BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R LC 2015 KTM 1290 SDR 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install bar end mirrors on my 16 R1200R LC. When I remove bar end there is an insert inside the handlebar, that according to the parts diagram is the bar weight. It does not appear to be easily removable; I have searched for an answer with mixed and confusing results. To use any of the common mirror sets it will require this insert to be removed, can I safely get it out and if so, how? See attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
The bar-end weight is the metal black part you removed to expose that threaded hole. What you see in your picture should be part of the handlebar itself. You need a bar-end compatible with whatever mirror you're trying to install. There are bar-ends that have a channel to install bar-end mirrors, but forgot who makes them. Post which mirrors you're trying to install, and you should get the specific help you need. Good luck.

Reactions: MGL and Panzermann

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
11 Posts
The inserts that the bar end weights screw into should come out as they are likely threaded. Can't speak to BMW specifically but I just put new bar end weights on a Triumph Speed Triple with similar handlebars. The bar end weight retaining screw had corroded on one side and the entire assembly screwed out instead of just the screw holding the bar end weight on.

I have to think the BMW works the same way since the alternative would be a pressure fitting pounded into the end of handlebar, not very German like.

Now getting them to screw out (and therefore have a hollow end that many bar end mirrors require) might be a bit of trick. You could screw in some long bolts with red threadlocker. That may grip enough to screw out the existing inserts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Try rhinomoto barends.
Those are the ones I was thinking about, but forgot the name :). Great help.

the alternative would be a pressure fitting pounded into the end of handlebar, not very German like.
There's a third alternative, and that's my guess of what BMW does: Glue them in place (a 4th would be welded in place). If there's no screw inside the threads, it has to be pressure fitted, or glued. Besides, the mechanical ones are 2 pieces, and have the threads at the back, so it can tighten the whole thing against the handlebar. It's possible that a new system was used, and we're unaware of it. Maybe the picture from a parts website can give us that answer. Has anybody looked into that? And the service manual for sure.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
11 Posts
I looked at the parts website for BMW and Triumph. Both show the handlebar as one unit with the bits pre-installed and not available for separate purchase.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
I looked at the parts website for BMW and Triumph. Both show the handlebar as one unit with the bits pre-installed and not available for separate purchase.
There are no ‘bits preinstalled’. The handlebar is manufactured that way, in a proper German way, with an M8 threaded hole opening rather than plain tube with something stuffed down it.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R LC 2015 KTM 1290 SDR 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and information. The threaded portion of the bar is 1 3/4", regardless of how it is made I have concluded it cannot be removed or altered. The suggestion of rhinomoto bar end seems like the best solution, I will investigate further their available options. Again, many thanks to all for their help.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Now I'm curious what's the deal with our handlebars. Ha ha. I really doubt it's all metal, so my question is how are the inserts attached to the bars: welded, glued, or press-fit in place. If somebody knows for certain, please post it :). But Rhinomoto would be my choice for bar-end mirrors. Good luck.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
75 Posts
So, I can add pictures for you guys on the handlebars as follows: -

1. This shows the threaded section the bar end weight that you have removed fixes to BUT note I have an insert fitted (with thread lock applied) as the photo because I use Rizoma spyball bar end mirrors; Rizoma use a smaller diameter fixing bolt than the OEM bar end weight fixing thread.
Camera lens Camera accessory Wood Automotive tire Finger

2. This shows the handlebar grip end in plan view. You can see it is highly polished and no sign of any welding of the insert - it looks like it is part of the casting with the end of the bar being solid and then drilled / tapped for the bar weight fixing bolt.
Textile Wood Pattern Electric blue Font

3. This shows the handlebar in plan view so that you can see the transition from polished end where the grip and switchgear fits and the textured finish that is exposed to the elements. The whole handlebar construction appears to be one piece - no joints or welds that I can see.
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Grey Denim

I hope that helps and let me know if you want any more photos.

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Awesome photos; thanks. You can clearly see in the first picture that the insert is a different piece than the handlebar itself (as expected). But definitely not welded, so it's either press-fit. Or maybe both, to avoid rotation, if somebody puts more than the 14 ft/lbs that is called for.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Awesome photos; thanks. You can clearly see in the first picture that the insert is a different piece than the handlebar itself (as expected). But definitely not welded, so it's either press-fit. Or maybe both, to avoid rotation, if somebody puts more than the 14 ft/lbs that is called for.
You must not be seeing the same thing I am. The insert, as @PeteG says, is an additional threaded part that he added for his bar end mirrors. The rest of that bar end is solid, with a tapped hole, no insert.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Look closely, and you can see the thickness of the handlebar (about 2 to 3mm), then the separate material of the insert. Could be wrong, since I cannot see it in person, but I'm almost sure it's an insert. But there's a very easy way to find out: hit the handlebar with a screwdriver around the middle, and the sound will immediately tell you if it's solid, or hollowed. I'd be extremely surprised if it's all solid, but guess it's always possible. I have my bike covered, and buried in a corner of the garage, so can't get to it easily to check mine.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
It's a hollow 'bar with flat, threaded ends that are part of the bar rather than separate inserts fixed in some way to the bar ends. Does it really matter how BMW manufactures them?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm going to make an exception to answer to any of your posts: No, but I want to know how they're fixed. Am I violating any rules here by asking that?:unsure: But I understand unless somebody cuts one up, I'll probably never know. And that's okay; I won't lose any sleep over that:p.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts