BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I assume this has been covered in this forum, but for the life of me, cannot find thread. Bike has 58000 kms and the tire sensors - especially the rear - are not being "detected". It just started recently and is issue is intermittent. Ride yesterday had a tire warning light come up, but tire OK. I am thinking that the batteries are dying. I am sure I read somewhere that the replacement units are upwards of $350 OZ, but that, with a bit of skulduggery, you can winkle out the old battery and replace it. Would really rather prefer NOT to pay BMW more money. Has anybody heard of digging out the old battery and epoxy resining a new one, ta

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
Hi Michael

I suffered the same problem with my rear sensor. Apparently the RDC is supposed to give a low battery warning before failure, so if you haven't seen that, it may well be a communication issue as I had. Have a look at this thread which talks about my issue and resolution (mine is working fine now after fiddling with it).

I haven't tried the eBay Chinese items I sourced (they're branded Schrader, but ...) but I've found others on the 'net who have successfully used them. They're only $20 delivered (eventually).

You can dig out the existing CR2032 battery, with some effort and patience - here are a couple examples so you know what you're up for:
and

In each case they solder the remaining tabs to the battery (or try to). I'd not recommend this as the heat wouldn't do the battery any good. Instead, I'd buy a battery with the tabs welded onto the casing (as per the original) and solder very fine leads between the remaining tabs and the battery. Note that the tabs are spot welded to the battery casing before the battery is assembled, rather than soldered.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Wow! Great info Panzermann. Luckily haven't had to try this yet but I will if need be. Not paying BMW a fortune for this sensor. Thanks for posting mate!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
On this overall subject of tyre-pressure sensors, I fitted a pair to my late motorbike, at a cost of, IIRC, about $75 all-up. The kit comprised the two (f and r) sensors which simply screw onto the tyre-stems, externally, and a small digital read-out display that clips onto the 'bars or elsewhere suitable. Seemed like a good precaution for relatively little outlay. Given the weird tubeless-tyres-with-inner-tubes format of my new R9T I may again investigate these items. :nerd:

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here, not a Noob to the LC Boxer however.
My situation is that I'm a long distance rider and have 4 sets of rims and tires all ready to go for a full season of riding, hence dealing with a bunch of TPMS sensors has driven me to learn how to deal with these things.

Needless to say, I hope I'm not intruding on your R bike forum (I have a 2016RT), but with the major differences between our bikes being mostly the external bits, I thought this would be helpful here.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts