k1300r. It's like BMW designers deliberately set out to be uncool thinking that will make them cool but it backfires on them and we all have to spend the next 10 years looking at a boggle eyed telelever stick insect or a not quite right RS. I'd still like one though :smile2:

#19 ·
The angle on that mock-up isn't quite right, PZ - as wasserboxer will doubtless point out in a heartbeat - or maybe the half-fairing is a bit oversized, but otherwise I reckon this could fly!

Reactions: wasserboxer
#20 ·
The angle is right, LoS, as it is two bikes at the same angle superimposed, then relevant parts blocked out in order to generate the result. While it would look OK in profile, perhaps it looks too top-heavy without the fairing lowers when viewed from forward angles.

#24 ·
RS Topics

Erin noted there have always been a couple R1200RS_LC forums around.
Haven't seen those websites online in recent searches.
The RS and Roadster share so much in common,
just wanted to WELCOME any RS owners, riders, fans, or RS posts.
We would all like to share the common ground of loving the BMW Boxer machines.:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.