BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening gents. Yorkshire 12R newbie signing in.

After years of sportsbikes, i just thought I'd try something a bit different and more comfortable. I bagged myself a 2013 90th anniversary special edition and have to say i absolutely love it. What a capable and bloody comfortable bike...

I bought a Wunderlich high seat and it has transformed the bike. Just feels like a 1200cc supermoto now ! All day riding will be comfortable on the old arsebones now i reckon !

The only thing that lets it down is the perennial fuel strip issue... Does the piezo trick really work ? Or can they be converted to a float sender at all ?

Great site. Pleased to be here.
Adam 馃憤

Registered
Noice! The 90th Anni is probably my favourite R, along with the classic Classic - and I've had a few..

Reactions: Banzai

Registered
Welcome Bazai! I am sure the 12R feels like a recliner coming from sport bikes. Nice looking specimen you have there indeed.

BMW's answer to the fuel strip somewhere in 2013 was to simply remove it going forward, so no fuel level, only reserve warning. Since the dash display is no longer symmetric (since when did BMW care) without the fuel level bars, they decided the temperature bars also have to go.

Luckily I have had a few cam heads myself and know that overheating is not a problem on these fine bikes.

Good luck with fuel strip and ride safe.

Freddie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly does feel like a recliner Freddie 馃槀 I'm a die-hard oldskool Suzuki nut in all honesty.. I have a blowthrough turbo Kat, a blowthrough turbo Slingshot, and a drawthrough turbo ET thing.. But none are any good for touring. I couldn't afford the fuel bill for one.. So I'm really looking forward to doing some big miles on the Panzer !!!!

My first decent trip will be the north coast 500 in Scotland. The NC500 as it's known. Beautiful scenery. The 12R is perfect for it i reckon.

Registered
That is for certain, you will be pleasantly surprised with the 12R's fuel bill.

My first Suzuki was a RG50 at age 16 and it won my heart over. I had the Yamaha DT50 as well as Honda MTX50 and they could not compare. On my way to school there was this hill and the test for the 50cc bikes were whether they could maintain 60km/h up hill. The Suzuki would actually gain speed, Yamaha would maintain and the Honda slowed down.

You sure have a nice selection of Turbo motorcycles, feel free to share some pics. ;)
I know from the older Suzuki and Kawasaki bikes, they were a favorite for adding a Turbo especially with them having roller bearing cranks.

Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
Welcome , Banzai. 馃憤 A real beauty you have there.

My fuel strip failed again recently. (I can see from the old receipts given to me that a previous owner had fuel strip problems almost from day 1 after he bought the bike).

Fuel gauge went to empty. Yellow fuel light on. Interestingly this happened aday after I ran out of petrol and filled the tank with 5L.

Two hundred squids ! ! to repair at Norwich Motorrad. And only a two year warranty. No way gonna do that yet. Maybe if I sell the bike.

Tried the piezo trick and fuel gauge went up to full (tank was half full). Yellow low fuel light went off. Fuel gauge stays on full all the time now. So still not working but looks nice 馃槵

Not seen a float conversion that works, but my local bike garage ( ex-Police BMW mechanic) told me there might be one soon as a Dutch guy has a 95% working system but is finding the electronic interface difficult to resolve.

Might try again zapping the connector below the seat another day .

Suzuki make (and made) excellent bikes, and I've been riding a low miles original and black unmolested 1999 N1200 Mk1 for a few years. Very reliable. Bomb proof engine and gearbox. Fairly easy to service and maintain. Love that bike. But lust after a low miles GSX1400. Got to be all black though with original and sensible size twin exhausts. Not with white wheels.

Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
Welcome to the forum Adam. (y)

Dave in NE TN
The fuel strip is a perennial issue but IMO not a major one. The hex & cam head R12Rs have good fuel mileage and nice big tanks, my '09 would run 240 miles to empty so I'd reset my trip meter at fill up then start looking again around 200 miles, worked for me.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: SteveJH

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks lads.

This is one of my 3 fun whistle Suzukis Steve. The oilcooled Suzuki engine family is the best motorcycle engine ever designed in my opinion. For a dozen reasons. All my turbo bikes run them. And have done forever.. This particular one has run 400hp, by accident ! The wastegate stuck shut...! Escaped unscathed. My Katana however was built for 400hp. My drawthrough ET thing much less at 230/240 ish.

Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
Thanks lads.

This is one of my 3 fun whistle Suzukis Steve. The oilcooled Suzuki engine family is the best motorcycle engine ever designed in my opinion. For a dozen reasons. All my turbo bikes run them. And have done forever.. This particular one has run 400hp, by accident ! The wastegate stuck shut...! Escaped unscathed. My Katana however was built for 400hp. My drawthrough ET thing much less at 230/240 ish. View attachment 111813
Jeez. That is a beast. Nice photo (y) . Looks like an air/oil cooled Mk1 1200 engine in there so0mewhere ?? Same black side cover and finning as mine.

Relieved to see black wheels though, as after I posted my comment above I realised many special Suzies have white wheels and thought I might have offended. Are you on the Suziki Bandit Forum by any chance? Do you know Fatblokeonabnadit?

I frightened myself a few days ago on a small winding A-road. Overtook a scoot a 55mph, grabbed a handful of throttle and almost hit *** mph in an instant. Generally I keep the bike to around 4000rpm max (getting old mate)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a GSXR1100L engine Steve. The bandits were a detuned later version of these. There are a few internal differences but they're very similar. The bandits are about 20hp down on Slingshots and less peaky.

I'm not on any bandit pages but i know exactly who you mean. I'm not on it any more but i was on oldskoolsuzuki.info before it was even oldskoolsuzuki.info ! When it was still robbynitroz.nl !!!!!!!!!! From day 1. Fatblokeonbandit was an original too.

Premium Member
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I've learnt to live with the fuel warning sign. Mine failed 7 years ago and as reports said the replacement was likely to fail as well I couldn't justify the cost. The R has more than enough performance, remember it's how you ride rather than what you ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Dave. It's a great bike for sure. I didn't buy it for performance. No offence intended but they're **** slow at the side of other stuff. And that's perfectly fine by me. I just wanted a comfy touring bus and they fulfill that role absolutely succinctly 馃憣

Registered
R1200R LC 2017
Evening gents. Yorkshire 12R newbie signing in.

After years of sportsbikes, i just thought I'd try something a bit different and more comfortable. I bagged myself a 2013 90th anniversary special edition and have to say i absolutely love it. What a capable and bloody comfortable bike...

I bought a Wunderlich high seat and it has transformed the bike. Just feels like a 1200cc supermoto now ! All day riding will be comfortable on the old arsebones now i reckon !

The only thing that lets it down is the perennial fuel strip issue... Does the piezo trick really work ? Or can they be converted to a float sender at all ?

Great site. Pleased to be here.
Adam 馃憤 View attachment 111793
Are you sure you have a fuel strip?
If so check out this link, apparently it can be converted into a floater.

Registered
Yay, another Brit, welcome Adam to wonderful world of comfortable ahem sensible 1200R motorcycling..... although I can see 'sensible' doesn't come into it! hehehehehe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Drew 馃憤

Erwin.....in all honesty i have no idea. Just rolling with the jist of what I've read so far. I've only had the bike a week or so and haven't started removing stuff to have a look as yet. Is the float mod applicable to our 1200R or just for the 1200GS though ?

Registered
Absolutely no idea, bought a R1200RLC last year to replace a KTM 690Duke (front wheel would not stay on the friggin road.... grrrr), because, the KTM had to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden, ever, probably something to do with age, reduction of bum muscles and various levels of wimpisms.... My first BMW twin, the entire thing is a mystery to me. Do you get that surge of anxiety when your fast over in a corner and your brain starts thinking 'is that rocker cover near the road'? Not used to bikes where bits 'stick out'..... If anyone can answer the float issue it would be people on here, it is most probably already covered somewhere on this forum.... Cheers!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have that unnerving feeling every time Drew ! 馃槼馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Erwin......can you shed any light on this mate ?

Just spoken to a dealer and gave them my reg. It is a fuel strip model.. 馃う馃徑鈥嶁檧锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檧锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檧锔忦煠︷煆解嶁檧锔

Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
Off topic but might be of interest. My Bandit is the black one. East of Norwich at Reedham Ferry waiting for the chain ferry. The other Bandit is at Two Wheel Tuesday at Old Buckenham, Norfolk. Anyone on here go to TWT?

Attachments

Reactions: DrewRoo
1 - 20 of 48 Posts