BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird issue with my bike.

After riding for a while and then stopping, say to fill up with gas, I sometimes have a hard time restarting the bike. The engine will turn over with the starter but never seem to catch. Right where the engine would normally catch during start-up, the bike's electrical system will restart. The starter cuts out, the dash goes dead, front light turns off, but then it all immediately comes back to life.

It seems to go away with a short wait, so maybe something is overheating? For a while I thought it might be a faulty side-stand switch, but I can pull up the side-stand and it still won't start, but I can bump-start the bike on a downhill slope.

I know the basics of engine mechanics, but I'm not super technical, so I'm not sure where to start looking.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Sounds like the system voltage is dropping too low during start-up. This is what normally causes the electronics to reboot. You could check/clean all battery connections, but it's most likely the battery.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a weird issue with my bike.

After riding for a while and then stopping, say to fill up with gas, I sometimes have a hard time restarting the bike. The engine will turn over with the starter but never seem to catch. Right where the engine would normally catch during start-up, the bike's electrical system will restart. The starter cuts out, the dash goes dead, front light turns off, but then it all immediately comes back to life.

It seems to go away with a short wait, so maybe something is overheating? For a while I thought it might be a faulty side-stand switch, but I can pull up the side-stand and it still won't start, but I can bump-start the bike on a downhill slope.

I know the basics of engine mechanics, but I'm not super technical, so I'm not sure where to start looking.

Any ideas?
I have a 2017 water cooled and was having similar issues. There was a recall requiring a software update to the ride by wire throttle. Probably not an issue for 2015 but you might ask your dealer about comparable software updates for your bike if the battery suggestions don't pan out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2017 water cooled and was having similar issues. There was a recall requiring a software update to the ride by wire throttle. Probably not an issue for 2015 but you might ask your dealer about comparable software updates for your bike if the battery suggestions don't pan out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts