BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not so – ABS is either selected or not selected, independent of riding or suspension modes.

(as explained earlier) riding modes and suspension modes are completely independent. But you can easily set the combination you desire, albeit with three separate setting functions (Engine mode, suspension preload, and damping).
Panzermann, you have much more experience with this bike than I do as a new owner of just nine months, but if I understand you correctly that is not the experience I have with the 2020 with Dynamic ESA and TFT (and associative software and electronics), so I can only assume that the previous 1200 iteration differs in that manner. They are not completely independent but rather a coordinated union under the umbrella of the selected riding mode (aside from the Dynamic Pro mode). The riding mode creates a default coordinated set of settings that work in "optimal" union...from the manual, after listing the various riding modes: "For each of these riding modes, there is a coordinated setting for the ABS and ASC/DTC systems as well as for the throttle response. The coordination of the Dynamic ESA also depends on the selected riding mode" (p. 148). ABS and/or ASC/DTC can be manually switched off in each riding mode, but they begin as a coordinated set for each riding mode. Also from the manual, after listing the riding modes: "The optimum interaction between engine characteristics, ABS control, and ASC/DTC control is provide for each of these scenarios" (p. 74). Once the ESA is set to Auto it adapts to the default optimal setting for each riding mode, e.g. stiffer from Dynamic and softer for Road, and that suspension mode change is not independent of the engine/throttle mode (Rain, Road, Dynamic) but rather part and parcel of it within the default Auto ESA component of the coordinated set of changes.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wouldn't go the way of Dougl's example, but my normal User mode is Road throttle response with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1200-LC throttle response off zero is more sensitive than the 1250 (from the test ride I took) and my SC-Project end-can has made this more so, so Dynamic throttle can be a bit touchy when on bumpy roads – a mid-corner bump can result in a lurch off-line. But I'm happy to feel the back slip a bit powering out of corners without early ASC intervention (gives me a feel for traction) so on my User setting I have Road throttle response combined with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1250's softer throttle response means I'd likely just leave the combination in the standard Dynamic setting.
Fair call and it makes sense. I'm hopefully doing a track day this weekend just for a laugh. I normally race an R3, so the boxer will be a little different but it is good to find your limits on the track and keep within them on the road.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wouldn't go the way of Dougl's example, but my normal User mode is Road throttle response with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1200-LC throttle response off zero is more sensitive than the 1250 (from the test ride I took) and my SC-Project end-can has made this more so, so Dynamic throttle can be a bit touchy when on bumpy roads – a mid-corner bump can result in a lurch off-line. But I'm happy to feel the back slip a bit powering out of corners without early ASC intervention (gives me a feel for traction) so on my User setting I have Road throttle response combined with Dynamic ASC/DTC.

The 1250's softer throttle response means I'd likely just leave the combination in the standard Dynamic setting.
Fair call and it makes sense. I'm hopefully doing a track day this weekend just for a laugh. I normally race an R3, so the boxer will be a little different but it is good to find your limits on the track and keep within them on the road.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome to the forum smithy09 (y) The R1200/1250 s are probably the best real world bikes on the market.
Thanks ****. I am tending to agree with you! I loved the Speed triple, but I wouldn't like to do 3000km on it. The Tuono would be a great hooligan bike, but the fuelling for around town is shocking, and sadly we all have to do a bit of that riding. I am just in love with the torque. I have raced bikes most of my life, but still can't get over the gobs of torque this thing produces. Love it.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
you have much more experience with this bike than I do
Bold assumption RC 😄 – I am well experienced with the 1200 but with the 1250 I have to rely on the surrogates – rider manuals (there are numerous variations for different variants and markets) and press releases (don't trust journos – they're just as confused as we are!).

I wasn't aware of the nuances of the ABS optimisation, although it isn't clear whether the variances are set to respond to changes in Engine (throttle) response setting or ASC/DTC setting, so you don't really know what you get when you choose a different combination under Dynamic Pro riding mode (called User riding mode). I've edited my earlier post to suit. From a user perspective, you take whatever is optimised by the Motorrad engineers, or turn ABS and/or ASC/DTC off.

I stand by my earlier points though that ESA settings (preload and separate damping control) are completely independent of Engine/ASC/DTC settings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bold assumption RC 😄
Don't sell yourself short, my friend, I've learned a lot from your posts in the time I've been here.🙂

From a user perspective, you take whatever is optimised by the Motorrad engineers, or turn ABS and/or ASC/DTC off.
Yes, correct -- for Rain, Road, and Dynamic riding modes unless you switch off the ABS and/or ASC/DTC (and not even sure that's possible with Rain, never tried), with a bit of customization possible in Dynamic Pro.

I stand by my earlier points though that ESA settings (preload and separate damping control) are completely independent of Engine/ASC/DTC settings.
Perhaps it's semantics or my misunderstanding of your full contention that's getting in the way, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree...as per my experience and the manual, if one has the Dynamic ESA in Auto, it's going to automatically optimize the suspension for you in Rain, Road, and Dynamic in a coordinated fashion with everything else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...ESA settings (preload and separate damping control) are completely independent of Engine/ASC/DTC settings.
Concur, although there seems to be a general consensus that ideally ESA could be linked within the Dynamic Pro set up. Perhaps even a ABS/TC off setting as well - even if the bike reverted to Road or Dynamic when restarted to get around the safety liability.

Not a big deal, just more button presses and distraction inevitably just when the road starts getting interesting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I really like the Carbon tank center and front fender. I've been waiting since spring for ilmberger to take my money on the rear hugger I ordered. I always loved riding the older boxer Rs, so I ended up buying my 1250 without a test ride, and I was petty happy to discover the all new top end hit. Have to agree that if BMW wants to enjoy super premium price levels they really ought to provide super premium adjustability in return.
The quality is outstanding. I am waiting on two side panels but can see me investing in more bling. Ilmberger tell me they should be up to date by February.

·
Registered
325 Posts
@Panzermann - Also note that the 1250R has different settings than our 1200R - we have individual buttons for ASC/DTC and ESA, they have menu selections on the TFT, with the ability to set a "favorite" button (I think). I recall reading somewhere that the different modes are not the same as ours, and that the combinations are different...

·
Registered
R1250R
349 Posts
Sorry it was R&G.
No worries. Yeah I noticed, cos I bought the Evotech (their stuff is nice by the way) but it doesn’t fit if you have the plastic side pods, it only fits with the stainless ones. So, I sent it back and got the R&G one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...as per my experience and the manual, if one has the Dynamic ESA in Auto, it's going to automatically optimize the suspension for you in Rain, Road, and Dynamic in a coordinated fashion with everything else.
Actually on re-reading the 1250r manual, I agree. It is clear the ABS, ASC/DCT and Dynamic ESA are coordinated (“adapted”) with the selected riding mode.

I suspect the riding mode doesn’t fully override the ESA setting, but just allows for a different working range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
218 Posts
The quality is outstanding. I am waiting on two side panels but can see me investing in more bling. Ilmberger tell me they should be up to date by February.
So far ilmberger has told me: end of summer, end of September, early December, and last time end of January MAYBE. I sure hope it's good after all the waiting.

I'd be willing to pay even more for their front fender if they revised it to be a proper fender that extended down an extra maybe 15" to keep dirt where it belongs.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So far ilmberger has told me: end of summer, end of September, early December, and last time end of January MAYBE. I sure hope it's good after all the waiting.

I'd be willing to pay even more for their front fender if they revised it to be a proper fender that extended down an extra maybe 15" to keep dirt where it belongs.
I hope you're wrong, but who knows? Still waiting for cylinder head guards from R&G as well....

·
5,863 Posts
Perhaps it's semantics or my misunderstanding of your full contention that's getting in the way, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree...as per my experience and the manual, if one has the Dynamic ESA in Auto, it's going to automatically optimize the suspension for you in Rain, Road, and Dynamic in a coordinated fashion with everything else.
Actually on re-reading the 1250r manual, I agree. It is clear the ABS, ASC/DCT and Dynamic ESA are coordinated (“adapted”) with the selected riding mode.

I suspect the riding mode doesn’t fully override the ESA setting, but just allows for a different working range.
OK, I'm with the program now, kind of. There are a couple very obtuse paragraphs in the manual that refer to this linkage – without explanation (maybe BMW is trying to protect their intellectual property – from the owners ...).
-->

So there must be some nuances in the ESA that are directly associated with the Ride Modes (scenarios) but their exact nature remains a mystery.

The manual also states that while the Dynamic Pro ride mode needs to be set up in the menu, the mode can be toggled on the fly using the Mode button on the right hand controls.

Similarly, the damping can be toggled between Road and Dynamic by a double tap of the spring rocker switch on the LH grip.

Reactions: smithy09

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey Panzerman. Yeah, got all that. What really disapoints me is that on a high end bike like this, you can usually have a "custom mode" where you can dial up how much anti-wheelie, ABS, and traction control comes in at a given point. This NZ$30,000 bike cannot do that. When they say "Dynamic Pro" is adjustable, it's a bit of a false promise, especially when it is an optional extra on the base model. Hopefully track time will give some answers as to how good it all is, along with simply switching off the ABS and DTC... (Gulp).

·
5,863 Posts
So there must be some nuances in the ESA that are directly associated with the Ride Modes (scenarios) but their exact nature remains a mystery.
Is it simply that when you select Rain or Road, the ESA defaults to Road, and when you select Dynamic or Dynamic Pro, ESA defaults to Dynamic, I wonder. A double tap on the the Spring rocker switch would swap to the alternative setting.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,659 Posts
Thanks ****. I am tending to agree with you! I loved the Speed triple, but I wouldn't like to do 3000km on it. The Tuono would be a great hooligan bike, but the fuelling for around town is shocking, and sadly we all have to do a bit of that riding. I am just in love with the torque. I have raced bikes most of my life, but still can't get over the gobs of torque this thing produces. Love it.
I can confirm that as I have a Speed Triple, it's a great bike to have fun on but not to go any serious distance, it's about the same as my Ducati in that respect.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts