BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 12K mile service done on Friday. It was not cheap but I don't have the time (or skills/tools) to perform my own service. I service it where I bought it and they always give me a 10% discount. For this service that amounted to $60 odd dollars. I also get loaner bikes of choice for two days which is a nice perk.

I've attached my bill for review.

How does this compare to other's 12K mile service costs?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Looks like the standard BMW labor & parts prices. (EXPENSIVE!)
Just 1 point. I have carefully taken the valve covers off numerous times without tearing the thick gasket so that it had to be replaced. Noticed they charged you $82.88 for the gasket set kit. My dealer has not charged for the gasket set yet after 4 service checks. Probably not absolutely necessary at 12000 miles if one takes their time in disassembly. Sometimes they get years old and become brittle and crack. Other times they get hot, baked, and stick to the metal. Sometimes you can pinch them out of shape and break them by poor alignment & hurried reassembly. They can be crushed by too much torque on the cover bolts, but not likely by a dealer with a torque wrench. This is only the second or third time the covers have been removed, unless you were playing around with them. The shop mechanic probably did the initial 600 check-up. Just sayin'.
BUT, to be fair, they gave you a fair discount AND a great loner bike, so one can't really complain too much. It's a small point, and rubber gaskets are within a dealer's discretion.
These are fantastic bikes, and customer-dealer relations are more valuable than a gasket kit. You have one good looking matte Roadster. Still love your screen! Beautiful. Nice post.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the standard BMW labor & parts prices. (EXPENSIVE!)
Just 1 point. I have carefully taken the valve covers off numerous times without tearing the thick gasket so that it had to be replaced. Noticed they charged you $82.88 for the gasket set kit. My dealer has not charged for the gasket set yet after 4 service checks. Probably not absolutely necessary at 12000 miles if one takes their time in disassembly. Sometimes they get years old and become brittle and crack. Other times they get hot, baked, and stick to the metal. Sometimes you can pinch them out of shape and break them by poor alignment & hurried reassembly. They can be crushed by too much torque on the cover bolts, but not likely by a dealer with a torque wrench. This is only the second or third time the covers have been removed, unless you were playing around with them. The shop mechanic probably did the initial 600 check-up. Just sayin'.
BUT, to be fair, they gave you a fair discount AND a great loner bike, so one can't really complain too much. It's a small point, and rubber gaskets are within a dealer's discretion.
These are fantastic bikes, and customer-dealer relations are more valuable than a gasket kit. You have one good looking matte Roadster. Still love your screen! Beautiful. Nice post.
Hey Clem,

Thanks for the heads up on the head gasket kit. I had no idea. I'll simply pass that along in the form of a question as the service manager is very cool. I know for my 6K miles service they didn't need new gaskets as they checked my valves then as well.

When I purchased my bike there I asked them to install my fuse block, horn, Skene rear lights, cylinder head protectors, frame sliders and my fog lamps. They estimated 3.5 hours for the lot and quoted me based on that. It ended up being 4.75 hours and they kept it at the quoted price. As youi mentioned, that along with the loaners of choice and the 10% service discount it is not cheap but it is reasonable. I always call around for the cost of service to make sure their prices are competitive and they have always been compared to the two other BMW dealers within reasonable distance.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What are all those "gasket rings?" I assume the $82 is for two of the thick black plastic cylinder head gaskets, but what are the others?

While I think it's important that these services be done in a timely fashion and competently, esp the first few and while under warranty, this shows why many owners do as much of their own work as possible.

You can do all of that as one of the attributes of these bikes is that they are user friendly in the routine maintenance dept, and all of those parts are ava a discounted prices.

I don't see part of the 12k service called the "brake bleed test," though I see brake fluid. Did they just have to add or did they do a fluid flush and exchange?

I am curious because the prev owner of my bike told me the 12k service was done, but wasn't. I've pretty much caught up with everything, so your itemized bill is of interest. And thanks for posting it.

Is that $352 for labor?

John

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Sounds very standard price, actually about the same price as in New Zealand.
The last time I had a service done, they whipped out my new-ish iridium spark plugs and replaced them with new bog standard ones. I didn't think till a couple of days later I should have asked for them back.
I guess they just go by the book in what they have to do.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Service histories...

I believe that if someone is contemplating buying a used BMW bike its service history through all previous owners can be determined by a BMW dealership and made available to the would-be buyer.

This could save a lotta headaches afterwards.

L of S

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are all those "gasket rings?" I assume the $82 is for two of the thick black plastic cylinder head gaskets, but what are the others?

While I think it's important that these services be done in a timely fashion and competently, esp the first few and while under warranty, this shows why many owners do as much of their own work as possible.

You can do all of that as one of the attributes of these bikes is that they are user friendly in the routine maintenance dept, and all of those parts are ava a discounted prices.

I don't see part of the 12k service called the "brake bleed test," though I see brake fluid. Did they just have to add or did they do a fluid flush and exchange?

I am curious because the prev owner of my bike told me the 12k service was done, but wasn't. I've pretty much caught up with everything, so your itemized bill is of interest. And thanks for posting it.

Is that $352 for labor?

John
Yes, it is $352 for labour. Their hourly rate is $95/hr so about 3.5 hours.
I'm not sure if they did a brake bleed test. I could definitely find out.
I posted both to compare to others and to allow others to see what is coming their way if they've not hit 12K miles yet :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that if someone is contemplating buying a used BMW bike its service history through all previous owners can be determined by a BMW dealership and made available to the would-be buyer.

This could save a lotta headaches afterwards.

L of S
I always keep every repair/maintenance bill for both my cars and bikes and pass them along to buyers so they can see exactly what has been done to the vehicle/bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd ask why the tech changed the valve cover gaskets after only 12,000 miles. That's not on the 12K service list on the hexheads, but perhaps that has changed on the camheads. The timing seems premature. They are robust components, hence the $80 price.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Me, too....

Just brought it home today (50 miles in pouring rain) after the 12k/Annual service. Did you know there's a difference between 12k and 12k/Annual service? I'd do all of this myself except that special tools are required for some of it. Or so they say. Anyway...

$461.30. But that did not include oil and filter as I'd done those myself, did include spark plugs, tranny oil, rear end oil, valve adjust, brake bleed and test. Everything on the 12k/annual list. 8 hours labor. No gaskets.

Anyhow, this is the second mechanic who has told me not to use K&N oil filters. Not because they are bad filters, but because of two things... BMW is apparently a real ass wipe when it comes to voiding warranties and they will use aftermarket oil filters as an excuse. Second, the bolt head on the bottom apparently tempts shade tree mechanics to wrench it on so tight that it has to be blasted off.

end of saga.

Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me, too....

Just brought it home today (50 miles in pouring rain) after the 12k/Annual service. Did you know there's a difference between 12k and 12k/Annual service? I'd do all of this myself except that special tools are required for some of it. Or so they say. Anyway...

$461.30. But that did not include oil and filter as I'd done those myself, did include spark plugs, tranny oil, rear end oil, valve adjust, brake bleed and test. Everything on the 12k/annual list. 8 hours labor. No gaskets.

Anyhow, this is the second mechanic who has told me not to use K&N oil filters. Not because they are bad filters, but because of two things... BMW is apparently a real ass wipe when it comes to voiding warranties and they will use aftermarket oil filters as an excuse. Second, the bolt head on the bottom apparently tempts shade tree mechanics to wrench it on so tight that it has to be blasted off.

end of saga.

Bob
8 hours labour? That seems a lot of time and all the other service goodies for only $460 odd? This is obviously not a BMW dealer. Good for you though.

I ride about 12K miles a year. I think the annual service is only if you're not riding much or not getting your services done within a year.

·
Registered
800 Posts
8 hours labour? That seems a lot of time and all the other service goodies for only $460 odd? This is obviously not a BMW dealer. Good for you though.

I ride about 12K miles a year. I think the annual service is only if you're not riding much or not getting your services done within a year.
I think I misread the invoice. i'm pretty sure the labor is divided into eight 1/2 hour increments at about $72 per hour. This is an independent shop owned and operated by a BMW Certified Master Mechanic. You run about the same miles I do, as I bought mine May 5 2012.

Attached are a couple of Tom's restored bikes on display at the Riding Into History concours in St. Augustine recently...

bob

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re service history. All you need is the VIN, the last 7 actually, and any BMW dealer can pull up the service history of work done in a BMW shop. Do not rely on what the seller tells you. I asked the owner of my Blanche who assured me the 12k service was done. It wasn't.

That should be part on any investigation of a used bike. Now, if the owner did his own work it would not be listed there, but usually BMW owners are anal enough that they keep a record.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just paid 3 hundee. No oil, trans or FD change. New air filter brake fluid bleed front and back. 1.47 hr. Also picked up bmw valve caps and external cigarette lighter type charger. The guys I take it too are excellent. I'm buying my next bike from them! K 1600GT. Next year !

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I had my 12K mile service done on Friday. It was not cheap but I don't have the time (or skills/tools) to perform my own service. I service it where I bought it and they always give me a 10% discount. For this service that amounted to $60 odd dollars. I also get loaner bikes of choice for two days which is a nice perk.

I've attached my bill for review.

How does this compare to other's 12K mile service costs?
Getting ready to my 12k service... everything I looked up seems to match the list of things done.. the only thing I will not do is the break fluid.. they did that for my 6k service (and I sat there and watched them do it too..which was fun).
This time I am doing most of it at home, with the help of a friends who is a BMW certified technician... only thing I can't do here will be the throttle body sync.
When I went to buy all the stuff for the 12k service I found it interesting that A&S cycles (I think?) included a timing belt for the 12k service. I asked two different BMW dealers and they both agreed that it wasn't necessary to do that yet (I think they both agreed to wait until the 24k service).

I am hoping that from now on I can do at least my own oil changes, and other basic stuff (besides where I need 'fancy' tools that are not worth the investment for me currently).. I have been wanting to do it on my own, but since I still didn't get any decent tools nor had I done it ever before on a motorcycle, I am glad my friend has time to guide me through it.. rather have a professional help me and guide me and let me use their tools before I tackle it on my own.. it should also help me to get the basic tools I need for this without overbuying tools (I tend to go wild when I buy tools.. and I am trying to save some money and not end up with a garage full of tools I might never use..ha!).

Anyways, today is Athena's big day for her 12k service here at home.. I hope she likes the home doctor treatment :)

I will then make an appointment with BMW to get the throttle bodies synced and hooked up to the computer to reset the service warning.

And then this weekend I am going for a nice long trip ...

I recently had a small oil leak, had to go to the dealer I don't like at all anymore because it was the closest dealer around when I discovered the leak (they lost all their good technicians, because they treated them like crap, and the current technician -the only one they have- is definitely experienced, but has put stains on my bikes valve cover and a plastic hose I can't get rid off anymore, and has also done a few other things, that made me not ever want to go there again).. I did call another dealer to find out what they thought it was..just in case... and sure enough it was what they thought..the screw attaching the camshaft on the left side was lose and/or needed a new washer... stupid little crap like that makes me mad... apparently both bmw dealers have seen that on occasions with the R... obviously no charge... the 5 minutes or so it took them to fix it was on warranty...

else no problems with my R (she is now a little over a year old)... the software issue that was zeroing out my trip meters has been fixed earlier this year.. still love this bike (well I fall more and more in love with it) :001_tt1: ..the only thing I don't like about this bike is the windshield (tall bmw bracket) ..tried the tall bmw shield and the Cee baileys 19" one.. both create different types of incredibly annoying buffeting. Stupid windshield bracket from bmw is not adjustable as we all know (I hope they change that with the 2015 model!).. and I am done spending money on it.. I did win at a rally a wunderlich wind deflector.. it helps some.. but only with the bmw tall shield.. too high for me on the cee-baileys.. for now I am accepting the annoying buffeting (it is more bearable with the wunderlich wind-deflector now)... next year I will look into another solution.

anyways, having a lot of fun with the bike, I took the total control class (level 1) and was the only one (also only woman and only one on a BMW) who ended up dragging the knee and foot pegs (at some point I apparently managed to drag my rear break pedal... not happy about that.. )... and I am glad to know that the foot pegs are going to scrape before my engine guards.. wohoooo.. and I looooved dragging my knee and foot pegs (have dragged footpegs once or twice before on the road).. and I have to admit, I did love showing off :donatello: ..especially since there were two sportier bikes there (a ducati and a suzuki r) than mine..and everybody had way more years experience riding than I did and had already been to a track day a few times!! :001_tt2:
Total control class was my favorite so far.. the most fun I had in any class.. it was worth every dollar... I also learned a lot from it besides having a blast!:clap:

will post some pics (sadly none taken when I dragged my knee) later

·
Registered
372 Posts
Me, too....

end of saga.

Bob
In the US the dealer/mfg must prove that the failure was caused by the after market part for them to void the warrenty. Don't know how they can do that for simply using a K&N filter.

Which dealer in FL told you this?

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whenever a six thousands times X service or an annual service is done, make sure to ask the mechanic to reset the BMW service reminder. If you do any of your own work, they may charge you if you take it in to just reset the light.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Whenever a six thousands times X service or an annual service is done, make sure to ask the mechanic to reset the BMW service reminder. If you do any of your own work, they may charge you if you take it in to just reset the light.
thanks for the advice.. I do need the throttle body sync as well, so they won't charge me for resetting the service reminder. It takes them apparently an hour to do the throttle sync..which costs 97$ (97$ for them to basically hook it up to a computer....crazy...the throttle bodies better need the sync! at least that way I feel like I paid for something to be done!) .. I am surprised it even takes an hour.. oh well..it is the one thing I do need them to do though..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts