BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R Pollux Metallic Matte
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Lamin-X on my GS and thought it was a good product. Relatively cheap peace of mind. Protector is a thick, clear film and installation on the GS was easy. There were a few bubbles that disappeared over time so it was virtually invisible.

I bought one for my 1250R and tried to install this weekend. Unfortunately, the convex headlight resisted my attempts to install the protector. The top looks good but the bottom isn't attractive and I don't see how the wrinkles will work themselves out.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Fluid

The film is flat and it bunched up at the bottom. I used a bit of water per the instructions but the problem is just too much material. I debated about using some heat but was concerned that it might affect the warranty or a refund. Luckily, the film peels back off pretty easily without any residue. I've reached out to Lamin-X to see if they have any installation recommendations for the 1250R or will be willing to refund if wrinkles are inevitable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Lamin-X replied quickly but essentially said that installation on a curved surface is difficult and maybe I should consider a professional installer. They offered a discount on a replacement or alternative "universal" product or would accept a return, minus shipping and a restock fee. I suggested that a bike-specific product should either fit the bike or have detailed instructions for how to make it fit.

Since I don't plan to buy a replacement or return for a partial refund, I'll do my best to make it work and will try to share my fitment process if successful. It's a decent headlight guard for the money. Just a shame that they haven't put more into the installation part of the product.

Is anyone here experience with car film? Will a little heat shrink the film or make it stretch?

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
Did you consider scoring the protector down the middle bottom portion? Might be easier to apply on a curved surface.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you consider scoring the protector down the middle bottom portion? Might be easier to apply on a curved surface.
Yes, that's one option, but the film has a pretty sticky adhesive so I don't want to overlap or I'll never get it apart. I could try removing a thin wedge and then pull the two sides together but I'm SOL if I cut the wrong size wedge.

I wondered if the film might contract under a gentle heat gun. That's where I'm hoping someone here has experience.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hmmm, I doubt it, but you may try to just leave the headlight turned on high beam for several minutes, and see if you can work the film, that is if you have halogen bulbs. Just have the engine running at that time, not to kill the battery.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is anyone here experience with car film? Will a little heat shrink the film or make it stretch?
Any film applied to a complex shape like your headlight will require heat and stretch.
I tried it once on a shape that curved both directions and it was beyond my skill.
I watched a couple videos first and I still could not do it :)

I have Lamin-X on our R1200RS headlights and plan to use it when we get new R1250RSs.

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any film applied to a complex shape like your headlight will require heat and stretch.
I tried it once on a shape that curved both directions and it was beyond my skill.
I watched a couple videos first and I still could not do it :)

I have Lamin-X on our R1200RS headlights and plan to use it when we get new R1250RSs.
Would you mind posting a photo, if it is visible at all. I’m curious to see how it looks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Would you mind posting a photo, if it is visible at all. I’m curious to see how it looks.
It's difficult to see, which is a plus for me.
If you look closely you can see the edge of the film.
It's a thin film that protects against sand pitting and UV damage.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Reactions: fireman

·
Registered
213 Posts
You absolutely need a heat gun to make that film fit... and a pro doing it :). Oh, and with halogen bulbs and a glass enclosure, I wouldn't use any such films, but maybe it's not that detrimental. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and with halogen bulbs and a glass enclosure, I wouldn't use any such films
Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like you've dealt with this before. I already have the film so I might as well try to make it fit. I'm also pretty patient and have two heat guns. Pew pew.

What kind of issues have you experienced installing film onto a glass enclosure with halogen bulbs?

·
Registered
213 Posts
None, because Porsche would void any warranty on headlight components, even though mine had optional HIDs, rather than the standard halogen bulbs (back in 2016)... but since it was the same enclosure, Porsche still objected to that. There must be a reason for them to warn about that, so just wanted to mention it. My main concern, however, would be if you use aftermarket bulbs, like the Diamond Vision I just installed yesterday on my bike, since they'd probably last even less than their already shortened life by virtue of having a coating over them. And you you're adding another 'coating' to the headlight lens. Ha ha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts