BMW R1200R Forum banner
181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
... upon startup let thing fully boot up, then go to ready, then start.
Don't know if you have been allowing the bike to do the full boot-up cycle previously, but potentially it is setting the throttle butterfly calibration and position during this period (I can't be certain, but there is some clicking and whirring at the throttle servos when the key is turned on) so not allowing it to complete that could affect promptness in firing up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had been letting it boot up completely previously. But I noticed that the clicking has stopped once it's on. I was starting to think that this problem was being caused by the injectors or the fuel pump not being primed properly until giving it a turn over or two. Just speculation on my part. However, that new order has prevented this from happening so far, so I'll stick to it for now I guess.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Add me to the club. 900 miles and last night after work, cranked longer than usual before it started. Then this morning, cranked like there was no fuel being injected for 6 sec or so till I released the starter. Then on the second immediate attempt, fired up like it has since day one. So after reading all the threads, is there a known fix? I am wondering if I may be inadvertently cracking the throttle open when I wrap my hands around the grip to press the starter. I know fuel injected vehicles don’t like this. Will try the “kickstand up first” theory after the dash does it’s boot up dance. And I had chicken for lunch.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Considering that I haven't seen that behavior in quite a while and I'm really doing nothing differently, I'd say just ride the bike. The 2nd-try start is a weird and intermittent thing for sure, but it doesn't seem to persist.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
From my experience, if it doesn’t start within a second or so, I’d not persist, but release the button and press again, normally for immediate effect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Still no resolution on this thread eh?? Have noticed mine does this perhaps every 10-15 starts, regardless of ambient temperature outside. Seems to me to likely be a fuel related issue as if electrical it wouldn't spin up the starter so easily. Just my take. I bet it has something to do with how the FI primes or how the engine is choked. Doesnt bother me though as my old Triumph ST would sometimes crank for 10 seconds before firing and that too was considered normal, an issue with the crank position sensor I was told. Do our roadsters have a crank position sensor? Perhaps this could be of issue.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
With this problem though, if it happens, you could hold the starter until the battery ran out and it wouldn't start. Yet, release, try it again and it starts right up. Which is why @Panzermann says if it doesn't go in a second or so, give up and go again.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it all depends on how much you care about this issue. doesnt really bother me much.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Add me to the list. Started doing this yesterday. To date, here are the only things I have changed:

1. I changed oil and filter (if that has something to do with it, god help us so let's move on)
2. I cleared all the codes using motoscan. The first time it also cleared the throttle grip sensor errors but now they persist and can't be deleted (see my other post on that). I have heard of others complain about taking their bikes to the dealer for a routine service and I bet they clear the codes as well (as people did with their GS-911). I don't have access to any firmware updates so that can't be it

Curious if anyone can tie their experience to clearing the codes event or taking the bike to the dealer and experiencing the problem thereafter.
Also, if it's throttle sensor related.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine hasn't done it in nearly 3 years since replacing the stuffed bmw battery but I'm wondering if it was merely the act of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery that did the trick. You know the rule with anything electronic or to do with a computer or smart phone playing up - always turn it off and on again. As the modern R is run by a computer that stays on standby constantly a reboot could be worth a try, one would only need to disconnect and reconnect the earth lead so no need to pull the battery right out to test the theory. I can't try it as I don't have the issue

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, I rebooted the bike today i.e disconnected both leads and even shorted positive/negative terminals together (without the battery of course) for about 30 seconds. Not sure it's applicable but a good way to reset anything I suppose. Need a few more days and tries to be sure but I started at least 4 times on my stop and go trip and no issues. With a hexezcan, LED lights, constantly fiddling with the ODB connector to take readings, letting it idle for a long time, who knows I may have drained the battery. The battery tender was going for a few hours and still not 80% so who knows.

I carried my portable jump start gizmo with me just to be safe, didn't need it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I was away for over a week on a camper trip, and left the R parked on the battery tender. Tried today to fire it up and it started pretty much as fast as I could press the starter. Not sure if that is a hint that it may be a battery fluke, or the fact that while it was sitting, the ambient air temps remained consistent, or that the issue may have cured itself. Will continue to monitor and update.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For what it is worth, I leave mine on a battery tender (Optimate 4) when it is not being used. Often it will sit for a month or more between rides. Starting it after one of these periods, it always fires up on the first hit to the starter button. However, when I am traveling and it spends a few days sitting without being ridden and with no battery tender, it often requires a second try to fire up.

I put all the mileage on it during multi-day trips of 5000 to 10,000 km. I almost never take it out of the bedroom unless I am going across country or continent (30,000 km in three years so far).

Reactions: joebloggz

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 R1200RS, with all the options and Pro Package. Same issue with not starting on the first try. Just bought it used. It started fine on the warm days when I bought it, but if the temp is below 75°F or so; it will take two attempts to start. Quite weird and frustrating for a bike that was $20,000+ new.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
What's on the odometer, @JRLegion? Mine was like that at new, but 95% of the time is now first touch of the button, hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'm in this thread somewhere as having had this little problem. But you know I can't remember the last time it happened--it really has been quite a while. (bike has just about 18K miles)

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not looking for a bandaid fix or anything but... I have a 2016 that sometimes doesn't start on the first try. I recently bought the booster plug to help smooth out idol acceleration. Due to the nature of the device it may help with this issue too. I've only had it installed for a few days now but starting the bike is much more instantaneous and direct feeling. Less sputtering from the exhaust at lower RPMs and better starting from a stop. I'll update if it doesn't start on the first try again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
SO can we take a gamble that this is a battery issue? Been having it sometimes with my bike. Battery is original to the bike.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
SO can we take a gamble that this is a battery issue? Been having it sometimes with my bike. Battery is original to the bike.
I've really never bought into the battery thing. For one thing, back when I intermittently had this problem it seemed more likely to happen when ambient temps were higher, which is when batteries have the most available cranking amps. Also, my problem went away over time (at least until now that I've talked about it, no doubt :wink2: ) with the same batt, which are not known to improve with age.

181 - 200 of 236 Posts