BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My wife let me know there was a "bad smell" coming from the garage and I was greeted with this...

Left the bike on the side stand overnight after a lovely uneventful ride yesterday.
I hoped I was done with the dreaded fuel leaks when I sold my Triumph, but apparently it has spread from England to Germany!
I have an appointment to have the fuel pump recall done but it's not until June 7. I siphoned 2 gallons out and will see if it is still dripping.
Pic two is looking up from under the tank on the left side of the bike. Dripping from the round silvery metal thing in the picture on the right side of the shot. Fuel pump? fitting?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It may just be the plastic connections. I had the same problem at one point and thought as you did that it was coming from the pump, but it was actually one of the plastic disconnect fittings. They're pretty cheap and prone to failure with age. It could also just be one of the O-rings on one of the fittings. I replaced all my connections with the metal ones available from beemerboneyard.com and never had an issue after that, but swapping the O-rings may have done the job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may just be the plastic connections. I had the same problem at one point and thought as you did that it was coming from the pump, but it was actually one of the plastic disconnect fittings. They're pretty cheap and prone to failure with age. It could also just be one of the O-rings on one of the fittings. I replaced all my connections with the metal ones available from beemerboneyard.com and never had an issue after that, but swapping the O-rings may have done the job.
I had the bike scheduled for the fuel pump recall for June 7th. That's a long time not to be riding the new to me bike (I only have one bike). I think I will get the tank off and evaluate the situation. I have replaced the plastic fuel fittings on my Triumph Sprint that failed, so should be able to do this on the Beemer. Just sucks that BMW didn't issue a recall for this.
?$#% :mad::poop:

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
All's well that ends well, and good plug for the esteemed Jim von Baden at JVB Productions.

Good guy and lots of good info for Boxer DIYers - data, pics, vids, media.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: EZ OUT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts