BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member. Was looking for information about removing the tank panel, and your answers were so helpful that I decided to join.

I have a 2011 GSA that I use for long-distance and off-road riding here in Colorado, but I wanted a bike that I would enjoy cleaning, staring at in my garage, and riding, as long as it wasn't a Harley. I loved my Harleys when I was younger, but I'm over that, now.

While standing at the parts counter at BMW of Denver, this 2020 R1200R said Hello, and it was over for me. I think it was the bling (Option 719).

I had test-ridden the R before, but found it too flimsy compared to the GS and RT, both of which I've owned several times before. I'd also owned an RS for a bit, but had the same reaction to it. It felt too much like a toy for my taste. Maybe it was the light flywheel, maybe something else. Dunno. But this R was so purty that I decided to test ride it. The 1250 engine is very different from the 1200, and whether the engine alone transformed the R for me or whether the rest of the bike changed, too, I'm not sure.

What I liked the most was the character of the engine at low RPM. When you first fire it up, it gives you a pleasant rumble, even with the stock cans. I like a bike to have some character. The WC boxers had it, the LC boxers didn't. Even though they were more powerful engines. Until this 1250. It's got character at low RPM, it's pleasant to cruise in, and it feels like it will launch you in the midrange. Haven't really explored the midrange yet because I'm still breaking it in.

Anyway, glad you all are here. Hope I can yelp you out like you helped me.

Rick

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Wow! Nice bike. Welcome to the forum Rick. Colorado....hmmm might be a while before you can ride that beauty. Oh well, as long as you like staring at her. Spring will be here soon.

Reactions: Rick Ramsey

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Rick, you're in the best place for these great bikes. Beautiful motorbike and :coolpics: of the striking details. Drool!

Glad you're here, please stick around, and update your signature & profile while the snow's flying and you're stuck inside anyway ;)

Thanks and Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome, would love to see pics of the whole bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Nice bike. Welcome to the forum Rick. Colorado....hmmm might be a while before you can ride that beauty. Oh well, as long as you like staring at her. Spring will be here soon.
That's right, Carroll, only 7 months of Winter left. I can almost smell the wildflowers blooming already! :)

Rick

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts