BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 R1200R MU
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm now about 600 miles into my R1200R ownership, and so far so good - with one minor exception.
I have an annoying rattle / metallic clanking sound which seems to come from the right hand side of the bike - and which manifests itself between about 1800-2500 rpm, and only when the engine is labouring slightly - it happens in any gear. If the engine is pulling well, or on the overrun - no noise. It could probably be best described as a tin can being kicked along the ground - the sort of noise that I've heard from loose heat shields on car exhausts before.
I replaced the seized flapper valve with an elimination pipe from Motorworks - and whilst I had the (factory fitted) Akrapovic silencer off I had a look through the pipe into the catalyst - I gave the catalyst matrix a gentle prod with a screwdriver to see if it was loose - it wasn't. I can't find any loose screws or bolts on the underside of the bike.
Any ideas for further things to look at would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you take the bike for a ride while the silencer was off to rule out/confirm if the rattling is coming from the silencer? If it is, I would suspect maybe a weld on an internal baffle failed.

·
Registered
2013 R1200R MU
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you take the bike for a ride while the silencer was off to rule out/confirm if the rattling is coming from the silencer? If it is, I would suspect maybe a weld on an internal baffle failed.
Hi R1200N8 - I haven't done this - as it might annoy my neighbours - who I actually like! :) . I could take the bike out to the open roads a few miles from me and take it off and try this - it's a simple enough job. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Phil

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi R1200N8 - I haven't done this - as it might annoy my neighbours - who I actually like! :) . I could take the bike out to the open roads a few miles from me and take it off and try this - it's a simple enough job. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Phil
The bike isn't horribly loud without the end can - especially since you're already running the Akro. Comparatively it shouldn't be a huge difference, the cat does most of the sound damping on these systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts