BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my bike to Santa Fe BMW every 15,000 miles or so for a valve adjustment. The last 3 times I just get the report “valves in spec.” No parts used or charged.

I have ridden /5s, K75s....etc since 1972...this doesn’t seem possible. What do you think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It doesn't sound unusual to me. I even know a guy who's Duc never needed any adjustment the entire 65k miles he owned it. Enjoy ever improving metallurgy and engineering. You deserve something back for what you spend on these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,390 Posts
I sold my 2007 F800ST with 100,000 km on the clock and the clearances were still within spec. Similarly for my 1200-LC with over 80,000 km.

As Pale Roadster says, be thankful for modern engineering and metallurgy, even if some of us have to put up with endlessly complex TFT screens and trickisome ignition fobs. 😉

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
101 Posts
I take my bike to Santa Fe BMW every 15,000 miles or so for a valve adjustment. The last 3 times I just get the report “valves in spec.” No parts used or charged.

I have ridden /5s, K75s....etc since 1972...this doesn’t seem possible. What do you think?
+1. I'm on my 3rd camhead and have yet to see clearances out of spec. Pretty common for these engines.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Good to know. I had some doubts about my dealer as they tell me to change my oil based on “smell”. This trip they told me my oil was “Burt Up”! It was Mobil 1 with 5000 miles of all NM highway cruising. Changed it when home, but it gets changed at 5000 anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
5,390 Posts
I always record mine when I check them so I can see any trend. If I were getting a dealer to do the service, I'd ask for the measurements (beforehand) for the same reason.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always record mine when I check them so I can see any trend. If I were getting a dealer to do the service, I'd ask for the measurements (beforehand) for the same reason.
I went to the dealer as they would have the shims that I expected were needed. I will check them myself from now on.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I believe it-camheads use shim under bucket to adjust valves and they stay in spec way longer then screw type especially if you don’t run the engine up hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts