BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it simply that when you select Rain or Road, the ESA defaults to Road, and when you select Dynamic or Dynamic Pro, ESA defaults to Dynamic, I wonder. A double tap on the the Spring rocker switch would swap to the alternative setting.
Yep, this is how it behaves. Ideally it could be set up in the Dynamic Pro riding mode for alternative ESA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can confirm that as I have a Speed Triple, it's a great bike to have fun on but not to go any serious distance, it's about the same as my Ducati in that respect.
I had a 2015 model for a few years and put 55000 km on it - loved that bike and did some big rides no problem. Several trips to Phillip Island for the GP and a 9 day / 4500km ride down to Tasmania and Great Ocean Road.

It doesn’t compare to the R1250R for touring but it’s possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. First post on here. I live down in Auckland, New Zealand and never, ever, thought I'd be a Boxer owner! I've always had Jap bikes, but got sick of working on my old 1980 GS 1000S, so went looking for a Naked bike, homing in on testing Tuonos, Triumph Speed triples and the Beemer S1000R. I also read an Aussie guy's road test on the R1250R (Boris Mikhailovich for Aussies on here) and he raved about the 1250R, so I added it to the list. First ride tootling in the city, and I wasn't impressed. Easy to maneuver, and good fueling at low revs, but nothing outstanding. Get on the open road, twist the wrist, and Holy Flock!! A very different animal! In the end, the nicest bikes to ride were the Speed triple and surprise surprise, the 1250R. The S1000R left me cold. Super smooth and no personality. The speed triple appealed to my inner hooligan and I loved it, but comfort on a longer trip? The 1250 won the day and was surprisingly agile in the twisties. What really sold it to me was the torque. OMG! twist that throttle and seriously hold on!

Downsides? That damn ugly exhaust. What a pig! The rear tyre also needed a guard and the tail needed tidying up. I also found an amazing company called Ilmberger Carbon. If you want to get rid of money fast, have a look at their site. Ilmberger Carbonparts Quality is second to none. I am still waiting for some carbon cylinder head covers and carbon side scoop things.. Next was the Akropovic can. It looks so much better than original, but is still a bit quiet for my liking.. Then it was a rear guard (hugger) from Puig and a tail tidy and radiator guard from Evotech. The tail tidy was probably the fiddliest to fit, but no biggie. I will be tempted in the future to ditch the cat and stock exhaust and see what we can do with the computer software.. I am happy with it all for now though, after all, same torque as a Ducati Panigale... :cool:

The other downside is that I have just found how limited the "Dynamic Pro" option is. I thought that the traction control, ABS, Wheelie control and suspension would all be adjustable so you could store custom settings.. Nope. What a rip off and total waste of time. BMW hang your head in shame. So for wheelies and hooligan efforts, it has to be All off or Dynamic. That's your lot. Not much point in having Rain TC settings with say Dynamic ABS. Really stupid and I was misled.

I have just completed 3000km around the North and South Islands and the bike is a dream to ride. I went naked, as I want to keep my license and fairings just encourage me. The naked bike sort of limits you to 120km/hr (I find) maintaining comfort, and although that's expensive if caught (limit is 100km/hr in NZ) it's not a throw away your license offense. I was touring with a couple of mates on big jap tourers. They both had a go on the 1250 and came back with massive grins! One of these guys is a long time racer and has ridden all kinds of bikes. He said it was the best road bike he has ever ridden. So far I agree with him!

I've loaded a few pics of the carbon bits and accessories. Radar detector is a must here in NZ and bluetooths to my helmet..

View attachment 109861 View attachment 109860 View attachment 109862 View attachment 109863 View attachment 109864 View attachment 109865 View attachment 109866 View attachment 109867 View attachment 109868
I love what you've done so far. Looks Fantastic! The options on my '12 are limited, mostly due to my wallet, but Cheers to you!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks Pleavit. There are some outstanding carbon side scoopy things and cylinder head guards to be delivered (Ordered in November), but I am really addicted to the Ilmberger stuff now. Such awesome quality. They just need to get their production lines humming!!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Just to be clear, ABS and ASC/DTC are turned back on (assuming someone screwed with them) the next time you turn on the bike, right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Spied that HUGE container of Motomuck motorcycle cleaner lurking in your shed too Smithy09, another thing we have in common (although yours is MUCH bigger than mine!). I'm a recent convert to this excellent product and was very pleasantly surprised with results the first time I used it on my R.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
Is it simply that when you select Rain or Road, the ESA defaults to Road, and when you select Dynamic or Dynamic Pro, ESA defaults to Dynamic, I wonder. A double tap on the the Spring rocker switch would swap to the alternative setting.
Yep, this is how it behaves. Ideally it could be set up in the Dynamic Pro riding mode for alternative ESA.
Curiosity got the better of me so while out and about this morning, I swung by the dealership for a chat. And yes, as I postulated, and daaef confirmed, selecting a ride mode will also invoke the default associated ESA mode. A little annoying perhaps (I ride on Dynamic ESA with Road ride mode all the time, unless the road turns particularly rough, when I switch the ESA to Road) but as noted earlier, it only takes a double-tap to toggle to the alternate ESA mode.

Just to be clear, ABS and ASC/DTC are turned back on (assuming someone screwed with them) the next time you turn on the bike, right?
Yes - they default back to on with a key-on cycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Followed this discussion with interest and my takeaway is that the 1250 offers less flexibility in customisation of settings than the 1200. User mode in the 1200 allows me to select dynamic engine mode and combine it with the traction control setting from road mode. Not an option on the 1250, correct?

·
5,863 Posts
User mode in the 1200 allows me to select dynamic engine mode and combine it with the traction control setting from road mode. Not an option on the 1250, correct?
If you have the Dynamic Pro option on the 1250, the User mode of the 1200-LC is now called Dynamic Pro, and you can do the same as you can on the 1200. The only difference is that now the ESA damping setting (Road or Dynamic) is also associated with the Ride mode. I'm not sure what happens with this association when setting up the Dynamic Pro options though – does the Dynamic ESA damping get associated with the Dynamic Engine setting or the Dynamic ASC/DTC setting if one of the two is set to say Road?

Reactions: mandango

·
Dave in NE TN
980 Posts
...I am really addicted to the Ilmberger stuff now. Such awesome quality...
Agree, Ilmberger makes beautiful carbon fiber pieces. Spendy, but buy once cry once. So light they seem to defy gravity.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: smithy09

·
Registered
219 Posts
Curiosity got the better of me so while out and about this morning, I swung by the dealership for a chat. And yes, as I postulated, and daaef confirmed,
[cough, cough]

selecting a ride mode will also invoke the default associated ESA mode.
Well, I tried earlier to save the hassle of that chat, but...;) Ah well, at least you got to see all the shiny new bikes.

I need to get into my dealer soon, I really want to see the new S1000R. I have no desire to set foot on the racetrack, I prize comfortable ergos and seat, love the uniqueness and monstrous, instant torque of the new twin 1250 ShiftCam boxer, and love the easy convenience of shaft drive, so have no idea why the S1000R is whispering my name lately. I'm aware enough r.e. my own preferences and priorities to know that the chances I'd ever trade my '20 1250R in for a '21 S1000R are zero, but I need to give that new bike a quick spin to put the whole issue to bed.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
[cough, cough]

Well, I tried earlier to save the hassle of that chat, but...;) Ah well, at least you got to see all the shiny new bikes.

I need to get into my dealer soon, I really want to see the new S1000R. I have no desire to set foot on the racetrack, I prize comfortable ergos and seat, love the uniqueness and monstrous, instant torque of the new twin 1250 ShiftCam boxer, and love the easy convenience of shaft drive, so have no idea why the S1000R is whispering my name lately. I'm aware enough r.e. my own preferences and priorities to know that the chances I'd ever trade my '20 1250R in for a '21 S1000R are zero, but I need to give that new bike a quick spin to put the whole issue to bed.
I tested the S1000R. Smooth as silk but utterly boring. No kick in the pants like the R1250R. I am sure they do everything really well, but the torque of the 1250 sold it to me. I reckon it's a better road bike. On the track? Not sure. Hopefully find out tommorrow if the weather holds.

·
5,863 Posts
Cheers RC - what wasn’t absolutely clear to me from the earlier discussion was whether the bike defaulted to one of the standard presets (Road or Dynamic) or whether there was some other, unspecified ‘scenario overlay’ on top of the set ESA mode.

At the end of the day, BMW Motorrad (as usual) thinks it knows what’s best for us (but this is readily overridden by a double-tap on the LH rocker switch to toggle the ESA mode). This philosophy, I think, is why they haven’t provided functionality to tailor the settings, as you can on many higher spec bikes from other brands, and as @smithy09 would like. The majority of the demographic either wouldn’t want to or wouldn’t know how to better optimise the settings for their riding circumstances.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
11 Posts
Nice early two-month review, Smithy09. You may find my 1000-mile review of my '20 R1250R from a half-year ago of some interest...this thread also has my 2500-mile update at the end of it.

One thing I missed is the issue that you mention, the lack of the adjustability of the Dynamic Pro option. I didn't really try to play around with that mode until much later than 1000K, and, like you, was disappointed in its lack of adjustability. But as mentioned in my review, I do tend to be a set-and-forget-it kind of rider, so Dynamic mode w/ its default suspension setting is fine, though ideally I'd like the Dynamic Pro with Road suspension (which I initially thought Dynamic Pro was able to provide that combo), but that's not in the cards. But aside from that little niggle and the others I mention, it's the best bike I've ever owned, and the winter weather and temps have never seemed to last for so long.
Congrats, Smith09 - I think everyone here agrees you made a great choice! I rode airheads from '83 till now (although I raced everything from four-stroke fours to two-stroke fours - yes, I said two-stroke fours: RZ500 & RG500 - and also briefly owned a 1999 R100S...), keeping my '91 R100GS for 29 years and 270, 000 kms. But, even though I rode many of the "monster-bikes" (V-MAX, Suzuki GSXR1000, CBX, etc.), I've never ridden a bike as thoroughly satisfying as the R1250R. I got the 'bare-bones' version, because I didn't want any electronics at all, to be honest; having never had it, I didn't figure I'd need it, and it's just more stuff to break down the line. The minimum (ABS, TC and HSA) are more than I need, but nice to have, in my (revised) opinion. I'd probably feel the same about all the Dynamic bells and whistles, if I'd sprung for them! ;-)

Like you, I couldn't stand the stock muffler, so got an Akro and I did add an inner fender; tried two different huggers and decided I didn't really like either of them. The minimalist bikini fairing I added probably doesn't do a thing, functionally, but it makes mine different from any other...

Ride long and hard, and stay safe!

And, @RC65 if you think your winters are long, try living in Québec - believe me, you don't want to!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Congrats, Smith09 - I think everyone here agrees you made a great choice! I rode airheads from '83 till now (although I raced everything from four-stroke fours to two-stroke fours - yes, I said two-stroke fours: RZ500 & RG500 - and also briefly owned a 1999 R100S...), keeping my '91 R100GS for 29 years and 270, 000 kms. But, even though I rode many of the "monster-bikes" (V-MAX, Suzuki GSXR1000, CBX, etc.), I've never ridden a bike as thoroughly satisfying as the R1250R. I got the 'bare-bones' version, because I didn't want any electronics at all, to be honest; having never had it, I didn't figure I'd need it, and it's just more stuff to break down the line. The minimum (ABS, TC and HSA) are more than I need, but nice to have, in my (revised) opinion. I'd probably feel the same about all the Dynamic bells and whistles, if I'd sprung for them! ;-)

Like you, I couldn't stand the stock muffler, so got an Akro and I did add an inner fender; tried two different huggers and decided I didn't really like either of them. The minimalist bikini fairing I added probably doesn't do a thing, functionally, but it makes mine different from any other...

Ride long and hard, and stay safe!

And, @RC65 if you think your winters are long, try living in Québec - believe me, you don't want to!
Hey Mr Excessive! Thanks. I love the bike more and more. Went out with an R1 today and he couldn't get away. I'm sure it would be different on the track, but on the road it's brilliant. Found a weak point and that is turn in on very tight corners. After racing an R3, the turn in is pedestrian, more like my post classic race bike (1980 GS1000 Suzuki). Given you background I'm sure you can identify with that. Stunning bike, very impressed. Just ordered another Euro1500 worth of Carbon from Ilmberger. Love their work... It's a sickness!! :):):).
Pics of the other bikes below.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
11 Posts
Hey Smithy09! Nice pics; they instantly take me back and get my adrenaline going...! I agree about the turn-in being 'Meh', but I've chalked that up to not yet having had enough opportunities to chalk up serious sporting miles (or kilometers, in my case...) on it, given this PITA COVID situation. I've only got 3000 kms. on it, the first third of which was a break-in period, so most of my riding hasn't yet gotten to 'push the envelope' on this bike. Also, as you know, tires can make a huge difference, so if I'm still not super-impressed with the turn-in once these tires are due to be replaced, hopefully a change of make will improve that. Still, I went for one ride this year with a group of 20 or so assorted sportbikes, and was riding behind the first two guys (S1000XR and MT10) - and only because I didn't want to push it beyond all reason on public roads.

Here's a pic - you can't see my bike in this shot, but it's behind the S1000XR:

Here's the R65LS I raced in Battle of the Twins and F2 (notice the Keihin flat-slide carbs):

And here's The Beast in all its glory:

Now, only 3 more months of waiting till I can ride again...!

:rolleyes:

Keep the shiny side up!
20200606_115409_resized.jpg
R65LS-racer.jpg
IMG_1019 (2).jpg

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
11 Posts
Hey Smithy09! Nice pics; they instantly take me back and get my adrenaline going...! I agree about the turn-in being 'Meh', but I've chalked that up to not yet having had enough opportunities to chalk up serious sporting miles (or kilometers, in my case...) on it, given this PITA COVID situation. I've only got 3000 kms. on it, the first third of which was a break-in period, so most of my riding hasn't yet gotten to 'push the envelope' on this bike. Also, as you know, tires can make a huge difference, so if I'm still not super-impressed with the turn-in once these tires are due to be replaced, hopefully a change of make will improve that. Still, I went for one ride this year with a group of 20 or so assorted sportbikes, and was riding behind the first two guys (S1000XR and MT10) - and only because I didn't want to push it beyond all reason on public roads.

Here's a pic - you can't see my bike in this shot, but it's behind the S1000XR:

View attachment 109948

Here's the R65LS I raced in Battle of the Twins and F2 (notice the Keihin flat-slide carbs):
View attachment 109949

And here's The Beast in all its glory:
View attachment 109950

Now, only 3 more months of waiting till I can ride again...!

:rolleyes:

Keep the shiny side up! View attachment 109948 View attachment 109949 View attachment 109950
@Moderately Excessive - please tell us about that lower headlight cowl... :p Drooling down here SoCal.
Hey, thanks, @r0ckrat ! It's actually off an R65LS (as in the previous picture); I had to cut it down quite a bit because of the width of the gas tank and radiator shroud, to avoid it contacting those bits at full-lock. That fairing was on the first model of Bimmer I ever owned (1982), and I liked it so much it became something of a recurring theme.

Here it is on my '91 R100GS, which I 'street-fighter-ized' and made look like its little brother - tail-section is also from an LS - even down to getting the spoke wheels done in white:

As you can probably tell, I found the R1250R just too 'naked' without it...!

;)

41 - 60 of 65 Posts