• 1 Post By Dave
  • 1 Post By mcmonkey mcbean
  • 2 Post By grahamspc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New R12R owner here in sunny AZ!

Hi all,

Normally I don't bother with joining MC forums, but I'm so darn excited by my new bike that I just had to find a community of like minded individuals to keep in touch with. I've had Cordelia (actually named from the color: Cordoba Blue) for less than 2 weeks. I've all but forgotten my Xterra Well, not really. I love my X too, just awful fuel economy.

So, here's a little history...

I've been riding since 2001. I started on a '96 Honda VT600 (VLX) that I picked up for a steal ($1000, needed repair but came with new forks). I rebuilt the bike, repainted it (a horrible yellow using krylon canned spray paint) and rode it for something like 4 years. I eventually sold it and "upgraded" to a 2000 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. Had that for a few years, then sold it.. and didn't replace it It wasn't the best bike in the world, but reliable. I just wasn't riding much and didn't feel confident on it. In any case, I didn't ride for 3 years until I got divorced, so it was back in the saddle again with a 2003 Harley XL1200C Sportster. Nice bike, super comfortable, excellent fuel economy, but absolutely no grin factor. Still not knowing what I wanted, I traded it in on a 2005 R1200RT. I didn't like it that much. Heavy, but handled well, and decent power compared to the Sportster. I also had a run-in with the law, traffic wise that made it impossible to drive for a bit So, I sold the beemer. After my legal issues subsided, I bought the bike that really taught me to ride, a 2007 Honda CB900 919. That bike was awesome! So light, flickable, and the first time in my life I challenged myself to take some risks and really push the limits of my motorcycle. I got it for a steal as well at $3600, one of the best deals of my life. Unfortunately, Candy (she was Candy Apple Red) was stolen after only 21 months of ownership

This brings me to today. I finally was able to look for something new and I scoured the web for bike reviews and videos. I wasn't even considering BMWs until I stopped by the local dealer here in Tucson and test drove some older bikes. I test drove a 2012 R1200R and thought it sounded awesome, but the handling and power just didn't compare to my 919. I tried a 2013 K1300S which was super fast, but quite heavy and it never felt light even at speed. I wanted the turn-in to be effortless and it certainly wasn't that, again by comparison. Plus, this helped me rule out the new 2014 Honda VFR 800D, which I thought I wanted, but when I felt the pain on my wrist after only a short ride on the K bike, I knew the Honda was out of the running. Besides, it too was heave with low specs. Then I perused the BMW site and saw the new R12R. It was sexy and the specs were a noticeable improvement over the older models, which I now know is due to the new water-cooled engine. When I saw that it also had standard inverted telescopic forks and a wet clutch, I thought this might actually be a fun bike. I test drove a 2017 model and knew instantly that this was going to be the closest thing to the feel of my 919 that could also handle a passenger and luggage. It doesn't hurt to have the best accessories like rider modes, ESA, DTC, ABS, and every other thing that you don't normally get on a motorcycle. I'm really enjoying the gear shift assist pro, or GASP as I've seen others refer to it.

So, yeah. This is my first brand new motorcycle and I'm totally stoked to have something so capable, so comfortable, and with such stunning looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cordelia-resized.jpg (607.0 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by zevilgenius; 05-17-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 PM

Well, that's quite a journey, but you've ended up in the right place! Though, maybe not if you're trying to avoid further run ins with the law ;-)
zevilgenius likes this.

Tom

2015 R1200R Blue

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Good that you didn't let your RT ownership put you off BMW.
zevilgenius likes this.

Dave

2009 R1200R Roadster
2005 R1200ST
Don't forget, motorcyclists have more fun in a group
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:
zevilgenius (05-18-2017)

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Ha Ha..nice intro Zevilgenius I'm just catching my breath

Well, there's a wealth of info to share, and some 'good sorts' that hang out here, to chew the fat with, over your new r1200r.
zevilgenius likes this.

Currently a 2014 BMW r1200r Darkwhite odo 20,000km's

Cheers...Erin

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer/Arrow exhausts / 2007 BMW r1200r Black odo 75,000km's (Traded)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Garage
Welcome from Pennsylvania....glad to see you have the right color.
arfingdog and zevilgenius like this.

2016 R1200R
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grahamspc For This Useful Post:
zevilgenius (05-18-2017)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the welcoming comments!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Garage
Welcome zevilgenius! Hope the awesome power of the new R bike doesn't get you back in trouble with the law. Maybe try some track days where you get let it all out. Just messing with ya! Anyway you found the right bike and the perfect forum. Stay tuned and take care.

Carroll
2011 Classic
Sargent seat, Painted sport screen, saftey brake lights, Go Cruise throttle lock, Garmin GPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page