BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benn riding on Michelin Pilot Road 4s for nearly 5 years now, and it is time to get a new set or rubber.

What is you choice of tire for our bikes? Which brand one should I install?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Benn riding on Michelin Pilot Road 4s for nearly 5 years now, and it is time to get a new set or rubber.

Thanks in advance.
I’m on my second set of Michelin Road 5s With a 2014 R1200R. Very happy with their dry and wet road grip. Also used them on some gravel dry roads and found them reasonably confidence-inspiring. But I’m a careful rider off asphalt.
Longevity was 9500 km on the rear and 13000 km on the front. Never tried the Michelin PR4s so can’t give you a comparative opinion.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,389 Posts
I’m very happy with Road 5s for handling, grip and mileage, getting over 10,000km on my rears and up to 13,000km on the front, with plenty of sporting riding.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
59 Posts
Michelin road 4s were great. Road 5s are better. Next I’ll try road 6s. I like a tire that handle’s well. If it gets a lot of miles that’s better but mileage isn’t my first choice. I get about 5,000 to 6,000 miles on road 5s front and rear. An aggressive rider would get less (4,000 miles) on the front.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your input gents, much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Looking at a lightly-used (~8500km only) 2011 R1200 R Classic with OE tyres/tires that are now obviously at least 11 years old, possibly more.

Would it be desirable/ highly recommended to put fresh rubber onto the bike asap?

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
109 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Pilot 5 are excellent now updated to Pilot 6. I changed over from Bridgestone T32s which I found to be very good but weren't available when I had to change.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts
Looking at a lightly-used (~8500km only) 2011 R1200 R Classic with OE tyres/tires....
HA! Still in The Game LOS?! Good For You!! Your garage has an empty space that needs filling.

"You don't quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding." ~'Million Mile Man' Paul Mihalka (Ride In Peace)

Cheers!! Dave

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at a lightly-used (~8500km only) 2011 R1200 R Classic with OE tyres/tires that are now obviously at least 11 years old, possibly more.

Would it be desirable/ highly recommended to put fresh rubber onto the bike asap?
Hello Lawrence, how are you?
I would definitely change 11 year old tires and put new rubber on, ……… safety first!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Hello Lawrence, how are you?
I would definitely change 11 year old tires and put new rubber on, ……… safety first!

Thanks, Jochen (and JPC). I plan to factor-in the cost of new tyres/ tires when negotiating with the owner - I agree, safety first. PRs get good reviews, and I recall owning a pair of PR3s or 4s, so the latest Roads should suit fine.

Reactions: JPC IRL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good call Lawrence, good call!

Good luck with your negotations, you may have a "new to you" addition to the stable soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had Michelin Road 5s and two sets of Metzler Roadtec 01s on my 2011 RT; both are very good, wet or dry. Maybe the Michelins give slightly better wet weather performance while the Metzlers have better longevity. Changed the Michelins at 12,500km and the Metzlers at 14,000km- both still had decent tread depth but getting choppy towards the end.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Pilot Road rear is excellent. PR fronts are acceptable only if you are slow.

The tread features that make the PR front work in the rain wear poorly under hard cornering and trail braking. My used '16 came with a brand new set of PR5s and the front was feathered/cupped into scary territory at less than 2500 miles. I'd seen the same wear pattern on PR3s years ago.

My favorite since the PR3 is a Pilot Road rear and a Pilot Power front. The extra grip of a sport bike tire under braking and cornering is reassuring and they wear out at the same time.

I've been getting deals on Bridgestone S22s so the third set is on the bike now. They are shagged at 3500 miles on a bike at the heavy end of their design range but the grip is great fun until then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used to be a Metzler man, but changed to Michelin many years ago when the Metzlers were out of stock, and I have never changed back.
I found that while they both gave me about 13,000klms (8000 miles) front and rear, the Michelin handled better. The Michelin are also cheaper.
Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I replaced the original equipment Bridgestone's at about 8,000 miles I went with Continental Road Attack 3's and I definitely do not regret the choice, they have been outstanding in the wet and no complaints on dry handling. With a little over 17,000 on the bike I expect to replace them at the 18,000 mile service with the newest version of the Road Attack "4". Originally I was somewhat disappointed in the ride quality of the ESA suspension that all changed when I replaced the O.E. "Bridgerock" tires.

·
Registered
2009 R1200R, 2000 R1100R, 1991 Honda Nighthawk, 1974 Yamaha DT250
5 Posts
Metzlers came on my used 1100 years ago and I stayed with them until I upgraded to the 1200. It came with Michelin. Very confidence inspiring tires. I won’t go back.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
"Lazarus of Suburbia" is to be your new moniker, Lawrence 😂

I will be on the Sunny Coast on Thursday (May 5th) Pz, so if you are also out and about then please keep an eye open for an old geezer wobbling around - and that's even before I get onto the Classic!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,389 Posts
I will be on the Sunny Coast on Thursday (May 5th) Pz, so if you are also out and about then please keep an eye open for an old geezer wobbling around - and that's even before I get onto the Classic!
I'll be around on Thursday, Lawrence/Lazarus. You must drop in for a cup of tea!
I'll warn the Panzerhunden to expect you so they can prepare their best welcome voices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts