BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post on here. I live down in Auckland, New Zealand and never, ever, thought I'd be a Boxer owner! I've always had Jap bikes, but got sick of working on my old 1980 GS 1000S, so went looking for a Naked bike, homing in on testing Tuonos, Triumph Speed triples and the Beemer S1000R. I also read an Aussie guy's road test on the R1250R (Boris Mikhailovich for Aussies on here) and he raved about the 1250R, so I added it to the list. First ride tootling in the city, and I wasn't impressed. Easy to maneuver, and good fueling at low revs, but nothing outstanding. Get on the open road, twist the wrist, and Holy Flock!! A very different animal! In the end, the nicest bikes to ride were the Speed triple and surprise surprise, the 1250R. The S1000R left me cold. Super smooth and no personality. The speed triple appealed to my inner hooligan and I loved it, but comfort on a longer trip? The 1250 won the day and was surprisingly agile in the twisties. What really sold it to me was the torque. OMG! twist that throttle and seriously hold on!

Downsides? That damn ugly exhaust. What a pig! The rear tyre also needed a guard and the tail needed tidying up. I also found an amazing company called Ilmberger Carbon. If you want to get rid of money fast, have a look at their site. Ilmberger Carbonparts Quality is second to none. I am still waiting for some carbon cylinder head covers and carbon side scoop things.. Next was the Akropovic can. It looks so much better than original, but is still a bit quiet for my liking.. Then it was a rear guard (hugger) from Puig and a tail tidy and radiator guard from Evotech. The tail tidy was probably the fiddliest to fit, but no biggie. I will be tempted in the future to ditch the cat and stock exhaust and see what we can do with the computer software.. I am happy with it all for now though, after all, same torque as a Ducati Panigale... :cool:

The other downside is that I have just found how limited the "Dynamic Pro" option is. I thought that the traction control, ABS, Wheelie control and suspension would all be adjustable so you could store custom settings.. Nope. What a rip off and total waste of time. BMW hang your head in shame. So for wheelies and hooligan efforts, it has to be All off or Dynamic. That's your lot. Not much point in having Rain TC settings with say Dynamic ABS. Really stupid and I was misled.

I have just completed 3000km around the North and South Islands and the bike is a dream to ride. I went naked, as I want to keep my license and fairings just encourage me. The naked bike sort of limits you to 120km/hr (I find) maintaining comfort, and although that's expensive if caught (limit is 100km/hr in NZ) it's not a throw away your license offense. I was touring with a couple of mates on big jap tourers. They both had a go on the 1250 and came back with massive grins! One of these guys is a long time racer and has ridden all kinds of bikes. He said it was the best road bike he has ever ridden. So far I agree with him!

I've loaded a few pics of the carbon bits and accessories. Radar detector is a must here in NZ and bluetooths to my helmet..

IMG_5121.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5106.JPG IMG_5117.JPG IMG_E5011.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5139.JPG IMG_5101.JPG

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
In Dynamic Pro, you can put the engine in Dynamic and DTC in Road, or visa versa.

·
Registered
329 Posts
On ya Smithy09 and thanks for the good writeup on yr journey to the 1250R and initial thoughts. I'm an expat Kiwi myself and also new to boxers ('16 R1200R), I know you are indeed lucky to have motorcycling Nirvanah type roads beckoning from your doorstep. Enjoy (and do your best to keep that licence intact).

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,848 Posts
Clearly impressed - bar for the adjustability of ASC/DTC. For me, I’d be happy if Dynamic ASC/DTC allowed controlled wheelies (I don’t trust myself to disengage it completely!) 😇

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clearly impressed - bar for the adjustability of ASC/DTC. For me, I’d be happy if Dynamic ASC/DTC allowed controlled wheelies (I don’t trust myself to disengage it completely!) 😇
Exactly. The bike came with all the options, it's just the model that NZ brought in, but given that Dynamic Pro is an optional extra, I expected a bit more adjustability other that what is offered. For example, at a track day, I would want to set the ABS to not very much, and set the wheelie control to stop looping and not much more. I would set the traction control to stop the rear coming around, but not huge, and I would like to play with suspension settings. Can you do any of that? Nope. It's really either turn it all off, or have it on, and that's pretty crap for this level of motorcycle! The rest of it is a blast though, and I love it to bits!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On ya Smithy09 and thanks for the good writeup on yr journey to the 1250R and initial thoughts. I'm an expat Kiwi myself and also new to boxers ('16 R1200R), I know you are indeed lucky to have motorcycling Nirvanah type roads beckoning from your doorstep. Enjoy (and do your best to keep that licence intact).
Cheers Herdygerdy. Yes the roads down the west coast were stunning, and it was the perfect bike to have for the trip.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Dynamic Pro, you can put the engine in Dynamic and DTC in Road, or visa versa.
I get it. But why would you? What is the application for this? I don't understand where BMW were going with this one...

·
5,848 Posts
I get it. But why would you? What is the application for this? I don't understand where BMW were going with this one...
I wouldn't go the way of Dougl's example, but my normal User mode is Road throttle response with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1200-LC throttle response off zero is more sensitive than the 1250 (from the test ride I took) and my SC-Project end-can has made this more so, so Dynamic throttle can be a bit touchy when on bumpy roads – a mid-corner bump can result in a lurch off-line. But I'm happy to feel the back slip a bit powering out of corners without early ASC intervention (gives me a feel for traction) so on my User setting I have Road throttle response combined with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1250's softer throttle response means I'd likely just leave the combination in the standard Dynamic setting.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum smithy09 (y) The R1200/1250 s are probably the best real world bikes on the market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice. Good comparison with the Speed Triple -- the first time I rode an R1200R (I had ridden all the previous motors) I thought the power output was very similar to my Speed. And the 1250 ups the ante.

Reactions: smithy09

·
Registered
659 Posts
....Easy to maneuver, and good fueling at low revs, but nothing outstanding. Get on the open road, twist the wrist, and Holy Flock!! A very different animal!...
Having a 1200, I almost wish I had the 1250, BUT at 5K is where I run doing twisties, so the last I want is a power boost when using high RPMs to control overall speed. Do miss it on the highway.

....Downsides? That damn ugly exhaust. What a pig! The rear tyre also needed a guard and the tail needed tidying up....
I could complain but ALL bikes that have the new emission controls have "ugly" exhausts. I find the R/RS to not be that objectionable. Some people put on these short "stubby" exhausts that just look out of place. I likewise found the rear wheel well lacking. Had to buy the EU mudguard and a Mudsling to better protect the bike from dirt/sludge throwoff from the tire as well as keep the rear shock clean.

....The other downside is that I have just found how limited the "Dynamic Pro" option is. I thought that the traction control, ABS, Wheelie control and suspension would all be adjustable so you could store custom settings.. Nope. What a rip off and total waste of time. BMW hang your head in shame. So for wheelies and hooligan efforts, it has to be All off or Dynamic. That's your lot. Not much point in having Rain TC settings with say Dynamic ABS. Really stupid and I was misled.
It's all about how dedicated you are to turning off features. The "User" mode lets you customize to what degree your bike responds, but things like traction control and ABS (IIRC) have a way to disable, but it must be done when you power on and resets to default when you shut off the bike (to keep someone from disabling ABS and traction control permanently and forgetting to turn it back on. I suppose this is more to prevent BMW from being sued for a safety feature remaining off when it was needed because the idiot riding turned it off and forgot to turn it back on. It's kind of like how the POWER mode on my Prius does not stay on when you shut the car off...it's not intended to be a default mode, but ECO mode remains on if you had it selected.

I have just completed 3000km around the North and South Islands and the bike is a dream to ride....The naked bike sort of limits you to 120km/hr (I find) maintaining comfort, and although that's expensive if caught (limit is 100km/hr in NZ) it's not a throw away your license offense....
I got the RS for the fairings BECAUSE I do enough long-distance touring to want that protection. Even then, pushing over 70 mph (112 kph) is problematic. For perspective, I lived in Wyoming for a few years. Get hit at 70 mph with a strong crosswind, and you'll be pushed off the highway before you know it...so I learned to be careful once I hit that speed. In Texas, I was able to hold 90 mph comfortably, but honestly, once I'm hitting triple digits (100 mph+) I'm uncomfortable as I know I have very little time to react to last minute obstacles (wildlife).

Reactions: smithy09

·
Registered
212 Posts
I really like the Carbon tank center and front fender. I've been waiting since spring for ilmberger to take my money on the rear hugger I ordered. I always loved riding the older boxer Rs, so I ended up buying my 1250 without a test ride, and I was petty happy to discover the all new top end hit. Have to agree that if BMW wants to enjoy super premium price levels they really ought to provide super premium adjustability in return.

·
Registered
R1250R
345 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your new bike smithy09.

I also kind of came to the R1250R accidently. I’d been running a 2004 FZS1000 for many years, but I figured it was time for a new bike.

So, I decided to try the new CB1000R and the MT10. CB1000R though quick etc etc, was somehow boring. The MT10 was lots of fun, very quick indeed, but it kept hoisting its front wheel in the air – I mean all the time. Then there is its thirst and subsequent short range.

So after reading a good review of the R1250R – I thought, well, why not. You know the rest.

As for multiple rider settings etc etc – I just like to turn the key and go. (and yes I made sure mine came with a key!) So, my bike just has ROAD and RAIN modes. I’ve tried the RAIN mode a couple of times, the best I can do to describe it is like adding loads of turbo lag. The Honda test bike didn’t have a quick-shifter and I wasn’t impressed by the quick-shifters on the Yamaha or the BMW. And anyway, I haven’t used a clutch for going up the box for decades.

The exhaust is indeed a real minger. The R1250R and the RS must have possibly the most mingin silencer of any bike on the market just now. And that people pay 150 quid to have it covered in chrome so it looks even more disgusting?!? So, I stuck an SC Project on mine.

Things I don’t like.
The cut down tail, if it rains you get covered in road grime. That’s pretty poor for a bike that is often used for touring. The self-cancelling indicators – they are crap. The indicator button – the scroll wheel is in the way – bad design.

I love the TFT – but frankly the endless pages and features are of little interest.
Oh the side stand is too long – I might order the shorter version yet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice early two-month review, Smithy09. You may find my 1000-mile review of my '20 R1250R from a half-year ago of some interest...this thread also has my 2500-mile update at the end of it.

One thing I missed is the issue that you mention, the lack of the adjustability of the Dynamic Pro option. I didn't really try to play around with that mode until much later than 1000K, and, like you, was disappointed in its lack of adjustability. But as mentioned in my review, I do tend to be a set-and-forget-it kind of rider, so Dynamic mode w/ its default suspension setting is fine, though ideally I'd like the Dynamic Pro with Road suspension (which I initially thought Dynamic Pro was able to provide that combo), but that's not in the cards. But aside from that little niggle and the others I mention, it's the best bike I've ever owned, and the winter weather and temps have never seemed to last for so long.

·
5,848 Posts

·
5,848 Posts
Dynamic mode w/ its default suspension setting is fine, though ideally I'd like the Dynamic Pro with Road suspension (which I initially thought Dynamic Pro was able to provide that combo), but that's not in the cards.
RC the suspension settings are completely independent of the selected Engine mode/ASC/DTC combination.

Dynamic Pro adds a further combination of Engine mode (throttle response) and ASC/DTC, called Dynamic (just to confuse things). It also allows the rider to select a different combination than the presets for Rain, Road and Dynamic (see my earlier post #8). But this is independent of the suspension damping settings of Road and Dynamic (unfortunately common terminology, perfectly logical but clearly prone to causing confusion). On the 1200-LC Dynamic suspension damping also adds a little more preload to the rear to sharpen the steering - don’t know if the 1250 also does this.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I wouldn't go the way of Dougl's example, but my normal User mode is Road throttle response with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1200-LC throttle response off zero is more sensitive than the 1250 (from the test ride I took) and my SC-Project end-can has made this more so, so Dynamic throttle can be a bit touchy when on bumpy roads – a mid-corner bump can result in a lurch off-line. But I'm happy to feel the back slip a bit powering out of corners without early ASC intervention (gives me a feel for traction) so on my User setting I have Road throttle response combined with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1250's softer throttle response means I'd likely just leave the combination in the standard Dynamic setting.
I don’t ever want to lose traction on the rear wheel, but that’s just me. Yesterday, I thrashed it WOT and it hit the rev limiter (9000?) a lot quicker than I expected. The quick shift into 2nd worked great though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RC the suspension settings are completely independent of the selected Engine mode/ASC/DTC combination.

Dynamic Pro adds a further combination of Engine mode (throttle response) and ASC/DTC, called Dynamic (just to confuse things). It also allows the rider to select a different combination than the presets for Rain, Road and Dynamic (see my earlier post #8). But this is independent of the suspension damping settings of Road and Dynamic (unfortunately common terminology, perfectly logical but clearly prone to causing confusion). On the 1200-LC Dynamic suspension damping also adds a little more preload to the rear to sharpen the steering - don’t know if the 1250 also does this.
I do appreciate that the default ASC/DTC for each riding mode can be adjusted in Dynamic Pro mode, but each of the other riding modes also carry with them their default/coordinated setting for ABS and the ASC/DTC -- plus the active-suspension Dynamic ESA also depends on the selected riding mode, i.e. ESA in coordinated Auto for each mode is going to be stiffer w/ Dynamic mode over Road mode. In regards to my earlier post, my previous hope was that with the Dynamic Pro mode I could get Dynamic mode for the throttle and Road mode (Auto) for the Dynamic ESA -- looking for max throttle response with a slightly plusher, softer ride -- by simply selecting Dynamic Pro and its stored preference settings of that particular combo...but the Dynamic Pro mode doesn't offer that kind of easy, customized, one-button/mode override of the Auto modes of the ESA, at least not that I've been able to discover.

·
Registered
R1250R
345 Posts
I don’t ever want to lose traction on the rear wheel,
I’ve had the traction light blink at me a few times. Most commonly accelerating over bumps or small pot holes. A few times it has happened when overtaking cars, it is not very nice, it is like you’ve just closed the throttle when in fact you are still holding it wide open.

Being a bit ham fisted (or forgetting how torquey the bike is) in the rain I’ve had the rear spin up a few times. Which is the thing, I feel it letting go big time and I’m rolling off the throttle as the traction control starts blinking at me.

I welcome having a bike with ABS for the first time, and the traction control, well it is there. I suppose it presumably does a good job of keeping the front wheel down.
The other thing is, I wouldn’t rely on these things. If one is riding such that the ABS and traction control is blinking at you all the time, it might be an idea to ease up a little.

·
5,848 Posts
each of the other riding modes also carry with them their default/coordinated setting for ABS
Not so – ABS is either selected or not selected, independent of riding or suspension modes. EDIT: It has been pointed out to me by RC65 that the bike does in fact have optimised ABS settings for the different riding modes that work in with the selected Engine/ASC/DTC setting. It isn't clear though whether this is related tot he throttle response (engine) setting or the ASC/DTC.

my previous hope was that with the Dynamic Pro mode I could get Dynamic mode for the throttle and Road mode (Auto) for the Dynamic ESA
You won't get this with one button press because (as explained earlier) riding modes and suspension modes are completely independent. But you can easily set the combination you desire, albeit with three separate setting functions (Engine mode, suspension preload, and damping).

I don't see this as an issue – I think combining them all into a single setting function would add even further to the confusion, although I suppose the TFT provides additional flexibility to implement this effectively.

Note that changing the preload from Min to Max also changes the damping to suit the implied load, then going between Road and Dynamic ESA further changes the damping.

I'm with Smithy in respect of the ability to customise at least some of the settings. My first priority would be preload and damping, as the defaults won't suit all rider/pillion/luggage weights, riding style and road conditions.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts