BMW R1200R Forum banner

auto response...

7K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  Panzermann 
#1 ·
Auto responses

The ‘like’ response to posts here is well-used and helpful. Now as a suggestion can we please look into adding a ‘thank you’ response, given that so many here give freely of their knowledge and experiences, which I for one find invaluable as well as interesting.

‘Manners maketh the man’, or as the French say ‘toujours la Polytechnique’.:nerd:

Thank you!

Reactions: dbrick
#4 ·
Reactions: Svaha!Dean
#13 ·
I'd express an opinion, but then I'd probably end up apologizing profusely no matter what. So, sorry, but how about an unequivocal 'maybe'? >:)

I just assume that a Like is a Thank You of sorts. If I really want to say Thanks, I just reply to the post. But I'm certainly not opposed to adding the function. I can't imagine that having it there will offend anyone. Hopefully you don't end up with requests for plugins for No Thanks, and Dislike, and ...

#14 ·
Reactions: JohnnyRS
#18 ·
Greenlight - we're good to go! :) Stay posted for when this is complete - thanks for your patience! :) Cheers, Natalie
Like - and thank you! :smile2:

#20 ·
Thank you again, folks @ Admin!

#23 ·
While I greatly appreciate your feelings on this, and share them to a certain degree, one of my great annoyances is doing an internet search about a subject and the only posts to be found that ask the question I am asking has a single response from someone telling them to use the search and subsequent searches turn up nothing that helps.

#24 ·
It's been my experience that if Google can't find it, then either it doesn't exist, or I need to modify the search terms to try different wording. Regional spelling differences, such as tyres vs tires, don't matter, but more esoteric stuff might require a different description of what I'm looking for. More specificity helps.

I'm not sure what search engine this forum uses, but I usually prefer Google to built-in forum tools. If, for example, I want to look specifically for Michelin tires on this forum, I add that to the Google search, as in "michelin tires site:r1200rforum.com".

#28 ·
maybe a notice for new users to remind them to search before they post new threads?
I'm not sure if this is possible.... but it seems like it is. What do you think?
lee
The Forum search will give a new member results, no doubt about it.
But let's be honest... We all are a little lazy and probably can't be bothered reading all the posts.
It's just so funny, when somebody (usually the newer members) post another "Tyre comparison", "which oil" "what screen" or "the best exhaust" thread.

I always try to help, as I also received good advice from other on here.
But I used the search first and contacted some of the guys by PM.

#29 ·
#37 ·
I've been away so only just picked-up on this topic. The inclusion in one's avatar does make that area a bit cluttered, but it's hardly a big deal. I simply re-state my appreciation that the 'Thanks' auto response was so quickly added, as it's a useful new feature.:eek:

#40 ·
I don't see how it could be done, but the inclusion of a member's specific bike and geographic location would so often be very useful, and remove a bit of frustration at times when hoping to be able to respond meaningfully. Yes, yes - I know it's up to members to include that info - if they so wish - in their signature line, but many do not.:001_rolleyes:

Reactions: Svaha!Dean
#41 ·
I'm happy to leave that stuff in the signature block, LoS - otherwise it can be repetitive, because some of us like to include farkles, whichis an invitation to other members to seek advice on how well they work, etc.

Both require 'user input' and for those who don't include it, being asked where they are or what bike they ride enough times might be enough to encourage them to do so. Maybe some just like being asked ... :smile2:

#44 ·
I think this would be useful/ helpful in trying to answer questions or proffer advice when asked/ interesting, but the issue might be how to keep it up-to-date. I wouldn't of course, but many do chop and change bikes like they change their underwear (hopefully)...:closedeyes:

Reactions: Panzermann
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.