BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quite sure a mate of mine built the turbo kit on that bandit Steve. Bloke called Pete Field. Not his bike but one of his kits.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
Quite sure a mate of mine built the turbo kit on that bandit Steve. Bloke called Pete Field. Not his bike but one of his kits.
I've seen that bike around a fair bit in Norfolk and Suffolk (or did before Covid). He takes it to shows and displays. Looks nice imho.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Which wire under the seat are you (we) gonna zap Steve ? 😂

I need to do something... This gauge is annoying the piss outta me already 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️😂

I'm just wading through the 1200GS float sender conversion now to see how feasible it is to run it on ours... Lot to take in..

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
I have that unnerving feeling every time Drew ! 😳🤣🤣🤣🤣

Erwin......can you shed any light on this mate ?

Just spoken to a dealer and gave them my reg. It is a fuel strip model.. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
Sorry but i really don’t know if it is the same floater. But perhaps you can compare both part numbers through the REALOEM website?

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
Which wire under the seat are you (we) gonna zap Steve ? 😂

I need to do something... This gauge is annoying the piss outta me already 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️😂

I'm just wading through the 1200GS float sender conversion now to see how feasible it is to run it on ours... Lot to take in..
Another kind forum member put up some advice recently.

I followed it and the result you know.

Happy to help but you probably live days away (at the speed I ride).

This is a much discussed problem on this forum . Just enter "fuel strip" in the search bar. This fix may or may not work for you, but please let us know the outcome.

And I agree, it irritated the hell out of me to start with but used to it now.

Just more unreliable BMW Motorrad hardware. Just wait until you read about the problems with the 1250 bikes. Based on what I have read on this forum, BMW Motorrad have an ongoing severe quality control problem. Long term I suggest. Since they stopped making the air-heads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll have a read mate. Thesedays I'm a mechanical fitter on everything from wind turbines and power stations to robotic production lines at the likes of the aforementioned BMW and the ilk. Unfortunately the quality control issue is absolutely without exception - industry wide.. And not isolated to BMW. Regrettably, it's just the motion of the ocean thesedays. Every industry is the same now. The mind boggles.

In a previous life i was a dealership bike tech for donkeys years so i should be ok i reckon. I'll fish out a wiring diagram and see where the sender/strip wires pop out. I'll see how i get on with a piezo zapping and failling that, I'll take the plunge with the float sender mod if it'll talk to the 12R clocks...

Yer welcome for a brew, a natter and to be a second pair of eyes on the job though Steve, anytime. Where abouts are you ?

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
I'll have a read mate. Thesedays I'm a mechanical fitter on everything from wind turbines and power stations to robotic production lines at the likes of the aforementioned BMW and the ilk. Unfortunately the quality control issue is absolutely without exception - industry wide.. And not isolated to BMW. Regrettably, it's just the motion of the ocean thesedays. Every industry is the same now. The mind boggles.

In a previous life i was a dealership bike tech for donkeys years so i should be ok i reckon. I'll fish out a wiring diagram and see where the sender/strip wires pop out. I'll see how i get on with a piezo zapping and failling that, I'll take the plunge with the float sender mod if it'll talk to the 12R clocks...

Yer welcome for a brew, a natter and to be a second pair of eyes on the job though Steve, anytime. Where abouts are you ?
Thank you. Bikes are my main hobby and very interesting especially at the simpler end of their maintenance. I live in "Norwich". Never give my town name publically as there are too many scum-bag bike thieves around who browse the pages of the bike forums for an easy mark. Not much of a tech but I can read a manual. Retired now but worked offshore for 6 months every year all my life. Last 8 years work was mainly on the pre/during/post build of North Sea windfarms, and pre-installation route surveys of deep water long-distance HVDC power cables. I will drop you a forum email which is called a Conversation.

Reactions: JPC IRL

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
Just took a couple of pics of said connector. I took the plastics off to be sure, but you could zap that plug/socket easily.

Just wish I knew what was going on at zapping, as worry that the CANBus system could be fried. But all was okay afterwards. Apart from fuel gauge dumb and on full. 🤔

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
I like an air cooled Suzuki as well, had this for 13 years.
View attachment 111823
Very very pretty indeed. And a handsome Suzuki (?) oval single exhaust. 👍👍

How much time each year did (do) you spend on those 6 pot calipers? Have you still got the bike?

·
Registered
128 Posts
While we are moving to the subject of air cooled Suzuki motorcycles, I am almost done with restoring a 1979 GS550E that I inherited from my late father in law. He bought it new a 1979, took it apart in 1995 and then life happened.

What I started with.

Almost done, spray painting left and a few small things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Lovely bikes the 14s' Mick. Seamless torque. Yours is smart 👌

And a great job on that 550 Juba. Be a nice thing to keep forever. You're right about the perfect number of bikes...😂 I'm currently on 7 and I've thinned down ! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
Which wires are we zapping Steve ? All of em ? 😂😂😂😂
That link in my earlier post, scroll through to find message from Dopo_Spain, is the one to follow.

Fuel strip problem

Here is a copy of his message. It is the cylindrical/round connector, arrowed and labled 1, in the diagram.You can see it under the left side panel in my photos. It is all quite bonkers though.

----------------------------------------------------------Dopo_spain message start
Hello everyone (and sorry for my english)

As the current owner of a 2011 R1200R and having owned a 2008 RT, I have had to repair the fuel strip several times. I think this post in the Spanish BMW forum may be interesting for you. It explains how to revive the fuel strip using a simple piezoelectric kitchen lighter (Maybe € 3?). It seems crazy, but it works !!

Also in the case of the R1200R, it is not necessary to disassemble anything (neither tank nor fairing), simply give 15 or 20 clicks on the pin of the round-shaped connector "1" in the image.

In order not to waste time, you have all the interesting information from page 6 of the post.

Greetings from Madrid!

------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,763 Posts
Very very pretty indeed. And a handsome Suzuki (?) oval single exhaust. 👍👍

How much time each year did (do) you spend on those 6 pot calipers? Have you still got the bike?
Yes, it's got a Beowulf titanium oval can.
I don't spend any time with the callipers apart from giving them a good clean every couple of years, they've never been stripped. They work fine.
Yes I still have the bike.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
174 Posts
Yes, it's got a Beowulf titanium oval can.
I don't spend any time with the callipers apart from giving them a good clean every couple of years, they've never been stripped. They work fine.
Yes I still have the bike.

View attachment 111839
Very nice. Very very nice. You have really looked after that bike. 👍

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
59 Posts
Evening gents. Yorkshire 12R newbie signing in.

After years of sportsbikes, i just thought I'd try something a bit different and more comfortable. I bagged myself a 2013 90th anniversary special edition and have to say i absolutely love it. What a capable and bloody comfortable bike...

I bought a Wunderlich high seat and it has transformed the bike. Just feels like a 1200cc supermoto now ! All day riding will be comfortable on the old arsebones now i reckon !

The only thing that lets it down is the perennial fuel strip issue... Does the piezo trick really work ? Or can they be converted to a float sender at all ?

Great site. Pleased to be here.
Adam 👍 View attachment 111793
It's taken us all a while to realize or find out what a cracking machine these are.
The more you ride them the more you realize how good a machine it is.
And a savage motor!
Marketing would have us believe it's all about the horse's.
No!
It's how they arrive and where can you use them.
Enjoy!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts