BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an engine rattle on acceleration on my R1250R HP, took it to my local dealership and they suggested that it was the variable cam shaft technology or the detonation, what ever that is. Anyone else experienced the same problem. Feed back welcome.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
The 1250 has knock sensing, so it shouldn’t be detonation. The dealer should know this and know the difference between the sound of detonation and that of shift-cam.

Detonation (knock) is where the fuel-air mixture explodes of its own accord rather than burns with a flame-front starting at the ignition spark. It’s very dangerous for an engine due to the shock of the explosion. It’s usually caused by hard acceleration at very low rpm or fuel of too low octane rating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is a noisy engine. Sounds great when cold but like a bag of spanners when warm/hot.

Ride with ear plugs and enjoy?

Matt

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is a big twin. Just looking at it sitting on its side stand ticking over, well I'm impressed it doesn't just shake itself to bits.
Mine makes a strange rattly noise at times, which I'm stuggling to describe. Something like crates of old milk bottles covered by a heavy rug rattling about in a trailer over a rough surface.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an engine rattle on acceleration on my R1250R HP, took it to my local dealership and they suggested that it was the variable cam shaft technology or the detonation, what ever that is. Anyone else experienced the same problem. Feed back welcome.
Common observation with the 1250s. It doesn't appear to be a problem from what I've been able to find out from various sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all the information and suggestions, apparently it's normal according to another BMW master technician here in Port Macquarie.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This happens on the left side of my 1250gs. According to my dealer this happens on some but not all 1250 engines. BMW don't have a solution. I did hear of most of left side engine components being replaced under warranty on a 1250GS. Also heard of one that had noise but no issues after 70,000 kms. Getting mine checked at 10k service on 24th, so at least issue is logged against bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts