BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to change the tires on my 2015 R1200R and was looking for some recommendations.

I am based in southern California and we can fortunately ride year round and rarely need to go out on wet days :)

Around 50% of the time I have my wife on the back and I am not an aggressive rider.

Thanks

· Premium Member
287 Posts
Hello,

If you search the forum for the keyword tires/tyres you will find quite a few threads/posts w/ opinions and recommendations e.g. this thread.

P.s.
As I had been reading those threads throughout time I have noticed the Michelin Pilot Road 4/then 5/now 6 typically sits at the very top in terms of popularity/rider's choice here,
And - to top these recommendations - one could also consider mixing PR-rear + PP-front as per this post (courtesy of @Mr. Badger)

· Registered
61 Posts
"Around 50% of the time I have my wife on the back and I am not an aggressive rider. "

Based on that comment I would go with sport-touring tires like the Dunlop Roadsmart series or the Michelin Road series or Pirelli Angel ST; If you like Metzler you can go with the Z8s, the factory mounted ones.

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
If you search the forum for the keyword tires/tyres you will find quite a few posts w/ opinions and recommendations . . .
Thanks rxc. The tire-specific threads (like this one) are now gathered into their own sub-forum for easier searching. HTH.

Cheers! Dave

• Helpful
Reactions: Panzermann and rxc

· Registered
144 Posts
Not aggressive rider, needs to carry pillion, almost no wet riding. I'd say go for whatever tire gives the best mileage. That's probably the Dunlop Roadmart 4. Should also be excellent on all other sport touring metrics. Make sure you mount the GT version (to handle extra weight better).

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
Make sure you mount the GT version (to handle extra weight better
The GT version is unnecessary for Roadsters, I reckon. The regular versions have sufficient load capacity rating, the GT versions simply providing more stability at very high speeds for heavy bikes. The side effect (for Michelin’s version, at least) is a loss of feel in the handling.

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
From my user experience, the GT version is a great option if one wants to convert the Roadster handling into a well-planted land barge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

· Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
289 Posts
The Pirelli Angel GT A I once ordered for my FJR. When I had a flat tire, it was hardly noticeable not sitting on the bike.
You cannot see that they are flat, because they don't go flat without someone sitting on it.That's how stiff the are...

· Registered
144 Posts
The GT version is unnecessary for Roadsters, I reckon. The regular versions have sufficient load capacity rating, the GT versions simply providing more stability at very high speeds for heavy bikes. The side effect (for Michelin’s version, at least) is a loss of feel in the handling.
Not sure how easy it is to feel the difference in handling, but do note the OP's lack of interest in aggressive riding and the regular need to carry a pillion.

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
My experience was with PR4 GT and I couldn’t wait to wear them out due to the lack of feel in all situations.

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Same as PZ, I was referring to the PR4 - GT version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 11 of 11 Posts