BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to change the front tyre on my K53. Calipers removed, pinch bolts removed, axled end cap screw removed. The axle turns easily in the fork legs, but won't start moving out of the wheel. I don't believe there is a thread on the outside of the axle, so it should pull out now, but it doesn't seem to wan t to leave the wheel. I've tried a gentle tap witheth end cap partially installed, but no movement.

I'm thinking that there may be corrosion between the inner bearing and the axle. Has anyone esle experienced this?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,139 Posts
Not 100% certain but I think it's threaded ,will have a look this afternoon. Changed my tyre year before last so cannot remember if it's threaded or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Issue resolved. I reinstalled the calipers to hold the wheel and escalated my "gentle tap" to firm tap, and after a couple of strikes, it moved. When the axle emerged, it looks like the grease had dried off and stopped lubricating.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I usually use an Allen key (22mm) in the open end of the axle to turn it a bit to free it up, once the pinch bolts are loose and the end bolt is removed. There are lots of inexpensive variations on a "hex axle tool" with different sizes of Allen key, some with a standard 3/8 square drive in each end.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I usually remove the end cap and then thread it back on a turn or 2 and then tap with a rubber mallet to loosen it up and then it will just release.

you can also leave the pinch bolts tight on the right for leg if you do not have an exle tool but the 12 mm Allan hex is a must.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts