BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 R1200R with about 30k miles. I am the 3rd owner. I do the oil changes myself but have the dealer perform the annual checkups. I have installed a secondary fuse panel to run my auxiliary lights, Sceens, Powlet plug and I have just installed a BMW Navigator IV unit with the 4-button mount plugged into the OEM provided power connector in the front of the tank.

The bike recently developed a problem with the gauge cluster. Initially, when I first turn the key on, the dials would sweep and the upper portion of the LCD display, time & mileage, would come on immediately. The lower portion of the, gear indicator, fuel & temp gauges, would come on with varying delays from almost instantaneous to up to about a 2 second delay.

Then the clock started not keeping the correct time. Then, the cluster would not come on at all, but the bike would run perfectly. Sometimes, the cluster would come to life as I was riding. But lately, if it is out when I start the bike, it will stay out. But if it comes on when I turn the key, it stays on until I turn the key off again. I would say the cluster is on about 1/4 of the time I ride. The bike runs perfectly with all lights, horn, turn signals, etc. working perfectly.

I had the dealer put the bike on the computer and they said everything checked out, so it must be the cluster going bad. "Ride the bike until the cluster goes out completely and then install a new unit" was their advice.

To me, it seems like there is a loose wire or ground in the leads to the cluster. I am checking out wiring diagrams to see where & how I can trouble shoot the wires & plugs feeding the cluster.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was the successful fix, if any? If anyone else has an idea, chime in, please.

Thanks, and have a safe and happy holiday. :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have to agree with you on the loose wire or dry joint, if you ca get the cluster off check all the wires to it and on it and maybe just run a soldering iron over any joints you can get to.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intrusment Cluster Problem

I pulled the instrument cluster recntly and the connections looked perfect; no corrosion or dirty pins.

I plugged and unplugged the connector several times and wiggled it to be sure there was good contact. Still no luck. :frown2:

Since it has started getting warmer here (upper 60', lower 70's) the cluster will now come on after riding a few miles. But it still does not come on when i first turn the key. :surprise:

Has anybody had the same issue? Any suggestions for fixes?

Does anyone know of a shop that can repair the instrument cluster?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on Cluster Problems

I am still having problems with my instrument cluster. :censored:

For most of the Summer and now into the cooler weather, I have been riding without the benefit of any instruments. If it wasn't for my Nav IV, I would not have any speed or mileage data.

The bike runs great; all the systems work but NO INSTRUMENTS. :angry:

I have taken the cluster off, wiggled all of the connectors and reinstalled the cluster; NO JOY. I cleaned the battery terminals; nothing.

On a hunch, I connected everything back up and started the bike. As usual, no instrument read outs. Then I used my wife's hair drier to blow hot hair on the panel. After a short while, the panel came to life with a temperature read out of 94 degrees F. WTF :cursing:

Does anybody out there have any idea what the problem might be or any thoughts on what to try?

I have contacted several sites on the interwebs that say they repair speedometers. All have said they do not work on BMW Motorad products. Any suggestions on a shop?

Thanks for any help. I am at my wits end. I love the bike but I need instruments! :dizzy: I don't think I can even sell or trade the bike the way it is now.

HELP :eek:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Are there any other members near you filterfool? Might be worth dropping them a PM to see if you can go over and substitute your clocks to confirm if its the clocks or the loom before you start ripping things apart.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hit the cluster with a few minutes under the hair drier...see if it resolves then comes back as it cools.

Unfortunately, with digital clusters, you’d have to know how to repair circuit boards to fix it yourself. Is the 07 digital or analog? With analog, you can test more specifically. I had a wonky fuel gauge on my XX. Turned out to be a fouled screw (served as part of the circuit to the gauge). Had a failing speedometer too. Once I saw the signal disappeared when it dropped to zero, I knew it wasn’t the gauge acting up. Took some ingenuity to hard wire a multimeter to the cluster so I could see what was happening while in motion.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instrument Cluster

Still no joy on the gauge cluster. :001_9898:

Does anyone know of a totaled 2006 to 2009 R1200R with an intact gauge cluster? I'd like to see if it would work hooked up to my bike.

I have tried numerous speedo repair shops to no success. They work on automotive clusters but not on motorcycle clusters. :frown2:

The bike runs fine, just no instruments. I think it's mocking me. :dizzy:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a navi v or similar as most of the data can be displayed on that until you get your clocks sorted.
Yes, I have a Nav 4 on the factory bracket. That gives me speed, time and miles to empty. The only thing I don't have is the gear indicator.

I can ride the bike safely, it's just annoying to have a blank instrument cluster. Plus, I do not know total miles.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you checked connections to the chassis computer?
I have checked the connections on the back of the instrument cluster and sprayed both ends with contact cleaner.

How does one check the connections to the chassis computer?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Under the seat somewhere will be the ZFE chassis computer with a large connector. Slide the locking tab back and wriggle the connector off then spray with contact cleaner as you did with the panel connector.

If you had a manual with circuit diagrams, you could look up which pins on the ZFE connector relate to the instrument panel and check connectivity through to the panel plug.

You could also check whether power is getting through to the panel connector when the key is on - one of the connectors would be +ve. Similarly checking the earth pin. A circuit diagram should tell you which terminals are which.

I can’t help with further detail as I ride an LC and don’t have the relevant manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Panzermann, I will give that a try tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I do not have a wiring diagram with my owner's manual. Any thoughts about where i might source one?

filterfool

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
The Haynes manuals usually have some generic-to-series diagrams. The LC manual, for example, has GS wiring diagrams, but one can assume the R is a subset.

Maybe someone on the forum could take a picture of the relevant page(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you tryed moving bars from side to side, like your manoeuvring and riding the bike , whilst checking the intermittent on and off of gauges on the Center stand if applicable. Will this change the functionality of gauges . If so it could be the wiring loom in front of the bike and is affected by left right bar movement. Hope you can find the problem .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Panzermann, I will give that a try tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I do not have a wiring diagram with my owner's manual. Any thoughts about where i might source one?

filterfool
I have subscribed to the Haynes online manual for my 2011. It includes the wiring diagrams for the bike. The Haynes manual for your model year probably has wiring diagrams too. But I'm not sure if that will be of much help.

As far as I know, the cluster is digital and there are only six pins in the connector. On my bike it's like this:
1 - white/black - CAN_HI
2 - white/brown - CAN_LO
3 - red - 12V (permanently on?)
4 - brown - Ground
5 - green/white - WL (I'm not sure what this does. Some places it is described as warning lamp, but my guess is that it is used to turn on the cluster)
6 - not in use. (On some bikes this is violet and is 12V through the ignition key)

All data to the cluster is received on the CAN-bus. As far as I know, it doesn't send anything to other units. That is probably one of the reasons your bike is running perfectly even without the cluster. If there was an intermittent connection on the CAN-lines, the display would probably still be on, just showing incorrect or no values. If you had intermittent power lines, the cluster would probably turn on and off more randomly, or finally just be dead. Since the temperature of the cluster influences the function, I think that it's very likely that there's a problem with the electronics inside the cluster, as other people also have suggested.

After you have checked the wiring, I think the next thing is to check the cluster. The only cheap way to do this is to open the cluster and inspect it, but that is only for someone who knows electronics. But anyone with knowledge of electronics and soldering could probably do it, he doesn't have to know BMW motorcycle clusters. If you are lucky, there are some solder joints that look off and the problem will be solved by resoldering. If there's no visible problems, you would have to be an expert to fix the cluster, so you end up buying a second cluster anyway.

Another solution is to to borrow or buy a cluster and see if it solves the problem. If you don't have a good friend with an R1200R who's willing to lend you his cluster, you're stuck with buying one. There are some on eBay now and then, but they often cost a few hundred dollars. And I don't know if you can just swap them without having someone program it to your bike. My guess is that you can, but again, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts