new owner - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By dshimam
  • 1 Post By dshimam

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

new owner

I bought a 2012 R1200R last March in Portland, OR. My introduction ride was a 175 mile, mid 40 degree wet day trip back to the Seattle area. But I made it home with no drama. I'm 5'6" tall with a 28" inseam so the seat is some what tall. But the bike being so well balanced allows me to get away with just putting the toes of my left foot down with the right foot on the brake, so far.

I'm 65 and retired. I ride when I want, to some degree. We were predicted one day of sun so I headed for Astoria, OR. Well I got close. Didn't cross the bridge to Astoria.

With 2 1/2 days of sun I headed down to Bend, OR for the night. then west to Eugene and continued west to Florence. It was windy and colder on the coast so I turned east at Newport to Corvallis and north to Forest Grove where i stayed at the McMenamins Grand Lodge. Got a bunkbed room for 60 bucks with the bathroom down the hall. Spent another 60 bucks on beer and food.

I'm about 50 miles to the Sunrise entrance to Mt. Rainier. The passes beyond the Crystal Mountain ski resort are closed in the winter but I just happen to be up there today and they were taking down the road closed signs. So one of the passes, Cayuse, is open Chinook is still closed. There is no semi truck traffic allowed thru the park and Chinook pass so it's a great ride to the east side of Washington.

I've ridden over 2100 miles between the spring rainfalls and now that the weather is getting better I hope to get in a lot more fun miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r1200r in tigard copy.jpg (40.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg astoria copy.jpg (31.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg sister copy.jpg (34.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg cayuse copy.jpg (30.2 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 AM

I have the EXACT same bike (I bought for my son to ride with me). If you are looking for an occasional riding buddy let me know, i'm in Bothell.

Would probably ride my GS though...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

I've a soft spot for the hex and camhead boxers.

Welcome here dshimam, thats an impressive photo your bike in the photo with the snow on the sides of the road.....we don't get that accumulation of snow here in N.Z.

Hope you have plenty of fun filled riding miles of your retirement over the summer months.

Currently a 2014 BMW r1200r Darkwhite odo 20,000km's

Cheers...Erin

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer/Arrow exhausts / 2007 BMW r1200r Black odo 75,000km's (Traded)

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 AM

Garage
Welcome from Pennsylvania...some great shots of the area...what is your riding history..mostly BMW or??

2016 R1200R
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Dave

2009 R1200R Roadster
2005 R1200ST
Don't forget, motorcyclists have more fun in a group
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Garage
Welcome dshimam! Nice photos and a nice bike. Looks like you are going to enjoy that bike for many, many miles. This is a great forum. You will love it here and the bike. Take care.

Carroll
2011 Classic
Sargent seat, Painted sport screen, saftey brake lights, Go Cruise throttle lock, Garmin GPS
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
Welcome from Pennsylvania...some great shots of the area...what is your riding history..mostly BMW or??
I rode a Honda CL125 in the late 60's. But until 2009 I had not ridden a motorcycle for over 35 years. I finally got enough nerve to ask my wife if I could buy a motorcycle and she said sure. I took a basic riding class and got my license.
Cruiser or crotch rockets aren't me. A lot of bikes are just too tall. I ended up with a 2009 BMW G650GS. I like BMW's option, for a price, for a lower seat. A year later I traded for an F650GS twin. 2015 I traded for an F800R. I was thinking of getting a new 2016 R1200R but the dealer I always go to didn't want my 800R for a trade. They couldn't sell the new ones they had on the floor and didn't need my money.
So I saw this 2012 R1200R for sale on Craigslist. 3400 miles on it and came with side luggage, top case, and two oem windshields. When I test rode it I found it to be quite comfortable. I was even able to make a u-turn without the fear of falling over.
I live at the foothills of the Cascades. Like I said Mt Rainier is easily accessible. So is the east side of Mt St Helens. And if I continue south from there I end up at the Columbia River and Oregon. A lot of times I just ride the same mountain roads over and over. I don't care it's all fun.
NWGS likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGS View Post
I have the EXACT same bike (I bought for my son to ride with me). If you are looking for an occasional riding buddy let me know, i'm in Bothell.

Would probably ride my GS though...
Thanks. Yes I would like to meet up and bs. I have some questions, none pertaining to oil. Well maybe one. Let me know when you might be available to meet for lunch or something.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Awesome! I live in Portland and I actually work in Tigard. I just bought a R1200R and I'm looking for riding buddies. If you're ever down here again let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page